*****Iowa vs Michigan Game Thread*****

Aug 14, 2025
361
515
93
First series, first down we passed. On the next 7 first downs, we ran the ball. At the end of the first in two min situation, we passed on first down, which is an obvious situation. In the second half, we didnt pass on first down until the 4th quarter.
And? Or are you saying it needs to be scheduled and predictable?
 

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,163
7,288
113
Quote of the day:

“One thing about these guys is that they don’t quit,” Hawkeyes head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a postgame interview. “It wasn’t perfect, but they don’t give up.”

Do the whiners/quitters on this board ever self reflect and think 'maybe I shouldn't post that I gave up on the team'?
I'd add that many here don't understand that's its Kirks even demeanor that keeps this team grounded and they don't get down on themselves, and play to the end. And yet you get the "stupid Kirk" and "coward" posts. Its called LEADERSHIP folks.
 

trfhawk

Junior
Jul 10, 2020
223
393
63
Iowa found a wi
How'd you like the last throw of the gam
Iowa found a winner in Hank Brown. He did not flinch in the clutch, Does he still have two years of eligibility after this season.? It is nice to know that we may have some continuity at the position for a while.
Great win. Still a BAD decision. to try a FG on the 4th and six play. (akin to his clock management in Orlando on the Holloway play) The defense and very conservative play calling by Michigan bailed him out, as well as some great throws by Hank. All in all, a great night for the hawks and in the end, I am thankful that Coach Ferentz has been so loyal to Iowa and has stuck around through thick and thin.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: hawkeyebob1962

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,163
7,288
113
Takes a real brave person to post like a sheeple 100% of the time.
Coward.
What does that even mean? I can be critical of Kirk. You can say he's stubborn, predictable, set in his ways, whatever. But a coward? I'd say it took some balls to try to put it back on the defense and try to get the ball back and still score in the last minute and a 1/2. So basically if you don't fall in line with the complain, complain, complain, I hate the coach and I wish he was gone group. (and then some of these same "FANS" supposedly, after the game are "Oh we won" hey, what a job". Its fricken comical. So if your not someone who's going to spend 2-3Q of every game cursing the coaches and players, your a sheep? Great, I'm a sheep.........
 

ottumwan in tx

All-Conference
Jun 10, 2025
1,659
1,309
113
look, I think we all can agree that against OSU, the hawks need to figure out some aggressive offense in the first three qtrs and the 4th qtr. they got lucky against michigan. great win. need to improve on offense now.
 

ottumwan in tx

All-Conference
Jun 10, 2025
1,659
1,309
113
What does that even mean? I can be critical of Kirk. You can say he's stubborn, predictable, set in his ways, whatever. But a coward? I'd say it took some balls to try to put it back on the defense and try to get the ball back and still score in the last minute and a 1/2. So basically if you don't fall in line with the complain, complain, complain, I hate the coach and I wish he was gone group. (and then some of these same "FANS" supposedly, after the game are "Oh we won" hey, what a job". Its fricken comical. So if your not someone who's going to spend 2-3Q of every game cursing the coaches and players, your a sheep? Great, I'm a sheep.........
I don't actually wish for him to be gone. I like KF. I just think it's obvious some put wayyyy too much effort into blaming KF or lester or brian ferentz, probably does not matter who is coaching the offense, KF probably runs it. he should be blamed for being wayyy conservative but this time with michigan it worked out, no problem. I just wonder if that approach would work with OSU??? probably not, unfortunately.
 

ottumwan in tx

All-Conference
Jun 10, 2025
1,659
1,309
113
By the way , I used to party with Sed Shaw's mom and aunt at the game watches here in Austin. then I would find them at bowls. they always wore number 5. I see he got in the hall of fame this year and a tear fell down my cheek like KF or something!!!!
 

trfhawk

Junior
Jul 10, 2020
223
393
63
Warren Holloway says hello!
His catch and the situation was every bit as dramatic as either of the other two you mentioned.
I didn't see any prevent D, just a great offensive play to a well covered player who was all over VZ, actually had his arm for a split second, before the perfect back shoulder throw/catch. Likely the second greatest non FG, game ending play, in my 65 years of watching the Hawks. # 1 Marv Cook, # 2 McNutt was just eclipse
 

ConvenientParking

Sophomore
Sep 4, 2023
39
134
33
oh I never claimed she doesn't look sharp. I just think she prefers girl sports to boy sports. to each their own.
I don't care which she prefers, she forced KF to get a new OC and it has objectively improved the football program and she hired the men's basketball coach who took Iowa to its first Sweet 16 since 1999 and first Elite Eight since 1987. I'd say she's delivered big time for the two major men's programs and assuming she's here long enough I'm willing to bet she'll nail the hiring process for KF's successor.
 

HawksRule73

All-Conference
Jun 26, 2025
858
2,162
93
I don't care which she prefers, she forced KF to get a new OC and it has objectively improved the football program and she hired the men's basketball coach who took Iowa to its first Sweet 16 since 1999 and first Elite Eight since 1987. I'd say she's delivered big time for the two major men's programs and assuming she's here long enough I'm willing to bet she'll nail the hiring process for KF's successor.
I’m guessing it’ll be awhile before that happens. I’m guessing KF gets an extension. He’s on record saying he wants one and Beth is on record saying she wants to give him one. His current contract goes thru the ‘29 season. I’m guessing he gets one last extension thru the ‘34 season.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,163
7,288
113
look, I think we all can agree that against OSU, the hawks need to figure out some aggressive offense in the first three qtrs and the 4th qtr. they got lucky against michigan. great win. need to improve on offense now.
I don't agree with luck. It took quite a few plays and near perfect execution on those to get to the final play. It took getting a specials score. It took being the more disciplined team. It took stopping them in the red zone several times and on 4th down. None of that comes down to luck.
 

WeBeHerkin

All-American
Aug 5, 2016
5,148
5,840
113
I don't agree with luck. It took quite a few plays and near perfect execution on those to get to the final play. It took getting a specials score. It took being the more disciplined team. It took stopping them in the red zone several times and on 4th down. None of that comes down to luck.
Yes a 90 yard drive in under 2 minutes is not luck. Nor is a 95 yard kick return TD
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kceasthawk@77

Jonesy5960

Heisman
Feb 1, 2023
6,564
13,557
113
Yes a 90 yard drive in under 2 minutes is not luck. Nor is a 95 yard kick return TD
No, but that ricochet was pretty damn lucky and that Michigan injury with 2 seconds left was a pretty lucky break too. That Michigan PF committed by Berry sure didn't hurt. Iowa took advantage of those breaks, but you've gotta admit those were 3 lucky breaks that were integral to that drive resulting in a TD.
 

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,163
7,288
113
Yes a 90 yard drive in under 2 minutes is not luck. Nor is a 95 yard kick return TD
Actually the way that game went is PERFECT. We get a huge win on the road in front of 105,000+ . The team rallies behind Hank Brown, and he makes several big plays in winning time to get the W. Great for his confidence, and the players and coaches in him. And yet we certainly had plenty to look at on film for what is a young and hungry team going forward to keep working on. I honestly don't think the overall outcome could have been any better then where we sit right now. Now will it be enough to get the W on Saturday? Like Chad said we need to make this a game, at the very least.

Thanks ahead of time to all you Hawk fans who will be in Kinnick, and will be that 12th man. Who knows, a false start or two might just make a difference, like PSU a few years ago.
 

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,163
7,288
113
No, but that ricochet was pretty damn lucky and that Michigan injury with 2 seconds left was a pretty lucky break too. That Michigan PF committed by Berry sure didn't hurt. Iowa took advantage of those breaks, but you've gotta admit those were 3 lucky breaks that were integral to that drive resulting in a TD.
True, but all you CAN do is make the plays that are in front of you, one play at a time. Tipped ball, sure, BUT DJV had the presence of mind not to give up on the play, and reastablish himself back onto the field of play. A lot of guys may not have done that with the play 10 yds back down the field. The injured player happened because three defenders crushed Brown all at the same time, yet he made the throw, as he made several really big throws in the 4thQ and scrambled to get enough time to throw several times. Then AO had to make a great play on that ball and keep it alive to himself. Certainly some good fortune, and yet in each case we still had to make a big play during that sequence in order to take advantage, and on every play we DID make that play. "Hardest the longest", "smartest the longest", most "disciplined the longest" in terms of the penalties.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 On3 Football Caitlin Clark to serve as ESPN College GameDay celebrity guest picker ahead of Iowa vs. Ohio State
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football ESPN personalities thrilled to be at Iowa
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Basketball Recruiting Iowa Women's Basketball lands four-star center Khalia Hartwell
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Recruiting Iowa Hawkeyes Football Recruiting: Weekend Preview
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Nation's No. 5 linebacker Brodie Metzger back in Iowa City, Hawkeyes among his early favorites