LSU going broke to win

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,819
17,715
113
Literally. Their athletics department finished last year with a $44 million deficit. This year the deficit sits at $26 million. Over the past six years, they have overspent their budget by $177.5 million.

Insane.
 

muscleknight

Senior
Mar 25, 2001
1,109
936
113
They should wait until they fire Kiffin then declare BK. I wonder how buyouts are handled in BK?
 

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,825
3,409
113
I know a few years ago the actual university was in serious financial trouble. It doesn't look like those Cajuns are very good with money.
 

JohnnySolo

Senior
May 6, 2011
699
538
93
Maybe that is why clemtech refuses to indulge. Maybe they don't have the money to compete now that it is legal.
 

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,819
17,715
113
According to what I've read recently, USC is spending quite a bit these days.

It's the ROI that's the problem.
But we cannot compete with the likes of the Texas schools and LSU when it comes to spending.

I think someone posted recently that we were middle of the pack in the SEC when it comes to NIL spending. Middle of the pack is where we exist.
 

Dabo's Weenie

Senior
Nov 30, 2024
927
994
93
But we cannot compete with the likes of the Texas schools and LSU when it comes to spending.

I think someone posted recently that we were middle of the pack in the SEC when it comes to NIL spending. Middle of the pack is where we exist.

Something like 16th-19th in the nation and ahead of some "big" name schools.

It's not the ranking, it's the differential. But shop smart, don't throw cash at it and assume "you get what you pay for". It's about value, with all compensated members of the team.
 

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,825
3,409
113
But we cannot compete with the likes of the Texas schools and LSU when it comes to spending.

I think someone posted recently that we were middle of the pack in the SEC when it comes to NIL spending. Middle of the pack is where we exist.
Spending more than UGA, not getting close to the ROI.

I think too much big money is going to the wrong players.

The poor mouthing needs to stop, we are spending plenty of money.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,998
5,752
113
Spending more than UGA, not getting close to the ROI.

I think too much big money is going to the wrong players.

The poor mouthing needs to stop, we are spending plenty of money.

If it is true we are spending more than UGA, then that is embarrassing.
 

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,825
3,409
113
I believe our NIL budget this season is ranked #8 in the SEC-between $32M and $35M.
The list I saw showed UGA at around $30M. I have to believe coaching is the big difference.

LSU is going to go broke trying to buy a NC and they may not even get to play for one. For all the praise Lane gets about being such a great coach, he has never won a championship of any kind anywhere he has been.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,998
5,752
113
The list I saw showed UGA at around $30M. I have to believe coaching is the big difference.

LSU is going to go broke trying to buy a NC and they may not even get to play for one. For all the praise Lane gets about being such a great coach, he has never won a championship of any kind anywhere he has been.

He won a couple conference championships, but a lower level.

I think Lane will easily make them perennial contenders, but can he get them over that last hump? Not many do.
 

3USC1801

Joined Dec 10, 2020
Dec 10, 2020
1,290
3,481
113
The list I saw showed UGA at around $30M. I have to believe coaching is the big difference.

LSU is going to go broke trying to buy a NC and they may not even get to play for one. For all the praise Lane gets about being such a great coach, he has never won a championship of any kind anywhere he has been.
I’d like to believe this is true for USC but I can’t believe they spend this much and still can’t field a better team than what we saw on the field the past three games.
  • Texas: $45–55M
  • LSU: $47–50M
  • Texas A&M: $45–50M
  • Ole Miss: $39–45M
  • Tennessee: $41–43M
  • Alabama: $38–42M
  • Florida: $31–41M
  • South Carolina: $32–35M
  • Auburn: $31–35M
  • Georgia: $31–34M
  • Oklahoma: $28–34M
  • Missouri: $27–30M
  • Mississippi State: $25–30M
  • Vanderbilt: $25–28M
  • Kentucky: $23–26M
  • Arkansas: $22–25M
 

USCEE82

Senior
Feb 17, 2024
991
769
93
Literally. Their athletics department finished last year with a $44 million deficit. This year the deficit sits at $26 million. Over the past six years, they have overspent their budget by $177.5 million.

Insane.
Wait how do you have a deficit? Who's not getting paid? Is China buying their debt too? LoL
 

adcoop

All-Conference
Jan 10, 2004
1,913
1,829
113
According to what I've read recently, USC is spending quite a bit these days.

It's the ROI that's the problem.
I have been saying this for several years, but some think we need some big money donor to come in and save us. First, I would reduce the MBB NIL Budget to 0 until we either get a new coach or get some players in that come close to competing. Why pay guys to come in DFL.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,998
5,752
113
I’d like to believe this is true for USC but I can’t believe they spend this much and still can’t field a better team than what we saw on the field the past three games.
  • Texas: $45–55M
  • LSU: $47–50M
  • Texas A&M: $45–50M
  • Ole Miss: $39–45M
  • Tennessee: $41–43M
  • Alabama: $38–42M
  • Florida: $31–41M
  • South Carolina: $32–35M
  • Auburn: $31–35M
  • Georgia: $31–34M
  • Oklahoma: $28–34M
  • Missouri: $27–30M
  • Mississippi State: $25–30M
  • Vanderbilt: $25–28M
  • Kentucky: $23–26M
  • Arkansas: $22–25M


If these numbers are actually true, and thats a big if, this destroys NIL as anywhere near the excuse we heard it was for so long.
 

sclawman77

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2011
1,597
1,458
113
The list I saw showed UGA at around $30M. I have to believe coaching is the big difference.

LSU is going to go broke trying to buy a NC and they may not even get to play for one. For all the praise Lane gets about being such a great coach, he has never won a championship of any kind anywhere he has been.
I've always personally thought Kiffin was overrated. I said same thing last year when LSU hired him. Yes, he owns us but that's not saying much. He was handed the Raiders job in his early 30s and did little. He won a title as OC at Bama and has been head coach of some solid teams but hasn't brought home a title anywhere as HC. He'll leave a program on a dime (left UT campus in the middle of the night for Southern Cal). Then Southern Cal fired him after a bowl game a few years after and wouldn't let him ride on the team bus. He had to rebuild his name at FAU. The press builds this mystique around him and he's a good offensive game caller but he makes bigger headlines for controversy than field success imo.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3USC1801

3USC1801

Joined Dec 10, 2020
Dec 10, 2020
1,290
3,481
113
If these numbers are actually true, and thats a big if, this destroys NIL as anywhere near the excuse we heard it was for so long.
I agree about the veracity of the numbers and I checked multiple sources. Who really knows. One thing is clear, USC has not climbed out of the abyss yet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123

atlanta cock#

Heisman
Jun 1, 1998
14,534
35,825
98
I’d like to believe this is true for USC but I can’t believe they spend this much and still can’t field a better team than what we saw on the field the past three games.
  • Texas: $45–55M
  • LSU: $47–50M
  • Texas A&M: $45–50M
  • Ole Miss: $39–45M
  • Tennessee: $41–43M
  • Alabama: $38–42M
  • Florida: $31–41M
  • South Carolina: $32–35M
  • Auburn: $31–35M
  • Georgia: $31–34M
  • Oklahoma: $28–34M
  • Missouri: $27–30M
  • Mississippi State: $25–30M
  • Vanderbilt: $25–28M
  • Kentucky: $23–26M
  • Arkansas: $22–25M
I'm surprised aTm is below LSU, UGA is below us, and that Arky is at the bottom. I question this.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,998
5,752
113
He won a title as OC at Bama and has been head coach of some solid teams but hasn't brought home a title anywhere as HC.

He did have two conference titles at FAU.

But to be fair, there are a LOT of coaches considered good coaches who haven't won a national title.
 

fwm

Redshirt
Sep 7, 2025
43
15
8
For starters- to get value for money spent
Admin has to stop giving a long term contract to a football head coach as soon as they show a pulse. Couple that with -don't renegotiate/upgrade compensation before end of current contract.
 

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,819
17,715
113
Something like 16th-19th in the nation and ahead of some "big" name schools.

It's not the ranking, it's the differential. But shop smart, don't throw cash at it and assume "you get what you pay for". It's about value, with all compensated members of the team.
But still middle of the pack in the SEC, which is all that matters since that is where the bulk of our games come from. Just like recruiting. We could be top 20 nationally but ninth in the SEC.

The national ranking means zilch
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,998
5,752
113
But still middle of the pack in the SEC, which is all that matters since that is where the bulk of our games come from. Just like recruiting. We could be top 20 nationally but ninth in the SEC.

The national ranking means zilch

Technically the top half of the SEC. :) But we're splitting hairs there.

What concerns me, if these numbers are real, is who we are outspending, yet not performing as well as. And the gap to those teams only a few spaces above us isn't as large as I believed.

We are not getting our money's worth.
 

Deathstar

Junior
Sep 6, 2026
281
222
43
Carrying that much debt year after year is not sustainable, unless you have a Federal Reserve to just keep printing money. LSU does not have a Fed, eventually they will need a bailout.
 

Harvard Gamecock

All-Conference
May 5, 2014
3,312
3,042
113
Can you imagine the meltdown if LSU loses today. That will be 2 loses.
Getting practically eliminated from the CFP before the end of September. Astonishing.
 

Dabo's Weenie

Senior
Nov 30, 2024
927
994
93
Something like 16th-19th in the nation and ahead of some "big" name schools.

It's not the ranking, it's the differential. But shop smart, don't throw cash at it and assume "you get what you pay for". It's about value, with all compensated members of the team.
But still middle of the pack in the SEC, which is all that matters since that is where the bulk of our games come from. Just like recruiting. We could be top 20 nationally but ninth in the SEC.

The national ranking means zilch

Is there an echo in here? :unsure: 😄
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football What gives Shane Beamer confidence he can turn season around after South Carolina's third straight loss
  2. 02 TheBigSpur Football #24 Kentucky 35, South Carolina 34 | Rapid Reaction
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football Everything LaNorris Sellers said after the loss to Kentucky
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football The 3-2-1: Key Plays, game balls, and a burning question from the collapse against Kentucky
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football South Carolina-Kentucky: Instant thoughts, key moments, what this loss means