Jags #1 pick

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
I don't know how you can justify taking Lawrence over Fields after tonight. Justin Fields put on one of the most historic performances in a playoff ever and he did it all with seriously legit bruised ribs. He so outshined TL I actually believe it now flips their draft rankings. Jets could still end up with Trevor Lawrence at #2 after the entire football world has been calling them stupid for winning a game and losing him at #1. Football is wild.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Good point. Prisoner of the moment certainly applies. I still think the Jags have a much tougher decision than everyone thought 3 weeks ago.
 

Bulldog from Birth

All-Conference
Jan 23, 2007
2,555
1,164
113
Trevor Lawrence is the best pro QB prospect since Andrew Luck. He is a generational once per decade type of talent. No GM would draft Fields over Lawrence. Just like no GM will draft Mac Jones over Justin Fields if Bama beats Ohio State by 6 touchdowns and Fields throws 5 picks.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,891
17,169
113
I think fields is a terrible pick. If he didn’t have an Ohio state uniform on, you would have never heard of him.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,523
27,495
113
Trevor Lawrence is the best pro QB prospect since Andrew Luck. He is a generational once per decade type of talent. No GM would draft Fields over Lawrence. Just like no GM will draft Mac Jones over Justin Fields if Bama beats Ohio State by 6 touchdowns and Fields throws 5 picks.

I think the jury's out on Lawrence still. He didn't handle pressure very well tonight and panicked with a lot of his reads.

That said, he's a much better pro prospect than Fields. Fields will be dewayne Haskins 2.0.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
His OL was getting him killed. He barely had time to throw all night. That OL got completely whipped.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
I thought Lawrence was head and shoulders better than Fields before tonight. Then Fields comes out looking like Dak Prescott out there. Depending on what Fields (and maybe Mac Jones???) looks like in the championship, if Jax really doesn’t have a preference of Fields or Lawrence they could always move back a spot if the Jets were afraid the Jags were going to get their guy the Jags could probably get 2nd round pick just for moving back a spot. If they had a great espionage team they could find out that the Jets actually like Fields they could float interest then trade back getting TL whom they wanted all along and a second or they could just draft Fields and turn around and tell the jets draft TL abc give us your 2nd.
 

Msubulldogfan1

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
8,835
80
48
I think minshew is a good NFL QB. I would think long and hard about seeing what someone would offer for the #1 pick.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
I think minshew is a good NFL QB. I would think long and hard about seeing what someone would offer for the #1 pick.

I root for Gardner to have a successful career but there’s no way in heck you pass up on Lawrence just to give Gardner more time. They are 1-14 and have started 3-4 different QBs this year, and they haven’t had a good QB in forever.
 

Msubulldogfan1

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
8,835
80
48
I root for Gardner to have a successful career but there’s no way in heck you pass up on Lawrence just to give Gardner more time. They are 1-14 and have started 3-4 different QBs this year, and they haven’t had a good QB in forever.

I somewhat agree. My only point is you can win games with Gardner, and if a team is willing to give three #1 picks or something crazy, I think that deserves consideration.

You can win super bowls with average QBs.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
Trevor Lawrence is the best pro QB prospect since Andrew Luck. He is a generational once per decade type of talent. No GM would draft Fields over Lawrence. Just like no GM will draft Mac Jones over Justin Fields if Bama beats Ohio State by 6 touchdowns and Fields throws 5 picks.

Bingo
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
Trevor Lawrence is the best pro QB prospect since Andrew Luck. He is a generational once per decade type of talent. No GM would draft Fields over Lawrence. Just like no GM will draft Mac Jones over Justin Fields if Bama beats Ohio State by 6 touchdowns and Fields throws 5 picks.

Bingo.

Although I will say I’ve seen NFL GM’s do some really dumb things by outthinking the room. But the Jags know that Lawrence will increase the worth of their franchise by $300M overnight. He’s an easy pick. I’d say as easy a pick since Andrew Luck, but it’s actually easier because the Colts had the Peyton situation to deal with.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,320
6,711
113
I think the jury's out on Lawrence still. He didn't handle pressure very well tonight and panicked with a lot of his reads.

That said, he's a much better pro prospect than Fields. Fields will be dewayne Haskins 2.0.
Fields will be as good as all of the other OSU/Urban QBs not named Alex Smith
 

Msubulldogfan1

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
8,835
80
48
Bingo.

Although I will say I’ve seen NFL GM’s do some really dumb things by outthinking the room. But the Jags know that Lawrence will increase the worth of their franchise by $300M overnight. He’s an easy pick. I’d say as easy a pick since Andrew Luck, but it’s actually easier because the Colts had the Peyton situation to deal with.

Imo, Luck > Lawrence. And I wouldn’t think long about it at all.
 

Upyurs

Redshirt
Nov 24, 2017
453
0
0
I don't know how you can justify taking Lawrence over Fields after tonight. Justin Fields put on one of the most historic performances in a playoff ever and he did it all with seriously legit bruised ribs. He so outshined TL I actually believe it now flips their draft rankings. Jets could still end up with Trevor Lawrence at #2 after the entire football world has been calling them stupid for winning a game and losing him at #1. Football is wild.

Haskins put on some impressive performances himself and look how he turned out. Heck where are all those “special” OSU quarterbacks?
 

boatsandhoes

Junior
Sep 6, 2012
2,151
208
63
It looked like to me TL was pressured all game long, and fields had time. Credit to OSU for getting in his face. Tough to make good decisions with dudes hanging all over you all night long.

They’d both be great picks, and I can’t see how you could go wrong with either.
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,095
7,322
113
Everyone knew who he was when he had a Georgia uni on
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dawg1976

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2012
8,388
2,915
113
Not many qb's would have looked good with the kind of pressure he got.
 

Msubulldogfan1

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
8,835
80
48
I don’t disagree, but that’s not the discussion. I’m just saying Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Luck. If Luck was in this class, then sure I’d take him #1.

I know it wasn’t the discussion, I was just adding a talking point. That ok, fellow bulldog?
 

Irondawg

Senior
Dec 2, 2007
2,975
631
113
When you think about fields last night replace that with KJ vs LSU.

Most good quarterbacks have great games. What I look for is do they make throws in tight windows when they have to and do they make good reads.

Lawrence threw a couple of darts last night but did struggle with the pressure a bit. Given that the ACC isn’t that strong there is a legit question on how he will perform with less time.

Fields looked a little better than I thought he would but that game looked a lot like our game vs Georgia where Daniels completed every deep ball and looked all world.

Bonus points for playing through what I would guess is some broken ribs.

It’s going to be interesting to see NFL scout takes on these guys in the coming months
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,702
24,567
113
Could be wrong, but pretty sure a UGA baseball player went used a bunch of racial slurs directed at him. So, Fields left.

He was one of the biggest recruits in the country. Honestly, he’s probably been on NFL scouts radar for three or four years now.
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,095
7,322
113
He left bc Fromm won the qb job somehow. That slur was his reason for immediate eligibility
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor