Hot Tamales

Dawgpile

Senior
May 23, 2006
2,415
919
113
When my grandmother lived in Rosedale, we would get hot tamales from a street vendor whenever we'd visit. I've been jonesing for some delta style tamales and after looking at recipes online it looks like way too much trouble to make myself.

Anyone know of a restaurant or vendor that would ship them?
 

natchezdawg

Redshirt
Oct 4, 2009
1,239
0
0
There was nothing better than Joe’s

Not even Doe’s. The place is still in operation, I believe. No idea if it’s as good as it was.

Its hard to imagine that shipping tamales would be feasible, though.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
When my grandmother lived in Rosedale, we would get hot tamales from a street vendor whenever we'd visit. I've been jonesing for some delta style tamales and after looking at recipes online it looks like way too much trouble to make myself.

Anyone know of a restaurant or vendor that would ship them?

Zwollie Tamale is shipped through this company.

https://www.lacrawfish.com/Louisiana-Foods/Zwolle-Tamales
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
It has always amazed me how different Alabama (I grew up here) and Mississippi are. If I had not gone to state and then lived in Louisiana I wouldn't have even known tamales were sold in carts in the USA.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,059
2,812
113
I didn't know they were until tonight. Never saw them in Meridian growing up there.
 

Dawgpile

Senior
May 23, 2006
2,415
919
113
My first memories of tamales are from the early 1970's. Whenever we'd visit my grandmother there would be a point of emphasis amongst us visitors to get some tamales. I went on the expeditions to score several times and it was always from a street vendor, never a brick and mortar. Never actually a cart, but more like a guy with a cooler or a pot on a street corner.

The connection with a Spanish foodstuff to the Mississippi delta is a mystery. There are several theories but nothing certain.
 

Dawgpile

Senior
May 23, 2006
2,415
919
113
Tupelo is a drive-through on my way to visit family... I'll check them out.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
My first memories of tamales are from the early 1970's. Whenever we'd visit my grandmother there would be a point of emphasis amongst us visitors to get some tamales. I went on the expeditions to score several times and it was always from a street vendor, never a brick and mortar. Never actually a cart, but more like a guy with a cooler or a pot on a street corner.

The connection with a Spanish foodstuff to the Mississippi delta is a mystery. There are several theories but nothing certain.

The one I think is most likely is Mexican migrant workers coming up after the Great Migration to work the fields. It makes the most sense because the closer you get to Mexico through Louisiana and Texas the stronger the connection gets.

Imagine yourself, a poor man from Mississippi working the fields. Lunchtime comes and you have a piece of cold salt pork and a biscuit from last night. The Mexican guy next to you opens his lunch and steam comes out. Makes sense to me the people of Mississippi would learn how to make them.
 

Dawgpile

Senior
May 23, 2006
2,415
919
113
The one I think is most likely is Mexican migrant workers coming up after the Great Migration to work the fields. It makes the most sense because the closer you get to Mexico through Louisiana and Texas the stronger the connection gets.

Imagine yourself, a poor man from Mississippi working the fields. Lunchtime comes and you have a piece of cold salt pork and a biscuit from last night. The Mexican guy next to you opens his lunch and steam comes out. Makes sense to me the people of Mississippi would learn how to make them.

The people we bought from were always african-american, so I can see the link.

Wherever the origin, they were damn good!
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,494
31,717
113
Yep. They're good. And good people too. Used to have a restaurant on State St. with really good hamburgers too.
 

DAWGS1.sixpack

Redshirt
Feb 15, 2007
2,503
2
0
The BEST tamales are from the the MS Delta and it’s not even close as to 2nd best. The influx of Italians, Africans, and Mexicans came together to create the BEST tamales right there in the MS Delta.
I have a Mexican friend whose tamales are good but even he after living here for 20 years and having some ive brought back from the delta realizes those are just much better.
He may not like to admit it but it’s true.
 

was21

Senior
May 29, 2007
10,002
635
113
They already had a family duel....in court. They're both good...not a lot of difference in the product. Last month I preordered 12 dozen and drove three hours one way to pick them up
 

JML105

Redshirt
Sep 4, 2012
489
8
18
My first memories of tamales are from the early 1970's. Whenever we'd visit my grandmother there would be a point of emphasis amongst us visitors to get some tamales. I went on the expeditions to score several times and it was always from a street vendor, never a brick and mortar. Never actually a cart, but more like a guy with a cooler or a pot on a street corner.

The connection with a Spanish foodstuff to the Mississippi delta is a mystery. There are several theories but nothing certain.

Growing up in the Delta we always went "across the tracks" to an old shack where they served them up in old coffee cans full of juice that I would literally drink after the tamales were gone. You had to eat them with a real Italian salad and crackers and wash it all down with a Coca Cola. Later we moved from the Delta to South Texas. The first time my grandparents came to visit us there, my Papaw saw a sign at a Mexican Restaurant advertising tamales and was shocked that they made tamales there, lol.

Edit: Cicero's in Stoneville is the only place that still serves them to-go this way as far as I know.
 
Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,144
9,481
113
In my experience. Mexican restaurant tamales and delta tamales are not the same animal at all. I've stopped ordering in Mexican restaurants because they are usually heavy on doughy barely seasoned masa, light on meat, and the meat is shredded. I need heavily seasoned, grease oozing out, perfect mix of seasoned masa and seasoned ground beef.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,144
9,481
113
Turkey ones are fine to me. Black bean are edible but I don't prefer them. My wife make me eat them instead sometimes because they are "healthier"...
 

Mr Todd French

Sophomore
Mar 3, 2008
320
137
43
I’m going to blow your mind. If you’ve eaten tamales in most of the restaurants in Jackson and some other in the state, they came from Tony’s.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
No way they ship, but Dilworth's in Corinth was always our go-to growing up.
 

JML105

Redshirt
Sep 4, 2012
489
8
18
I hope these are good. I just ordered five dozen


$24/dz ? Okay moneybags. They're probably good, but they won't taste like Delta tamales. From the looks of them, they are more like a traditional Mexican tamale being more doughy and dry.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
$24/dz ? Okay moneybags. They're probably good, but they won't taste like Delta tamales. From the looks of them, they are more like a traditional Mexican tamale being more doughy and dry.

Looking at the size I will get 3-4 meals out of a dozen. So it works out. Plus I basically don't have to do any cooking.
 

triton28

Redshirt
Dec 18, 2009
1,344
42
43
There is no greater tamale than that of the big apple inn in Jackson. I believe they will ship them, you may just have to tell them how. They sold me them frozen Once before and I boiled them for a super bowl party.
 

Willowdawg

Redshirt
Dec 25, 2020
199
0
0
I wonder if this is where my dad got the tamales he always brought home from Vicksburg once a week when he was seeing a client over there. All I know is it was Vicksburg and they were damn good. Kinda small. Not big giant ones.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,652
12,156
113
Could have been either. A family rift caused the split as was21 stated. There is not a huge difference between the two since they came from Solly’s recipe.
 

Dawgpile

Senior
May 23, 2006
2,415
919
113
I got a call from Scott's today and my order is shipping. I'll post an update when I sample them.
 

Dog316

Redshirt
Aug 21, 2012
404
2
18
I got a half dozen from the The Taco Amigo food truck in Columbus. Terrible. Wound up throwing four away.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
There's a place in Petal (Chapel Hill Grocery). Guy there makes them. They are legit! They're not the small little tamales you normally see. The guy is from Central America and his ex-wife used to be famous for them but he's who really made them.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,705
12,440
113
I used to complain about the price of tamales, until I tried making them. It is a pain in the rear and as much as I love them its not worth the trouble. I came across a "Hot Tamale Ball" recipe awhile back and have made them and they are ok, same ingredients rolled into balls and put into a crock pot. Then I saw this video and made it, this is as close as I have gotten to the true flavor of tamales without actually making them. "Miss Lori" in this video speaks the truth, this is really good and easy made in a skillet. I think the masa is the difference in these and others I've tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplR-YpyY5A

 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama