Hlas’s last column

Max Rebo

All-Conference
Dec 31, 2022
827
2,249
93
Link here: Hlas

He, along with sport editor JR Ogden, who was also let go, will be missed.

I grew up reading Hlas’ column, with the sports page of the Gazette spread out on the kitchen table next to my bowl of Cap’n Crunch. I was just a kid, but I would soak up every word. And not just Hlas, but other writers too, like Mark Dukes and the legendary Gus Schrader. From their words, my Hawkeye fandom took root. I watched as Hlas grew from the young upstart on the Hawkeye beat to the wise old sage.

Legends come, and legends go, and the Gazette and Hlas will move on in different paths. I wish Mike the best in his new pursuits, and I thank him for his impactful career.
 

1inamillion

All-Conference
Oct 1, 2001
931
1,342
93
Link here: Hlas

He, along with sport editor JR Ogden, who was also let go, will be missed.

I grew up reading Hlas’ column, with the sports page of the Gazette spread out on the kitchen table next to my bowl of Cap’n Crunch. I was just a kid, but I would soak up every word. And not just Hlas, but other writers too, like Mark Dukes and the legendary Gus Schrader. From their words, my Hawkeye fandom took root. I watched as Hlas grew from the young upstart on the Hawkeye beat to the wise old sage.

Legends come, and legends go, and the Gazette and Hlas will move on in different paths. I wish Mike the best in his new pursuits, and I thank him for his impactful career.
Newspapers were so exciting before the internet. They also make a lot of trash and mess.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Washington's starters as recruits
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Iowa's starters as recruits
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Olympics Iowa and Ukraine women's wrestling reunite ahead of U23 Worlds
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Basketball Hawkeyes looking to build on last year's success, fueled by an early exit in March
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Basketball Jan Jensen speaks at Big Ten Media Days