Houston Texans grant JJ Watt's request to be released.

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,487
31,707
113
I know their whole organization has been a train wreck lately, but why wouldn't you trade him to at least get something for him? Meanwhile, they say they're not trading Watson. I'm sure that would go over real well this fall with a very unhappy superstar QB.
 

dawgman42

All-American
Jul 24, 2007
6,303
6,451
113
Because the Texans are a dumpster fire of an organization. They may be the worst in the league, which I know says a lot right there given some of the other poor franchises. But they are a real mess right now, inside and out, with bad directors, poor scouts, and an owner that's out of his league and mind.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,302
24,441
113
They wouldn’t get much for Watt. A 31 year old injury prone DE isn’t exactly a hot commodity for trades.

Trading Watson is going to be a huge hit cap wise. I think I read if they trade him they would have a 60+ million dollar cap hit.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,487
31,707
113
He's still a productive player and has played the full season 2 of the last 3 years. Naturally they wouldn't get as much for him as they would have 6 years ago, but anything's better than nothing, right?

I figured the cap would come into play in their reasons for doing what they're doing. If the hit is that big, they may have no choice but to keep him. Unless they decide to blow the whole thing up and go 0-16 this fall and rebuild from scratch.
 

Lawdawg.sixpack

All-Conference
Jul 22, 2012
5,352
1,215
113
They were 3 quarters away from the 2020 Super Bowl. Is Fresh as Hail consulting for them??...

But seriously, as a Texans fan, I'm done. JJ Watt is as loved in Houston as Drew Brees in New Orleans. This is a shame to see, no matter how productive he has been on the field lately.

I'm thinking Watt's current contract would've been a major obstacle to any trade.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,966
714
113
Because dude gave everything to the city for a decade and was classy as hell the whole time. It was a mutal respect thing vs ending up ina fight. Honestly, it was pretty cool
 

Dawgs'n'Grizz

Redshirt
Dec 12, 2016
248
0
0
Watts and Watson

Houston is in for a PR nightmare if they release Watt at his request but refuse to trade Watson at his request. They even get something in return with trading Watson.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama