Helping a smaller PA program

Coastal2

All-Conference
Dec 19, 2025
896
2,886
93
I mentioned in another thread about helping a Pennsylvania wrestling program and there seemed to be some interest.

The idea would be to purchase a group of season tickets that we could distribute to local wrestling programs who could then attend a match. We would also donate financially. An extra $25 dollars by an individual isn't going to make a huge difference to Penn State but could impact some schools who operate on a shoe string.

The first order would be to pick a program. Either Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro, or Mercyhurst would be my suggestions as each have their positives. I excluded Lock Haven as they seem to be holding their own but am open to other suggestions.

Bloomsburg - a sacrificial lamb for Penn State this season. Supporting them would be a show of support for opponents

Clarion - struggling with enrollment and finances.

Edinboro - has some fairly recent success

Mercyhurst - a recent DI move up and just added a women's team.
 

mhs103

Redshirt
Jan 26, 2020
1
0
0
I mentioned in another thread about helping a Pennsylvania wrestling program and there seemed to be some interest.

The idea would be to purchase a group of season tickets that we could distribute to local wrestling programs who could then attend a match. We would also donate financially. An extra $25 dollars by an individual isn't going to make a huge difference to Penn State but could impact some schools who operate on a shoe string.

The first order would be to pick a program. Either Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro, or Mercyhurst would be my suggestions as each have their positives. I excluded Lock Haven as they seem to be holding their own but am open to other suggestions.

Bloomsburg - a sacrificial lamb for Penn State this season. Supporting them would be a show of support for opponents

Clarion - struggling with enrollment and finances.

Edinboro - has some fairly recent success

Mercyhurst - a recent DI move up and just added a women's team.
Great idea. Please provide ticket office info.
 

dicemen99

All-American
Nov 15, 2005
3,576
5,321
113
I mentioned in another thread about helping a Pennsylvania wrestling program and there seemed to be some interest.

The idea would be to purchase a group of season tickets that we could distribute to local wrestling programs who could then attend a match. We would also donate financially. An extra $25 dollars by an individual isn't going to make a huge difference to Penn State but could impact some schools who operate on a shoe string.

The first order would be to pick a program. Either Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro, or Mercyhurst would be my suggestions as each have their positives. I excluded Lock Haven as they seem to be holding their own but am open to other suggestions.

Bloomsburg - a sacrificial lamb for Penn State this season. Supporting them would be a show of support for opponents

Clarion - struggling with enrollment and finances.

Edinboro - has some fairly recent success

Mercyhurst - a recent DI move up and just added a women's team.
Great idea! I think Bloom or Clarion - they probably could use the help the most.

I vote Bloom as a payback for the countless hours of entertainment afforded me between the frats and the coeds on my many trips there to meet my buddies from HS while I was in undergrad. Sleeping in an unfinished crawspace above a frat bedroom was never so fun!
 

Coastal2

All-Conference
Dec 19, 2025
896
2,886
93
I am going to give until this weekend so everyone can weigh in with their opinion.

We'll then contact the coach of the school to let them know what we're doing, contact the PJW Area chair to see if they'll give contact info for local programs for the tickets and I'll also link the straight donation page for whichever school we choose.

Maybe we support a different school each year or maybe we just pick one school and do it annually. Thoughts?
 

SRATH

All-American
May 29, 2001
3,146
6,308
113
Cool idea. Both Edinboro and Mercyhurst have women’s programs, which puts them ahead of the other two…….in my mind. Of course I’m Erie County biased
 

dicemen99

All-American
Nov 15, 2005
3,576
5,321
113
Cool idea. Both Edinboro and Mercyhurst have women’s programs, which puts them ahead of the other two…….in my mind. Of course I’m Erie County biased
IDK, the fact that they both have girls programs shows that there is more of an administrative commitment to wrestling - at least in my mind. I’d rather donate directly to a program that may need some momentum in hopes it is a small step towards putting their program on more solid footing.

At least that’s how I see it. Bloom got my vote, but Clarion would be my #2. I’d say we institute ranked voting and see what happens.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matter7172

Coastal2

All-Conference
Dec 19, 2025
896
2,886
93
IDK, the fact that they both have girls programs shows that there is more of an administrative commitment to wrestling - at least in my mind. I’d rather donate directly to a program that may need some momentum in hopes it is a small step towards putting their program on more solid footing.

At least that’s how I see it. Bloom got my vote, but Clarion would be my #2. I’d say we institute ranked voting and see what happens.
Ranking is a really good idea.

Everyone please comment with your first choice and second choice.
 

Nitlion1986

All-American
Apr 13, 2024
1,998
5,841
113
IDK, the fact that they both have girls programs shows that there is more of an administrative commitment to wrestling - at least in my mind. I’d rather donate directly to a program that may need some momentum in hopes it is a small step towards putting their program on more solid footing.

At least that’s how I see it. Bloom got my vote, but Clarion would be my #2. I’d say we institute ranked voting and see what happens.
I already buy season tickets to LHU and give the tickets away. I would actually suggest F&M or Millersville.
 
  • Like
Reactions: amattaro

BigFella235

Senior
Aug 13, 2021
243
753
93
I know Edinboro already does a bunch of local outreach events for wrestling (e.g. youth night, mat side socials, etc.). Getting AJ back has helped their lightweights get competitive again.

Mercyhurst is starting their first season at D1 this year. They’re probably gonna be down for a few years until they get a steady stream of talent coming in. Jimmy Overhiser has his work cut out for him too with Gannon across town and Boro a short drive away.

Clarion is back in a lull. They have some decent kids, but they’re far removed from the AA threats they had with Bekzod, Zacherl, and even Feldkamp.

A DII program to consider is Slippery Rock. They’ll be starting competition next season after a ton of hard work to bring the program back from the dead.

If you need to get ahold of the PJW All Area chairman, let me know. I’ve known him for years and he’s a family friend of my wife’s.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WPIALBrwnPSU

Coastal2

All-Conference
Dec 19, 2025
896
2,886
93
After looking a little bit, Bloomsburg doesn't have season tickets, they are only available at the door.

And Slippery Rock would be a viable option also. Michigan announces the Slippery Rock scores at their football games so we might be able to get some of their fans involved in donating also. They don't start until next season so the ticket giveaway would be impossible for this year.
 

TwoJoints

Senior
Feb 2, 2025
230
731
93
My 1st choice would be Clarion, a classic program in need of revival. After that Bloomsburg and Slippery Rock would also be great choices. As an aside, I watched the stream of a few Bloomsburg home duals last season and the kid who did the PBP (ok, anyone under 45 is a kid to me) did some pretty decent work. I remember him getting into a pretty good discussion of “correct” head position for an underhook (it depends).
 
  • Like
Reactions: d-1980 and Joejitsu

Coastal2

All-Conference
Dec 19, 2025
896
2,886
93
My 1st choice would be Clarion, a classic program in need of revival. After that Bloomsburg and Slippery Rock would also be great choices. As an aside, I watched the stream of a few Bloomsburg home duals last season and the kid who did the PBP (ok, anyone under 45 is a kid to me) did some pretty decent work. I remember him getting into a pretty good discussion of “correct” head position for an underhook (it depends).
PSAC teams have a lot of duals on the PSAC channel. Backup wrestlers oftentimes are the commentators for the match so the knowledge level and insights are so much better that major duals. I think it was Edinboro last year where the kid was predicting moves before they happened at the 3 or 4 weights around his weight. He saw set ups coming as he's had that happen to him from the same kids at practice.
 
Oct 12, 2021
229
497
63
PSAC teams have a lot of duals on the PSAC channel. Backup wrestlers oftentimes are the commentators for the match so the knowledge level and insights are so much better that major duals. I think it was Edinboro last year where the kid was predicting moves before they happened at the 3 or 4 weights around his weight. He saw set ups coming as he's had that happen to him from the same kids at practice.
I would love for the PSAC schools to loan a few of these kids out so I never have to hear Cormier again.

Seriously though, good for those schools. Get the kids some experience on the mic and give the viewers great insight.
 

Joejitsu

Senior
Jun 10, 2025
452
649
93
NIL is going to kill the state schools. In todays culture there is zero possiblity that a Clarion could land a Kurt Angle, Sheldon Thomas, Don Rohn, or a Wade Schalles and even if they did they would leave with the portal bc of the NIL money available in the big schools.
 

TwoJoints

Senior
Feb 2, 2025
230
731
93
NIL is going to kill the state schools. In todays culture there is zero possiblity that a Clarion could land a Kurt Angle, Sheldon Thomas, Don Rohn, or a Wade Schalles and even if they did they would leave with the portal bc of the NIL money available in the big schools.
The guy who cuts my hair has a son who plays defensive end at Merrimack College. I told him I was flipping through the sports channels the previous Thursday night and saw his kid’s team playing an away game at Delaware. He told me the team is playing a number of much higher ranked D1 schools as visiting opponents this season because they are using the visitor’s purse to pay for their football program. To me, being the roadkill for a much larger D1 program (they’re traveling to Wake Forest on Nov 7th) is a tough way to keep your nose above water.
 

Wrestleknownothing

All-American
Oct 30, 2021
2,309
6,185
113
NIL is going to kill the state schools. In todays culture there is zero possiblity that a Clarion could land a Kurt Angle, Sheldon Thomas, Don Rohn, or a Wade Schalles and even if they did they would leave with the portal bc of the NIL money available in the big schools.
I don't think you can blame NIL for that. These guys graduated 20 to 50 years before NIL was a thing. Clarion has had 1 AA since NIL became a thing after having none for the eight seasons prior to NIL.
 

BigFella235

Senior
Aug 13, 2021
243
753
93
I don't think you can blame NIL for that. These guys graduated 20 to 50 years before NIL was a thing. Clarion has had 1 AA since NIL became a thing after having none for the eight seasons prior to NIL.
If nothing else, NIL ups the pressure on state school coaches to hit on the proverbial diamonds in the rough. Ask Tim Flynn how difficult it is to identify guys like AJ Schopp, Mitchell Port, or David Habat while working on a shoestring state school budget
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wrestleknownothing

Coastal2

All-Conference
Dec 19, 2025
896
2,886
93
I don't think you can blame NIL for that. These guys graduated 20 to 50 years before NIL was a thing. Clarion has had 1 AA since NIL became a thing after having none for the eight seasons prior to NIL.
The real issue is that Clarion's enrollment has fallen off a cliff. In the last 20 years, enrollment has dropped from approx 7500 to around 1500. The population decline in rural areas, especially north of I-80 has crushed the Clarions and Mansfields of the world.
 

a_mshaffer

Senior
Dec 8, 2014
378
578
93
The guy who cuts my hair has a son who plays defensive end at Merrimack College. I told him I was flipping through the sports channels the previous Thursday night and saw his kid’s team playing an away game at Delaware. He told me the team is playing a number of much higher ranked D1 schools as visiting opponents this season because they are using the visitor’s purse to pay for their football program. To me, being the roadkill for a much larger D1 program (they’re traveling to Wake Forest on Nov 7th) is a tough way to keep your nose above water.
the sad thing is that injuries await... like a heavyweight fighting a lightweight... the smaller schools have much smaller kids (mostly)...
 
  • Like
Reactions: SkiSkiSki
Oct 12, 2021
229
497
63
I don't think you can blame NIL for that. These guys graduated 20 to 50 years before NIL was a thing. Clarion has had 1 AA since NIL became a thing after having none for the eight seasons prior to NIL.
I don’t think @Joejitsu is blaming NIL for it as much as he foresees NIL squashing the ability for smaller schools to compete in the future. I think @Coastal2 makes a great point in that enrollment is the bigger threat. Lack of enrollment is crippling those schools to the point of insolvency in all areas athletic and academic(Hence the recent reorg/goofy renaming of schools).

Like @BigFella235 said, these schools will have to operate like the Twins, Royals, or Pirates and strike gold in the late rounds or with deft free agent signings. Perhaps, as someone opined on here a while ago, some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers from bigger schools can transfer over and help them compete. Guys like Bearclaw or Cochran would be killers for these teams.
 

TwoJoints

Senior
Feb 2, 2025
230
731
93
the sad thing is that injuries await... like a heavyweight fighting a lightweight... the smaller schools have much smaller kids (mostly)...
You’re so right about that. My guy’s son is playing DE walking around at about 250-260 and is playing against OL well over 300lbs.
 
Oct 12, 2021
229
497
63
You’re so right about that. My guy’s son is playing DE walking around at about 250-260 and is playing against OL well over 300lbs.
Yea. Those games are sad to watch (especially when you have a rooting interest in the smaller team). The elite DI schools have 3 kids at the same position that big with elite athleticism. Even in games where the smaller schools hang in there for a quarter or two, you see the separation in the second half.

Totally get why the smaller schools play these games, but…
 

Joejitsu

Senior
Jun 10, 2025
452
649
93
I don't think you can blame NIL for that. These guys graduated 20 to 50 years before NIL was a thing. Clarion has had 1 AA since NIL became a thing after having none for the eight seasons prior to NIL.
I get it... Clarion has been in a decline since Bob Bubb retired. Edinboro since Baumgartner retired. I can go on and on... but reality is.... a great coach was able to bring in top talent like a Kurt Angle to a Clarion or a Josh Koscheck to an Edinboro, or a Cary Kolat to a Lock Haven...

is there any way that is possible now in the NIL era.? I just dont see a pathforward
also... even if they get a guy develop him for a couple of years.... and they become legit... they will transfer out with the open portal and chase NIL $

Like Bulsak and Feldman has done over the past couple of years.
Or like Noto or Wyatt Henson leaving Lock Haven... or the entire Edinboro team

No... NIL is not the only reason for the decline of the state schools wrestling
but is certainly looks like the nail in the coffin!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wrestleknownothing

Joejitsu

Senior
Jun 10, 2025
452
649
93
If nothing else, NIL ups the pressure on state school coaches to hit on the proverbial diamonds in the rough. Ask Tim Flynn how difficult it is to identify guys like AJ Schopp, Mitchell Port, or David Habat while working on a shoestring state school budget
agreed and I bet he would tell you that the only thing harder than finding them is keeping them
 

Joejitsu

Senior
Jun 10, 2025
452
649
93
I don’t think @Joejitsu is blaming NIL for it as much as he foresees NIL squashing the ability for smaller schools to compete in the future. I think @Coastal2 makes a great point in that enrollment is the bigger threat. Lack of enrollment is crippling those schools to the point of insolvency in all areas athletic and academic(Hence the recent reorg/goofy renaming of schools).

Like @BigFella235 said, these schools will have to operate like the Twins, Royals, or Pirates and strike gold in the late rounds or with deft free agent signings. Perhaps, as someone opined on here a while ago, some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers from bigger schools can transfer over and help them compete. Guys like Bearclaw or Cochran would be killers for these teams.
Exactly,... if may not be the sole cause but it is the straw that broke the camels back so to speak
 

BigFella235

Senior
Aug 13, 2021
243
753
93
agreed and I bet he would tell you that the only thing harder than finding them is keeping them
I know not everybody is a Doug Schwab or Mark Branch, but they manage to hang on to most of their guys (e.g. Parker Keckeisen, Bryce Meredith) better than many others in their position. To me, that shows that there’s a path forward if you recruit the right kids
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Recruiting By The Numbers: How Penn State's 2026 White Out recruiting list stacks up to previous years
  2. 02 BWI Football Cooper, Penn State defense strive to bounce back from "embarassing" showing
  3. 03 BWI Football Matt Campbell: Penn State has failed to play ‘in rhythm’ for six quarters
  4. 04 BWI Football Can a Penn State offensive lineman getting healthier help unlock the Penn State offense? It's something to watch
  5. 05 BWI Football Matt Campbell: Penn State ‘not going to waver’ after back-to-back losses