Iowa State vs Iowa

Fatwoodchuck

Senior
Oct 19, 2023
541
805
93
I admit ending is doing better than I thought he would but I don't think he is close to a 100% elam
 

The Pitchfork Rebel

All-Conference
Dec 31, 2021
695
1,606
93
This is where people saying duals don’t matter without a dual meet championship are just wrong
197: #2 Rock Elam (ISU) vs. #4 Massoma Endene (Iowa)

Elam with the 8-2 DEC

ISU wins the dual, 20-14, for their 1st dual victory in the Cy-Hawk series since 2004

That stall call on Elam was crap.

Nonetheless, I'm digging this.
 

Nitlion1986

All-American
Apr 13, 2024
1,968
5,789
113
Dean didn't do anything on feet in the entire match. In that moment, Ferrari had taken 2 shots within a few seconds. The ref called stalling on Dean on the 2nd one. I don't think the stall gets called if Ferrari got in on the first one and Dean defended. But it was very obvious that Dean was not going to attack. He earned that one.
You and I are going to disagree on the conclusion of "he earned on there".
 

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
85,437
69,165
113
For those posting about the ref, a reminder that in college, a number of the rules on stalling have been tweaked/modified so that a lot of situations are mandatory calls. This is not what many people grew up with, or wrestled under, in youth or high school (or coached under).

I thought the mandatory calls were correct. The subjective ones (basically, not enough action), seemed legit. The ref was active throughout the match in calling that, so I can't fault him for any of the calls he made in that regard late in the match. Dean is a great defensive wrestler (how he avoided a few of Ferrari's TD attempts was amazing). But if you don't initiate action (i.e., shoot from neutral), and your opponent repeatedly does (as did Ferrari), you're going to be hit with stalling, even if the signal is given while you're attempting a counter.
 
Last edited:

Nitlion1986

All-American
Apr 13, 2024
1,968
5,789
113
For those posting about the ref, a reminder that in college, a number of the rules on stalling have been tweaked/modified so that a lot of situations are mandatory calls. This is not what many people grew up with, or wrestled under in youth or high school (or coached under).

I thought the mandatory calls were correct. The subjective ones (basically, not enough action), seemed legit. The ref was active throughout the match in calling that, so I can't fault him for any of the calls he made in that regard late in the match. Dean is a great defensive wrestler (how he avoided a few of Ferrari's TD attempts was amazing). But if you don't initiate action (i.e., shoot from neutral), and your opponent repeatedly does (as did Ferrari), you're going to be hit with stalling, even if the signal is given while you're attempting a counter.
My problem with the Dean call was it, at least to me, was out of sync with calls earlier in the dual.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SkiSkiSki
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State-Northwestern notes: Wildcats to be without a starting offensive lineman; what does David Braun think of the Lions?
  2. 02 BWI Recruiting High School Recap: Future Penn State cornerbacks shine to close out September
  3. 03 BWI Football Leaving outcome to chance, Penn State's complementary football fails
  4. 04 BWI Football Wisconsin took away Penn State's best throw and stopped the run with one tweak: Film Review
  5. 05 BWI Football Penn State bowl projections: Where could the Lions play in the postseason after losing to Wisconsin?