Mars Landing if you missed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,004
2,780
113
True, but those chemicals in the water came from chemtrails from airplanes. You see them every day. Of course, the chemicals in the chemtrails are just hydrogen and oxygen (commonly known as water).
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
Wait til the mic picks up the Vandy whistler, the rover will be hoping for an asteroid collision just to make it stop.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
You believe we will deplete our resources until they are worse than the resources on Mars?

We are not making anymore Elements. Iron, Titanium, Rare Earth metals, etc. Even water is plentiful on some jovian moons. And the gas giants have more methane than earth.

Wich resource do you think is more plentiful on earth?
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,004
2,780
113
Because we are rapidly depleting resources on Earth. And, if we have the technology to send people to other planets, we can also build habitats there that will be liveable for future generations.

AOC and Kerry say the earth only has 10 years left without drastic climate mediation efforts. I don't believe that, but terraforming Mars is many years away, and so is colonization, if we're depending on those efforts to same humanity.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
I don't get the space thing. I can see benefit perhaps from "Star Wars Defense Systems" but as far as landing in places w/ ****** atmospheres, little to no water, oxygen, extreme temperatures, etc I don't get it. People in this country don't want to wear a mask to the grocery store, how you gonna get them to put a damn space suit on to go outside?

Eventually, there will be another Chicxulub meteor. or a shoemaker Levy -9 that hits Earth.

Having everyone on the planet that gets hit by that, does not end well.

No one is saying it will be done by 2022, but it will be done.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,177
5,721
113
You believe we will deplete our resources until they are worse than the resources on Mars?

We are not going to deplete our resources until they are worse than the resources on Mars. Getting to Mars will further deplete our resources. But if we are going to try to get somewhere that might be a better preserve our species beyond earth, then Mars is the next logical step. We'll have to have a pretty incredible advance in the speed of travel for anything else to be possible (or we'll have to build a nuclear space ship and just know that whoever is sent off is never coming back), but even if it turns out that never happens, we'll probably benefit enough from spin off technologies and knowledge that going to mars will be worth it.
 

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
718
603
93
Pretty sure you're right about the filming of westerns. I heard the tattooine scenes were filmed in the dunes west of yuma, just inside California.

Completely unrelated note--the side by sides and sand rails those Californians have for those dunes would dwarf those found here in the south. its impressive watching them get after it out there
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Because we are rapidly depleting resources on Earth. And, if we have the technology to send people to other planets, we can also build habitats there that will be liveable for future generations.

Are there any businesses on Mars that accept Bitcoin?
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,004
2,780
113
Yes, those dunes are pretty impressive. You'd think you were in the Sahara if you didn't know better.

I was wrong about the Joshua Tree National Forest - it's in California. But the route between Vegas and Phoenix is indeed full of Joshua trees.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
Oxygen on earth is primarily a result of plant species. Not sure the ratio of how much is natural and how much was produced by plants.

So your theory is no Oxygen, anywhere in the universe, where there are not plants.

I think you should look at your science books again.

Again, Why is Mars red? Or what is the natural state of most metals?

Think there might be a way to get Oxygen, hydrogen, and iron from that "red martian dirt"?

Hint: Oxygen is in more places than just air.
 
Last edited:

Msubulldogfan1

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
8,835
80
48
So your theory is no Oxygen, anywhere in the universe, where there are not plants.

I think you should look at your science books again.

Again, Why is Mars red? Or what is the natural state of most metals?

Think there might be a way to get Oxygen, hydrogen, and iron from that "red martian dirt"?

Hint: Oxygen is in more places than just air.

How did you arrive at the conclusion I believe there is no oxygen without plants? All I said was oxygen on earth was a result from plants.

Calm your tits.
 

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
718
603
93
I've done some semi-low flying from vegas - hoover dam - colorado river - lake havasu city. Desolate, yet beautiful, terrain. Maybe it's just because i'm used to the pine tree flatness of mississippi.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,130
113
You asked which resources would be more plentiful

You think there is not oxygen or water on other planets?

How do you think both of them got here?

Hint, How did mars get the RED color?

On earth. I didn’t say there wasn’t any of those resources anywhere else in the universe. How many of earth’s resources are you going to use up trying to find/process resources on another planet into useable forms?
 

Msubulldogfan1

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
8,835
80
48
On earth. I didn’t say there wasn’t any of those resources anywhere else in the universe. How many of earth’s resources are you going to use up trying to find/process resources on another planet into useable forms?

It’s not JUST about finding other resources, that’s part of it. another part is it would be a fail safe in case earth gets destroyed. Another part is ambition and human ingenuity.

We have the whole galaxy out there, unexplored and uninhabited by humans. Why not go out there? Let’s see what else the universe has to offer. I understand an individual not being interested in those things, but as an intelligent species, it’s out duty to explore and discover. My opinion, anyway.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
On earth. I didn’t say there wasn’t any of those resources anywhere else in the universe. How many of earth’s resources are you going to use up trying to find/process resources on another planet into useable forms?

Well, my understanding of the 2150 mars colonization plan, is to take a minimal amount from here to set up a way to process them there.

If only there were smart people looking at how to use the martian surface to make water and oxygen from the soil there. Maybe we could send a rover with tools to test using the soil to do just that! They should probably land it what we think is an old sea bed. Let's call it Perseverance. Maybe even post a cool video of it landing.

Maybe the pirate Dawg could post a link on Sixpack so we could see it.

But I guess all those NASA guys are dummy's compared to jethreuxdawg!
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,130
113
Well, my understanding of the 2150 mars colonization plan, is to take a minimal amount from here to set up a way to process them there.

If only there were smart people looking at how to use the martian surface to make water and oxygen from the soil there. Maybe we could send a rover with tools to test using the soil to do just that! They should probably land it what we think is an old sea bed. Let's call it Perseverance. Maybe even post a cool video of it landing.

Maybe the pirate Dawg could post a link on Sixpack so we could see it.

But I guess all those NASA guys are dummy's compared to jethreuxdawg!

Feel better?
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,130
113
Another part is ambition and human ingenuity.

...as an intelligent species, it’s out duty to explore and discover.

I’ll give you the first part. The second part doesn’t really pertain to me.

If someone wants the thrill and the glory, go for it. To me, that’s different than finding new resources. I’m skeptical that we would ever produce resources elsewhere to justify the resources spent here to make it happen. But maybe I’m John II of Portugal, the guy who told Columbus, “No”.
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,355
10,681
113
Originally Posted by Msubulldogfan1

Another part is ambition and human ingenuity.

...as an intelligent species, it’s out duty to explore and discover.

I’ll give you the first part. The second part doesn’t really pertain to me.

 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,130
113
Nope. Cannot believe some is so stupid to comment about "wasting resources" in a thread about the landing of a craft to learn how to Produce the resrouces he's concerend about wasting.

But here you are.
In my limited experience processing resources here, I’m gonna guess it takes an astronomical amount more energy to produce resources on another planet. I’m guessing we’d get more bag for our buck figuring out ways to recapture spent fossil fuels here while reversing pollution.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
In my limited experience processing resources here, I’m gonna guess it takes an astronomical amount more energy to produce resources on another planet. I’m guessing we’d get more bag for our buck figuring out ways to recapture spent fossil fuels here while reversing pollution.

Why would we transport energy? That's incredibly stupid.

And why is it either find more resources off earth Or recapture and convert CO2 ( hard to "recapture fossil fuels" as they are no longer Fuel nor Fossils after we use them") on earth?

Is there a reason we could not do both?

Or maybe, just hear me out, there are smart people working on ways to convert CO2 into Oxygen for use on Mars or the moon for human missions.... Maybe they could work at NASA too. Maybe they could put a box on that rover as well... See prior description
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,130
113
I never said transport energy. I think you’ve replied to three different things from different posters that just were not said. And you call me the dumb one...
I do support your effort to go to Mars. God speed.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
I never said transport energy. I think you’ve replied to three different things from different posters that just were not said. And you call me the dumb one...
I do support your effort to go to Mars. God speed.

Then someone posting as you did

In my limited experience processing resources here, I’m gonna guess it takes an astronomical amount more energy to produce resources on another planet. I’m guessing we’d get more bag for our buck figuring out ways to recapture spent fossil fuels here while reversing pollution.

What does it matter how much energy it takes if we are not transporting it from here? If we make energy on mars, (Which again is the plan) and used that energy to mine the planet, and send stuff to earth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?