Jason Isbell announced a show in brandon

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,355
113
October 8th is the day of the show. The amphitheater is lining up quite a few shows this year. Good to see.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,562
8,528
102
On my list. I've not seen him perform live in four years. It's long past time.
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,328
10,611
113
October 8th is the day of the show. The amphitheater is lining up quite a few shows this year. Good to see.


That's awesome and should be fantastic weather. I'm heading to one of his shows scheduled for August and really looking forward to it.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,982
2,760
113
That should be a good show. Is the amphitheater popular there? I've been to a couple of outdoor concerts on Redstone Arsenal and they were a lot better than I thought they'd be, but they don't really have an amphitheater - just a stage and a large open area. You have to bring your own chair, or sit on the ground.

I mentioned a while back that one was proposed for here, and it was approved and is now under construction. Supposed to open next spring - looks like fun. https://www.huntsvilleamphitheater.com
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,683
24,529
113
I love Isbell's music, but I'm not a huge fan of his live shows. Maybe at the outdoor amphitheater, it'll be better.

But, the crowds at his show can be an odd mix of younger and older people. They are people in his audience there because they love DBT and Allman Bros, and there are people there because they love James Taylor and CSNY. They tend to want different things out of a show. So, it can turn into alot of "Sit down!".
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,562
8,528
102
His shows were great a few years ago when they were at smaller indoor venues like Duling Hall or even Thalia Mara or outdoors at Live at Livingston and Jimmie Rodgers Music Festival.

The last time I saw him was at Thalia Mara and the audience dynamic changed some because more people were being seated.
 

J-Dawg

Junior
Mar 4, 2009
2,232
325
83
I love Isbell's music, but I'm not a huge fan of his live shows. Maybe at the outdoor amphitheater, it'll be better.

But, the crowds at his show can be an odd mix of younger and older people. They are people in his audience there because they love DBT and Allman Bros, and there are people there because they love James Taylor and CSNY. They tend to want different things out of a show. So, it can turn into alot of "Sit down!".

This is true. I saw him at Thalia Mara in 2017 right after Nashville Sound came out. Indoor venue, sure, but half the crowd stood up as if it were a rocknroll show, half sat town as if we were at a James Taylor show. It's a weird dynamic. With that said, I was not a huge fan of "Reunions" (nor Nashville Sound, for that matter). Count me in the DBT/early solo Isbell crowd.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,355
113
That should be a good show. Is the amphitheater popular there? I've been to a couple of outdoor concerts on Redstone Arsenal and they were a lot better than I thought they'd be, but they don't really have an amphitheater - just a stage and a large open area. You have to bring your own chair, or sit on the ground.

I mentioned a while back that one was proposed for here, and it was approved and is now under construction. Supposed to open next spring - looks like fun. https://www.huntsvilleamphitheater.com

I think pre-covid the amphitheater was doing really well. I heard better than expected. Based on the list of announcements they have lined up I think it will do well again this year.

I have 2 young kids so I’ve only been able to make one concert there (zac brown band) but it was really good. They did a great job on the venue. It’s a real nice addition to the metro area. I definitely plan to get tickets to the Isbell show. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen him live.
 

Lettucexxxx

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2012
4,562
1,047
113
CSB Humble brag: Met Jason and Ryan Adams when they were playing together a few years back In Louisville Kentucky. Was in an old arcade bar on the strip. In walks Ryan Adams and some tall *** country dude. Ryan was unmistakable...black leather Iron Madden jacket with a rose on it. Ordered a cherry coke....he was sober then going through his Mandy Moore Saga.....he goes to the restroom and I tapped the big country dude on the shoulder and asked

“so how did you land the bouncer job for my rock idol?”
he said “naw buddy, I’m Jason Isbell, opening for Ryan tomorrow”

17, I was embarrassed but laughed. Told him I was from small town MS and had seen him and Drive By Truckers often in college....

then we all started chatting...I have a picture of me and Ryan posing next to a TRON arcade game..... best part tho....

next night, during his show, he announced to the crowd in between songs that one of Ryan’s fans mistook him as a “former mma fighter” Sold out crowd got a laugh at my expense SMH

Good memories
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
I love Isbell's music, but I'm not a huge fan of his live shows. Maybe at the outdoor amphitheater, it'll be better.

But, the crowds at his show can be an odd mix of younger and older people. They are people in his audience there because they love DBT and Allman Bros, and there are people there because they love James Taylor and CSNY. They tend to want different things out of a show. So, it can turn into alot of "Sit down!".

Thats interesting. I’ve been to 5 of his shows and never experienced that, but at the same time I can totally see it. It’s pretty crazy how people can go to the same event and have totally different experiences based on the ********, or lack thereof, around them. You see it in football games all the time. Particularly for road team fans.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
CSB Humble brag: Met Jason and Ryan Adams when they were playing together a few years back In Louisville Kentucky. Was in an old arcade bar on the strip. In walks Ryan Adams and some tall *** country dude. Ryan was unmistakable...black leather Iron Madden jacket with a rose on it. Ordered a cherry coke....he was sober then going through his Mandy Moore Saga.....he goes to the restroom and I tapped the big country dude on the shoulder and asked

“so how did you land the bouncer job for my rock idol?”
he said “naw buddy, I’m Jason Isbell, opening for Ryan tomorrow”

17, I was embarrassed but laughed. Told him I was from small town MS and had seen him and Drive By Truckers often in college....

then we all started chatting...I have a picture of me and Ryan posing next to a TRON arcade game..... best part tho....

next night, during his show, he announced to the crowd in between songs that one of Ryan’s fans mistook him as a “former mma fighter” Sold out crowd got a laugh at my expense SMH

Good memories

That’s awesome! I met Jason in Tupelo. Ironically I was checking in to a hotel before one of his concerts and he was in the lobby beside me. I decided I wouldn’t bother him and be a fan boy, but just said hello. We wound up chatting for a few minutes, and he couldn’t have been kinder. I told him how big of a fan I was and you could tell he genuinely appreciated it, and was a little uncomfortable with it, which I respect.

Funny story though.. a black Porsche SUV had kinda cut me off in parking lot and I’d mumbled “dumb b$!ch” to myself, because of it, after she almost hit me. Jason and I wound up walking out together (him for sound check, me to get my TJ Maxx luggage) and that Porsche was sitting there waiting on him.. it was Amanda Shires, haha
 
Last edited:

Lettucexxxx

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2012
4,562
1,047
113
Ryan is short guy, but Jason is only a hair over 6 feet.. Must have been the boots. lol

You right, it wasn’t Jason. Shorter dude that looked just like him**

edit to add ...yes ....he had some sure fire, jet black, pointy toed, **** kickers on
 
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2006
1,924
555
113
"arcade bar on the strip"? Bardstown Road? Not placing what place this would be, as I live 3 blocks from said strip.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window
  5. 05 Maroon and White Fluff Bothwell finds a way in impact performance for Mississippi State