Looking for some good show recommendations

Gibbs6

Freshman
Sep 25, 2026
105
60
7
Seems like the no pics wife and I just wrapped up watching a few different series lately.
Paradise and Outer Banks were the last two. Any suggestions on some good shows/series. I’d prefer something that has at least 4-5 seasons as I don’t want to be looking for something new again soon and I also don’t want to watch a season and then needing to be waiting for a new season to come out.
Thanks in advance.
 

Rastafarian

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2025
1,475
2,161
113
Seems like the no pics wife and I just wrapped up watching a few different series lately.
Paradise and Outer Banks were the last two. Any suggestions on some good shows/series. I’d prefer something that has at least 4-5 seasons as I don’t want to be looking for something new again soon and I also don’t want to watch a season and then needing to be waiting for a new season to come out.
Thanks in advance.
White lotus
Schitts creek
Narcos
Succession
Silicon valley
Breaking bad
Better call saul
Barry
 

LafayetteBear

Heisman
Nov 30, 2009
35,115
10,595
113
I tend to prefer foreign made shows over the usual glop of American made police, fire, EMT, and hospital shows. There are some really good American made shows (a number of them are named in posts above this one), but I have found that some other countries produce interesting and entertaining shows. But in most cases, you have to be willing to either: (1) watch a version that has a dubbed English language audio (so that the actors' lips do not match the sound you are hearing, kind of like old Japanese monster movies); or (2) if you prefer that the audio be in the original language, read subtitles as you go along. I prefer the subtitles, particularly since I can back things up a few seconds if I miss something.

I have watched a fair amount of foreign language programming and I tend to favor Korean, Turkish, Spanish, and Brazilian TV series. Mainly on Netflix, because Amazon and Hulu have too many damn commercials.
 

Gibbs6

Freshman
Sep 25, 2026
105
60
7
I guess I should have specified that we have most streaming apps but not hbo max or Apple + although I feel like we may get Apple + again as we still need to watch the new season of Ted lasso.
 

What Would Jesus Do?

All-Conference
Nov 28, 2010
35,691
4,960
113
I guess I should have specified that we have most streaming apps but not hbo max or Apple + although I feel like we may get Apple + again as we still need to watch the new season of Ted lasso.
And for Slow Horses.

I assume you've watched For All Mankind and the Star City spinoff.

Another unique and interesting show on AppleTV is Sugar.

I liked Lucky, too, although it took me a couple of episodes to decide it was good.
 

Gibbs6

Freshman
Sep 25, 2026
105
60
7
And for Slow Horses.

I assume you've watched For All Mankind and the Star City spinoff.

Another unique and interesting show on AppleTV is Sugar.

I liked Lucky, too, although it took me a couple of episodes to decide it was good.
Only show we watched on Apple + was Ted Lasso. Basically got the subscription to watch it and then canceled it right after.
I don’t really see the need to have subscriptions to Disney, Hulu, Netflix and Prime already when I basically get to watch tv from 9-10 at night when we get the kids down for bed.
 

What Would Jesus Do?

All-Conference
Nov 28, 2010
35,691
4,960
113
Only show we watched on Apple + was Ted Lasso. Basically got the subscription to watch it and then canceled it right after.
I don’t really see the need to have subscriptions to Disney, Hulu, Netflix and Prime already when I basically get to watch tv from 9-10 at night when we get the kids down for bed.
Sort of like me . . . I signed up just to watch For All Mankind and then discovered Ted Lasso.

For All Mankind is top 5 sci-fi this millennium (along with The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica, Fringe, and something I'm forgetting). So if you like sci-fi and haven't seen them, there are 4 to check out.
 

What Would Jesus Do?

All-Conference
Nov 28, 2010
35,691
4,960
113
Here's an argument I've heard several times that I've never quite understood....

Me: You should check out show ABC. It's the best show I've seen in a decade. I'm confident you'll love it. It's really great.

Other guy: Nah. I have plenty of pretty good stuff to watch - more than I'll ever be able to catch up on. Why would I want to watch something really great?
 

Fac

All-Conference
Jun 5, 2001
2,008
2,198
113
I tend to prefer foreign made shows over the usual glop of American made police, fire, EMT, and hospital shows. There are some really good American made shows (a number of them are named in posts above this one), but I have found that some other countries produce interesting and entertaining shows. But in most cases, you have to be willing to either: (1) watch a version that has a dubbed English language audio (so that the actors' lips do not match the sound you are hearing, kind of like old Japanese monster movies); or (2) if you prefer that the audio be in the original language, read subtitles as you go along. I prefer the subtitles, particularly since I can back things up a few seconds if I miss something.

I have watched a fair amount of foreign language programming and I tend to favor Korean, Turkish, Spanish, and Brazilian TV series. Mainly on Netflix, because Amazon and Hulu have too many damn commercials.
I would have thought you would have said that you really liked Brokeback Mountain
 

FLaw47

All-American
Dec 23, 2010
3,883
5,481
113
I would have thought you would have said that you really liked Brokeback Mountain

Sleepy GIF
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,684
5,458
113
I tend to prefer foreign made shows over the usual glop of American made police, fire, EMT, and hospital shows. There are some really good American made shows (a number of them are named in posts above this one), but I have found that some other countries produce interesting and entertaining shows. But in most cases, you have to be willing to either: (1) watch a version that has a dubbed English language audio (so that the actors' lips do not match the sound you are hearing, kind of like old Japanese monster movies); or (2) if you prefer that the audio be in the original language, read subtitles as you go along. I prefer the subtitles, particularly since I can back things up a few seconds if I miss something.

I have watched a fair amount of foreign language programming and I tend to favor Korean, Turkish, Spanish, and Brazilian TV series. Mainly on Netflix, because Amazon and Hulu have too many damn commercials.

Ew.
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,684
5,458
113
Here's an argument I've heard several times that I've never quite understood....

Me: You should check out show ABC. It's the best show I've seen in a decade. I'm confident you'll love it. It's really great.

Other guy: Nah. I have plenty of pretty good stuff to watch - more than I'll ever be able to catch up on. Why would I want to watch something really great?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they didn't actually say "Why would I want to watch something really great?" Instead, you just don't seem able to accept that people don't want to watch what you like, and they were trying to be nice by suggesting they already have a backlog of shows they can't get through, but want to watch.
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,684
5,458
113
Wait. Weren't you just posting "Ew" with respect to my expressed preference in TV shows?

Yes, and now you seem to be insufferably suffering the same fate.

I would hope you'd be able to distinguish between "I can't understand why people don't want to take my advice about what's awesome" and "I don't like what you like." But maybe I expect too much? Perhaps I should write it in a foreign language and then provide English subtitles? Beurk. Uwa. 우웩. Öğğ. ¡Puaj! Eca! Bäh
 
Last edited:

Gibbs6

Freshman
Sep 25, 2026
105
60
7
Here's an argument I've heard several times that I've never quite understood....

Me: You should check out show ABC. It's the best show I've seen in a decade. I'm confident you'll love it. It's really great.

Other guy: Nah. I have plenty of pretty good stuff to watch - more than I'll ever be able to catch up on. Why would I want to watch something really great?
Are you saying I’m that person? I simply said I don’t have the streaming services that some people have mentioned. I don’t care to pay for another streaming service on top of what I already subscribe to. I will admit a few suggested shows look good but at the is point I’m not going to pay for it when I’m sure good shows are available on Netflix, Hulu and Disney which I already pay for.
 

Gibbs6

Freshman
Sep 25, 2026
105
60
7
The Vikings, John Adams, Peaky Blinders
I watch the Vikings every Sunday they are on local television. Is the Vikings supposed to be somewhat similar to the game of thrones? Already watched peaky blinders and don’t have hbo max to watch John Adams.
 

Dadar

All-Conference
Dec 21, 2003
5,042
3,826
113
I watch the Vikings every Sunday they are on local television. Is the Vikings supposed to be somewhat similar to the game of thrones? Already watched peaky blinders and don’t have hbo max to watch John Adams.
It originally ran on the History Channel I believe.

All six seasons of the original Vikings series and its sequel Vikings: Valhalla are currently streaming on Netflix.

The original Vikings (2013–2020), created by Michael Hirst and starring Travis Fimmel, arrived on Netflix in the United States on March 30, 2024, and in the UK and Ireland in January 2025. The Netflix original sequel series, Vikings: Valhalla (2022–2024), created by Jeb Stuart, ran for three seasons with its final season premiering on July 11, 2024. Additionally, the 1958 film The Vikings and the Norwegian comedy series Norsemen are also available on the platform.
 

LafayetteBear

Heisman
Nov 30, 2009
35,115
10,595
113
Yes, and now you seem to be insufferably suffering the same fate.

I would hope you'd be able to distinguish between "I can't understand why people don't want to take my advice about what's awesome" and "I don't like what you like." But maybe I expect too much? Perhaps I should write it in a foreign language and then provide English subtitles? Beurk. Uwa. 우웩. Öğğ. ¡Puaj! Eca! Bäh
It's two sides of the same coin, Moogy.

I don't care what you watch, or whether you agree or disagree with my taste in TV programming. But in saying "Ew" with respect to my expressed preference in TV programming, you are expressing your distaste for it. There is little difference between that and criticizing someone else for not agreeing with one's own taste in TV programming.
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,684
5,458
113
It's two sides of the same coin, Moogy.

I don't care what you watch, or whether you agree or disagree with my taste in TV programming. But in saying "Ew" with respect to my expressed preference in TV programming, you are expressing your distaste for it. There is little difference between that and criticizing someone else for not agreeing with one's own taste in TV programming.

Ew.

No, sparky ... there's little difference between that Jesus guy not understanding that some folks don't want to take his recommendations, and YOU crying and taking offense at me not liking what you like. Those are, essentially, the same things. Bad, weird things. But agreeing or disagreeing with someone's taste - that's normal. That's a whole different coin.

"Do you like stuff?"
"Well, I like THAT stuff."
"I don't like THAT stuff, I like THIS stuff."
"Well, I like THIS stuff."
"Now we've all shared what stuff we like and don't like. Let's go live normal lives."

The above is normal.

"I don't understand how someone couldn't like the same stuff I like, and shunned my recommendation about what is great. As if. I said it was great, so it's great for everyone, and he still doesn't want to watch it?!"
"How dare you not like what I like and 'ew' it?! Why, I'm going to give you a talking to. Why, it is NOT OK to disagree with me and look down on my opinions, even after I started my opinion by crapping all over other options and other's opinions. Is that clear?"

Those are not normal. They're ew.
 
Last edited:

What Would Jesus Do?

All-Conference
Nov 28, 2010
35,691
4,960
113
Are you saying I’m that person? I simply said I don’t have the streaming services that some people have mentioned. I don’t care to pay for another streaming service on top of what I already subscribe to. I will admit a few suggested shows look good but at the is point I’m not going to pay for it when I’m sure good shows are available on Netflix, Hulu and Disney which I already pay for.
Not saying you're that person. But I have 1 friend who absolutely is that person and a couple more who are sometimes that person.

To be fair, we are all probably that person once in a while. And cost can definitely factor into that. But it's a bad argument when you are denying yourself A quality because you already have lots of C quality.

My buddy, for example, pays top dollar for his cable package because it's the only way he can get certain sports events that he loves. I get that. And he has the money. But he won't pay extra to get AppleTV to watch shows like Ted Lasso or For All Mankind, because he has recorded other stuff that he isn't getting around to watching.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gibbs6

LafayetteBear

Heisman
Nov 30, 2009
35,115
10,595
113
Ew.

No, sparky ... there's little difference between that Jesus guy not understanding that some folks don't want to take his recommendations, and YOU crying and taking offense at me not liking what you like. Those are, essentially, the same things. Bad, weird things. But agreeing or disagreeing with someone's taste - that's normal. That's a whole different coin.

"Do you like stuff?"
"Well, I like THAT stuff."
"I don't like THAT stuff, I like THIS stuff."
"Well, I like THIS stuff."
"Now we've all shared what stuff we like and don't like. Let's go live normal lives."

The above is normal.

"I don't understand how someone couldn't like the same stuff I like, and shunned my recommendation about what is great. As if. I said it was great, so it's great for everyone, and he still doesn't want to watch it?!"
"How dare you not like what I like and 'ew' it?! Why, I'm going to give you a talking to. Why, it is NOT OK to disagree with me and look down on my opinions, even after I started my opinion by crapping all over other options and other's opinions. Is that clear?"

Those are not normal. They're ew.
What a target rich environment. Where do I start?

1. I specifically noted that I have no issue with your not sharing my taste in TV programming. Tastes in entertainment is about as subjective as it gets. I certainly have not "cried" or "taken offense" about it. Similarly, I don't care if your taste in food, clothing, or a host of other things diverges from mine.

2. I did not "start my opinion by crapping all over other options and other's opinions." I simply expressed my own preference. If anyone did that, it was you.

3. If Poster A criticizes Poster B for not sharing Poster A's taste in TV programming, Poster A is effectively criticizing Poster B's own taste in TV programming. If Poster A says "Ew" (actually, it should be "Eww") with respect to Poster B's taste in TV programming, he is likewise criticizing Poster B's taste in TV programming.

Capisce? This should not be difficult to understand.
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,684
5,458
113
Not saying you're that person. But I have 1 friend who absolutely is that person and a couple more who are sometimes that person.

To be fair, we are all probably that person once in a while. And cost can definitely factor into that. But it's a bad argument when you are denying yourself A quality because you already have lots of C quality.

My buddy, for example, pays top dollar for his cable package because it's the only way he can get certain sports events that he loves. I get that. And he has the money. But he won't pay extra to get AppleTV to watch shows like Ted Lasso or For All Mankind, because he has recorded other stuff that he isn't getting around to watching.

He's not denying himself anything. He doesn't need the extra entertainment. He doesn't know if the show is crap, bad, OK, good, or great .. and it's not worth the hassle of paying yet another subscription just to find out when he already has plenty of shows he knows he likes, that he still hasn't gotten to.

For the record, For All Mankind ... watched an episode and was so bored with it, I never went back to give it another try ... because I had shows I already knew I liked, that I hadn't gotten back to watching ... and then new shows, which I gave a shot, and they hooked me from the beginning, got logged into the queue as well.

It's OK for people to like different things than you, and prioritize other things. You're not the center of the universe.
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,684
5,458
113
What a target rich environment. Where do I start?

1. I specifically noted that I have no issue with your not sharing my taste in TV programming. Tastes in entertainment is

Have you been watching The Wire? Tastes ... is. Werd, my brotha.


about as subjective as it gets. I certainly have not "cried" or "taken offense" about it. Similarly, I don't care if your taste in food, clothing, or a host of other things diverges from mine.

Except your commentary says otherwise.

2. I did not "start my opinion by crapping all over other options and other's opinions." I simply expressed my own preference. If anyone did that, it was you.

I posted "ew." That's it. That's indicating I didn't like what you suggested. Pretty simple and straightforward. If you want, you can characterize my response as crapping all over your suggestion, very succinctly. You started your post with "I tend to prefer foreign made shows over the usual glop of American made police, fire, EMT, and hospital shows." That's pretty obviously starting your opinion by crapping all over other options and other's opinions, as those are obviously highly rated (and, therefore, highly liked) shows. Calling them "glop" is just like saying "ew." These things are similar. You, however, tried to equate expressing not liking something (my statement ... and yours, as I've shown) with the other guy who was aghast that someone didn't take his opinion to heart and immediately run out and spend money to watch a show he recommended. That statement, by the guy, expresses a level of self-centered narcissism that goes beyond simply saying a variant of "I don't like that." That's different.

3. If Poster A criticizes Poster B for not sharing Poster A's taste in TV programming, Poster A is effectively criticizing Poster B's own taste in TV programming. If Poster A says "Ew" (actually, it should be "Eww") with respect to Poster B's taste in TV programming, he is likewise criticizing Poster B's taste in TV programming.

Capisce? This should not be difficult to understand.

You're finally correct ... it should not be difficult to understand ... I don't know why you're having such a problem.

Poster A did NOT criticize Poster B for not sharing Poster A's taste in TV programming. Poster A criticized Poster B's entire attitude in his post. It was very "ew." You could have just said some variation of "I like foreign made TV shows" and listed some out. Instead, you had to poop on genres which others, I'm sure, like (I'm generally not a fan of those genres, either, but that's neither here nor there), and then you went the extra step of droning on about the different ways to watch a foreign film/show (as if everyone didn't already know them), choosing to highlight that the one way you choose NOT to watch, is like watching an old Godzilla movie (again, pooping on it).

The entire post was "ew." It was trying too hard.

And, no, it should not be "eww" ... "ew" is far more appropriate and what was intended. A short and to the point renunciation of you and your expressed attitude. "Eww" would be if you actually took a literal crap on the board and we had to look at it and smell it. Ewwww. Add or subtract as many letters as wanted, for desired effect. "Ew," on the other hand, is a short, dismissive show of disgust. Learn words, IlliterateEwBear. Maybe stick to Engrish until you've mastered that, and then branch out to other offerings. Ya feel me, dawg?
 
Last edited:
Tiger Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 Tiger Illustrated Football Clemson outclassed by No. 4 Miami in 41-13 loss
  2. 02 Tiger Illustrated Football Clemson runs into too much firepower from No. 4 Miami in 41-13 loss
  3. 03 Tiger Illustrated Football Clemson - Miami Postgame Notes
  4. 04 Tiger Illustrated Football Read our subscribers' comments during and after Clemson's loss to Miami
  5. 05 Tiger Illustrated Football Clemson Football Game Day Nuggets