How good is Walley?

M R DAWGS

All-Conference
Apr 13, 2018
2,300
2,196
113
Eric Moulds’ catch late in the game was awesome.

He’s very good.
 

Coast_Dawg

Senior
Nov 16, 2020
1,338
725
113
Walley should be the outlet on every play. He eventually got at least two steps on every defender covering him. Granted, QB can’t hold onto the ball for 5+ seconds most plays but anytime he can, Walley was open.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,588
31,860
113
He's very, very, very good. Should break every receiving record we have before he's done.
 

hatfieldms

All-Conference
Feb 20, 2008
8,765
2,530
113
He is fantastic. Still not sure how he held on to that one handed catch
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
He is the best looking freshman receiver we’ve had since Chad Bumphis, if not longer. And he will probably break quite a few of our school records.
 

ServiceDogg

Redshirt
Nov 19, 2017
60
20
8
It hasn't always showed in our games, but this year we have been blessed with some very talented receivers.
Heath and Walley are awesome. I really wish Tyrell Shavers had stuck around too.
Now that Will Rogers seems to be more comfortable, I would have loved to see what he could have done with Shavers, Heath, Walley, and one of the other guys in the starting receiver rotation.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,440
8,869
113
It hasn't always showed in our games, but this year we have been blessed with some very talented receivers.
Heath and Walley are awesome. I really wish Tyrell Shavers had stuck around too.
Now that Will Rogers seems to be more comfortable, I would have loved to see what he could have done with Shavers, Heath, Walley, and one of the other guys in the starting receiver rotation.

Shavers was the transfer from Bama? I was thinking about him during the game, if only he had stuck around.
 

ServiceDogg

Redshirt
Nov 19, 2017
60
20
8
Yeah Shavers was the 6'6" transfer WR from Bama. Big, strong, and fast.
The few times that you got to see him with the ball in his hands, you could definitely see the dude is talented.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,193
5,731
113
He is the best looking freshman receiver we’ve had since Chad Bumphis, if not longer. And he will probably break quite a few of our school records.

I think longer. Without checking, I would guess Bumphis had a more productive and consistent freshman year, but I don't remember him showing the flashes that Walley has shown.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
I think longer. Without checking, I would guess Bumphis had a more productive and consistent freshman year, but I don't remember him showing the flashes that Walley has shown.

Take this with a grain of salt because the offenses that Bumphis and Walley played in were extremely different, but since you mentioned it I had to check for myself:

Walley 2020 (so far): 8 games, 35 catches, 462 yards, 1 TD, 13.2 YPC
Bumphis 2009: 12 games, 32 catches, 375 yards, 4 TD, 11.7 YPC

We use them differently but the production is pretty similar to this point. Obviously Walley has a chance to get up close to 700 or so yards if he has a couple of more big games and that would make him by far our most productive freshman receiver ever.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,193
5,731
113
Take this with a grain of salt because the offenses that Bumphis and Walley played in were extremely different, but since you mentioned it I had to check for myself:

Walley 2020 (so far): 8 games, 35 catches, 462 yards, 1 TD, 13.2 YPC
Bumphis 2009: 12 games, 32 catches, 375 yards, 4 TD, 11.7 YPC

We use them differently but the production is pretty similar to this point. Obviously Walley has a chance to get up close to 700 or so yards if he has a couple of more big games and that would make him by far our most productive freshman receiver ever.
Wow, that is much less production than I was expecting from Bumphis. I knew we didn't have much offense outside of Boobie that year (until Relf got into the egg bowl), but I was thinking he got more yards and catches than that. I guess I was also paying a lot more attention then, whereas I ahve checked out at times this season.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation