Howland replacement candidates

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
We keep talking about whether or not he should go, but the flipside of that is who is qualified and available out there that would actually come to State?

I'll start with this name: Darian DeVries at Drake

He's been in the Missouri Valley his entire coaching career, so I don't know that he'd leave, but there's no way Drake can match State financially.
Drake isn't setting the world on fire with its strength of schedule, but they're 17-0.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Stans, if he would come. He'll probably tell us to 17 ourselves.

But besides that, I've always said we should go get Billups at Lanier (he may be at Tougaloo) and tell him to make this team into the Mississippi All-Star team and roll with it. I mean you have these clowns like Memphis, Georgetown and Vandy hiring ex-NBA players and such, why not try it?

**disclaimer - I don't know crap about basketball**

**second disclaimer - I was smart enough to know we shouldn't have fired Stans**

Downvote away, ol blue
 
Last edited:

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,662
19,423
113
I think it should be someone from Six Pack. There seems to be a lot of out standing know every X and O posters on here.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Nope. Whatever you think of Stans, the second time around with a former coach almost never works out.
Bill Snyder says you don't know what you're talking about. Just because Ron Polk sucked doesn't mean everyone will. He had no accountability from the AD, was distracted by the NCAA, and in general was just burned out. Even with all that, he still had SOME success, just basically quit recruiting a few years into it.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Western Kentucky has made the NCAA Tournament 23 times.... 0 under Stansbury.

MSU tournament appearances - 11
MSU tournament appearances with Stansbury on staff - 9

I’m not advocating for stans to be brought back but I don’t care what he’s done at western Kentucky. We had most of programs success when stans was either HC or on staff.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
Craig Smith (Utah State)
Wes Miller (UNC Greensboro)
Niko Medved (Colorado State)
Leon Rice (Boise State)
Bob Richey (Furman)
Ulric Maligi (Texas Tech assistant)
Luke Murray (Louisville assistant)

No idea how many of those guys would actually be interested, but that's where I would start.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,514
31,750
113
Bill Snyder is the rare exception, and even he didn't do nearly as well the 2nd time around as he did the first. Ranked in 10 of the last 13 seasons of his 1st term, with 6 of those in the top 10. Only ranked in 3 of the 10 seasons of his 2nd term with none in the top 10.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
MSU tournament appearances - 11
MSU tournament appearances with Stansbury on staff - 9

I’m not advocating for stans to be brought back but I don’t care what he’s done at western Kentucky. We had most of programs success when stans was either HC or on staff.

Yes, but we can't just pretend those last couple of years didn't happen. And he hasn't done enough at WKU to make me think it couldn't happen to us again. Stans, much like Howland, was a very good coach in his prime, but his prime was a long time ago. He only made 3 NCAA tournaments after 2004 and none of those teams were higher than an 8 seed, and the most recent one was 12 years ago, and that team was a 13 seed.

There seems to be a train of thought that if we bring back Stans we'll be transported right back to the early 2000's. No, best case scenario it's a lot like what we are getting from Howland, and worst case scenario it could torpedo the program even further.

We need an energetic young coach who brings an entertaining brand of basketball that excites the fans. Retreads aren't going to do anything to help us at this stage.
 

QuaoarsKing

All-Conference
Mar 11, 2008
6,292
3,050
113
Gregg Marshall if we make a change. Short of that, we should probably keep Howland.
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,356
10,684
113
Joel Justus at Kentucky is gonna be a great coach somewhere, might as well be here.
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,095
7,322
113
Andy Kennedy for sure. No risk of a Rick Ray situation. Good
coach. May stay. Only guy out there that fits that that may answer our call
 

goodknight

Sophomore
Jan 27, 2011
820
138
43
FYI, For all you wanting Stan’s to come back please remember he’s the guy that got us in this mess to begin with. Glad he’s doing well at WKU. If he did what a good HC would’ve done before being let go we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Program/players were totally out of control and he failed to correct.
 

QuaoarsKing

All-Conference
Mar 11, 2008
6,292
3,050
113
Gregg Marshall if we make a change. Short of that, we should probably keep Howland.

Our best chance to get a really good coach is to hire someone that bigger programs shy away from for whatever reason. Marshall is a big winner everywhere he's been.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
Andy Kennedy for sure. No risk of a Rick Ray situation. Good
coach. May stay. Only guy out there that fits that that may answer our call

I would not want to get rid of Howland for Kennedy. That said, I would not be upset about getting Kennedy. He's probably not going to be great, but he'll be solid and I'd like to see what he can do with a program that cares. Or at least use to care. Guess we're not any different than Ole Miss now that they got rid of the tad pad.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
Take your pic. Just find one that is not a P5 Head coach or at a perennial G5 powerhouse and there you have it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ank-best-young-coaches-men-college-basketball

man, I really like the idea of Bob Richey. Call me crazy, but something tells me that being a head coach at Furman would be great preparation for being a head coach at MSU.

ETA: Or maybe Richie RIley??? I mean, he used to be an assistant at Clemson and the ACC is a serious basketball conference.
 
Last edited:

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,356
10,684
113
Our best chance to get a really good coach is to hire someone that bigger programs shy away from for whatever reason. Marshall is a big winner everywhere he's been.


He also punched a player the same day that player told Marshall his mother had cancer.
 

Lawdawg.sixpack

All-Conference
Jul 22, 2012
5,352
1,215
113
R.R., an assistant from Clemson? Hard pass...

Or maybe Richie RIley I mean, he used to be an assistant at Clemson and the ACC is a serious basketball conference.
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,356
10,684
113
We've all been ****** at some point

Fair enough but it's not like that was his one bad moment. Like, do you have any idea how awful person has to be to get fired at Wichita St after leading them to 7 NCAA appearances including a Sweet 16 and a Final 4 run?
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Yes, but we can't just pretend those last couple of years didn't happen. And he hasn't done enough at WKU to make me think it couldn't happen to us again. Stans, much like Howland, was a very good coach in his prime, but his prime was a long time ago. He only made 3 NCAA tournaments after 2004 and none of those teams were higher than an 8 seed, and the most recent one was 12 years ago, and that team was a 13 seed.

There seems to be a train of thought that if we bring back Stans we'll be transported right back to the early 2000's. No, best case scenario it's a lot like what we are getting from Howland, and worst case scenario it could torpedo the program even further.

We need an energetic young coach who brings an entertaining brand of basketball that excites the fans. Retreads aren't going to do anything to help us at this stage.

Yeah, I agree with you. I wouldn’t want to bring him back. And it was time to move on from him when we did. He had a great run but it’s time everyone move on.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Gene Hackman punched a player and then won the Indiana state high school championship.
 

Lettucexxxx

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2012
4,562
1,047
113
Stans, if he would come. He'll probably tell us to 17 ourselves.

But besides that, I've always said we should go get Billups at Lanier (he may be at Tougaloo) and tell him to make this team into the Mississippi All-Star team and roll with it. I mean you have these clowns like Memphis, Georgetown and Vandy hiring ex-NBA players and such, why not try it?

**disclaimer - I don't know crap about basketball**

**second disclaimer - I was smart enough to know we shouldn't have fired Stans**

Downvote away, ol blue
 

T-TownDawgg

All-Conference
Nov 4, 2015
4,817
4,974
113
In case some of you forgot, Andy Kennedy's last game as coach in Mississippi was for a team that quit on him. I gained a lot of respect for him when he, in his last Ole Miss post game interview, called out the amount of punk-*** quit and just DGAF in college basketball anymore. That said-

AK is a damn good coach. I'd be happy to have him. But I dont think much would change. What does that tell you?

The lurking problem that has plagued every good coach not at Duke is this: spoiled apathy. The sheer number of post-high school avenues available to these kids has created a monster where no matter what a youngster decides to do, he's nagged by the what-ifs. Q may be the last starting player with NBA talent that actually stays to play 4 years, and his stats reflect that.

I can name a lot of good coaches. We saw Howland as a homerun. I thought Mike Anderson would and should have killed it at Ark. Calipari should be a perennial final four coach, especially at KY. And yet we see coaches we know are good struggle with completely ****** basketball. A lot.

Howland hasn't shown me jack ****. That said, to say a certain coach can go to xyz and win while saddled with the current work ethic and fragile ego of most college basketball athletes with talent these days is naive at best. These young men benefitting from a scholarship to play Division I basketball who use it simply as a one-year exhibition to coast into a paid league deserve a lot more culpability than they'll ever recieve.
 

bruiser.sixpack

Redshirt
Aug 13, 2009
7,346
0
0
In case some of you forgot, Andy Kennedy's last game as coach in Mississippi was for a team that quit on him. I gained a lot of respect for him when he, in his last Ole Miss post game interview, called out the amount of punk-*** quit and just DGAF in college basketball anymore. That said-

AK is a damn good coach. I'd be happy to have him. But I dont think much would change. What does that tell you?

The lurking problem that has plagued every good coach not at Duke is this: spoiled apathy. The sheer number of post-high school avenues available to these kids has created a monster where no matter what a youngster decides to do, he's nagged by the what-ifs. Q may be the last starting player with NBA talent that actually stays to play 4 years, and his stats reflect that.

I can name a lot of good coaches. We saw Howland as a homerun. I thought Mike Anderson would and should have killed it at Ark. Calipari should be a perennial final four coach, especially at KY. And yet we see coaches we know are good struggle with completely ****** basketball. A lot.

Howland hasn't shown me jack ****. That said, to say a certain coach can go to xyz and win while saddled with the current work ethic and fragile ego of most college basketball athletes with talent these days is naive at best. These young men benefitting from a scholarship to play Division I basketball who use it simply as a one-year exhibition to coast into a paid league deserve a lot more culpability than they'll ever recieve.

☝🏻I hated the NBA taking High School players, but now I hate the one or two years and done. I think that move has hurt College basketball the most.

Just go back to taking the best right out of high school and make a scholarship in all college sports a contract for 4 years. Give them a reasonable stipend along with the full ride, and if they leave before the 4 years then they have to pay only the Stipend back. Make sure the lawyers on both sides check the legality of the contract like any other contract, crossing all the I’s and dotting all the T’s.
 

MedDawg

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
5,548
1,107
113
MSU tournament appearances - 11
MSU tournament appearances with Stansbury on staff - 9

I’m not advocating for stans to be brought back but I don’t care what he’s done at western Kentucky. We had most of programs success when stans was either HC or on staff.

In Stansbury's last 7 years he earned just one NCAA tournament bid by regular season record. He also got an auto bid with an SEC tourney win (where we would not have otherwise made it to the NCAAs.) I backed Stans until his collapse at the end of his last season and after I saw the 7 year thing. I was able to look past the fight in Hawaii but Stans had not been winning enough for years and it was time for him to go.

As I've stated before, there have been a LOT of "can't miss" coaches hired in the SEC that have missed. Actually, pretty much all of them except for a few. Several much richer SEC schools have been unable to find consistently long-term winning basketball coaches.

I lost a lot of interest in MSU men's bb after Rick Ray failed and was optimistic when we hired Howland, but never regained the enthusiasm I had in the mid-2000s. I did enjoy the NIT run but ended up disappointed.

At this point I wouldn't mind if we did fire Howland. Someone new, someone different. If we're not making the NCAAs now and the new coach is not as good we're not really losing anything going from 22 wins to 18 wins. There's a possibility our hire would be the one SEC hire that hits and we start making more NCAAs.
 
Last edited:

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
For those mentioning Kennedy, y’all do realize he is almost identical to what Howland is now. I’m not sure there has ever been a coach in SEC history that won as many games as Kennedy without accomplishing much of anything. He made it to two NCAA tournaments in 12 years in spite of consistently having good teams, and of those two NCAAT trips, one was by virtue of winning the SEC Tourney, and the other was them sneaking into one of the play-in games in Dayton. His teams underachieved A LOT.

His best team ever came to Starkville and lost to a Rick Ray team that went 10-23. We were on a 13 game losing streak at the time with most losses being by 20+, and he came to The Hump with Marshall Henderson and Murphy Holloway and freaking lost to our worst team of the last 40 years.

No thank you.
 

Bagman.sixpack

Redshirt
Jan 13, 2021
111
31
28
In case some of you forgot, Andy Kennedy's last game as coach in Mississippi was for a team that quit on him. I gained a lot of respect for him when he, in his last Ole Miss post game interview, called out the amount of punk-*** quit and just DGAF in college basketball anymore. That said-

AK is a damn good coach. I'd be happy to have him. But I dont think much would change. What does that tell you?

The lurking problem that has plagued every good coach not at Duke is this: spoiled apathy. The sheer number of post-high school avenues available to these kids has created a monster where no matter what a youngster decides to do, he's nagged by the what-ifs. Q may be the last starting player with NBA talent that actually stays to play 4 years, and his stats reflect that.

I can name a lot of good coaches. We saw Howland as a homerun. I thought Mike Anderson would and should have killed it at Ark. Calipari should be a perennial final four coach, especially at KY. And yet we see coaches we know are good struggle with completely ****** basketball. A lot.

Howland hasn't shown me jack ****. That said, to say a certain coach can go to xyz and win while saddled with the current work ethic and fragile ego of most college basketball athletes with talent these days is naive at best. These young men benefitting from a scholarship to play Division I basketball who use it simply as a one-year exhibition to coast into a paid league deserve a lot more culpability than they'll ever recieve.

Says it all. The one and done has ruined college hoops for now.

I’d take Kennedy. We will struggle to get a coach better than Holland or Kennedy, especially if we aren’t willing to try a Marshall.
 

hailstate19

Redshirt
Nov 7, 2015
1,190
41
48
Andy Kennedy really? We want an Ole Miss reject as our coach? I guess he’s an Okay coach. He was hired in what 2006? His team didn’t get to the tournament until 2013, and that’s because they had one of the most electric players in the country. Not too sure this would be a good hire.

I rather hire Stans back
 

ckDOG

All-American
Dec 11, 2007
10,414
6,808
113
I don't have any names

We keep talking about whether or not he should go, but the flipside of that is who is qualified and available out there that would actually come to State?

I'll start with this name: Darian DeVries at Drake

He's been in the Missouri Valley his entire coaching career, so I don't know that he'd leave, but there's no way Drake can match State financially.
Drake isn't setting the world on fire with its strength of schedule, but they're 17-0.

But it feels like you have to sell out to one of two options: 1) some kind of clock eating offense based on well executed set plays and a roster of excellent jump shooters and passers or 2) a roster deep with athletes that runs the floor nonstop and scores by volume opportunists and high percentage shots.

Sell out one way or the other. Don't blend the two. Just go one extreme or the other and be good at it and recruit solely to it. Precision or volume. Pick one and commit.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
For those mentioning Kennedy, y’all do realize he is almost identical to what Howland is now. I’m not sure there has ever been a coach in SEC history that won as many games as Kennedy without accomplishing much of anything. He made it to two NCAA tournaments in 12 years in spite of consistently having good teams, and of those two NCAAT trips, one was by virtue of winning the SEC Tourney, and the other was them sneaking into one of the play-in games in Dayton. His teams underachieved A LOT.

His best team ever came to Starkville and lost to a Rick Ray team that went 10-23. We were on a 13 game losing streak at the time with most losses being by 20+, and he came to The Hump with Marshall Henderson and Murphy Holloway and freaking lost to our worst team of the last 40 years.

No thank you.
His teams did not underachieve. He was recruiting to a leaky gym and a fan base that didn't care and didn't provide booster support. Kennedy is not a great coach, but he did a good job constantly stitching together teams at Ole Miss. I'd be interested to see how he performed at a school that gave him any support. Not sure we'd be any different at this point than what he had at Ole Miss, but I assume we still have a little more booster support.

But you are correct that he probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade from Howland as far as results.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor