On paper State and Ole Miss have incredibly similar rosters. Stacked on the mound, lots of talent in the field, but some key hitters that have to be replaced.
I do think some of the hype about their team last year was overblown. They were very good, but their fans are convinced that COVID cost them a national title just because they won a series against Louisville and then beat a bunch of lower conference teams. I have no reason to believe they are any different now than they've ever been under Bianco (with the exception of one team that got to Omaha): good, but will struggle when it really counts.
Hard to argue with this, truly. As an Ole Miss fan my only push back would be that we played I believe the 1st or 2nd toughest schedule in the country, including East Carolina, Indiana, and Southern Miss. On top of the 3 games against Louisville that’s about as much as you can ask for in 17 games.
However, the realist in me would acknowledge that you’re very much right that many Ole Miss fans have completely overplayed that 16-1 start, which in the grand scheme of things doesn’t mean anything at all. Not with 30 SEC games left unplayed.
I’m not overly familiar with what MSU has on their roster. Here’s what I think I know - I think I know MacLeod is special. Maybe very special. I think Cerantola has elite stuff, but don’t know if he can control it. And I know MSU recruits at an elite level and is very well coached.
I also know Ole Miss only lost two players, BUT - those two players were their best bats, and top 3-4 gloves. One of them was an all-timer (Keenan). So to assume they’re automatically replaced is fandom, not reality. My hope, as a fan, is that some other guys step up to make up for the production we will miss from their replacements.
I also know I’ve watched Ole Miss and MSU baseball for a long time and fast starts don’t mean anything. Great regular seasons often don’t mean anything. And the teams we are most excited about are often mediocre. But, we will all enjoy the **** out of the season regardless.
I’ll also close by saying that I’m thankful for Ron Polk and the MSU fan base for embracing college baseball like they did. Because without that, Ole Miss would have never invested in it like they have. And that means me and my Dad would have missed out on a LOT of fun memories (and also a lot of major letdowns).