Gun Question

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
718
603
93
Looking to buy an AR-10 and have scoured the interwebs the past few days comparing models. The Springfield Armory Saint Victor Series caught my eye, however, it seems that production at SA is having a difficult time keeping up with demand. Figured i'd ask the pack for recommendations for a comparable model that may be easier to find. One gun shop in Ruleville said it'd be at least a 6 month wait. I know any AR (excuse me, AR is offensive) I mean, MSR (modern sporting rifle) is going to be difficult to find, guess I didn't anticipate the difficulty.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,523
16,273
113
Build your own. It's fun and easy. See if MPS has a lower to sell you. Then buy the rest online through whoever has stuff in stock. Look for a fully built up and the kit that goes with it. Then you can nerd out on accessories. I know very little about gunsmithing, but I managed to put together several ARs. It's fairly easy and straightforward. All you need is a good manual (Amazon).

I personally don't like the Saint because it's not totally modular. You're kinda stuck with what it is. I like ARs because they are like legos. You can mix and match parts to fit your needs.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,420
8,844
113
What is the intended use? What chamber do you want (7.62)?

If for a SHTF situation, I'd look at an AR-15, lighter, more common ammunition and you can carry more rounds on your person.
 

BELdog

Sophomore
Aug 23, 2012
1,166
117
58
I’ve got a couple Aero Precision M5s (one 308 and the other 6.5 Creedmoor) and a Falkor Defense Omega in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Aeros are solid rifles and fall in the same price range as the Springfield you are looking at. I doubt they will be any easier to find right now though. The Smith & Wesson M&P-10 is another solid option. The best advice I can give you is to buy/build on the DPMS pattern. Mags and accessories are much more plentiful than the Armalite patterned rifles.

Also, AR-10s are not as easy to build as AR-15s because there is zero standard, so keep that in mind if you decide to build for yourself.
 

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
718
603
93
Intended use is hog/deer hunting and prep for when SHTF. I want a .308
Reason being: I already own a .308 bolt-action and don't want to add yet another caliber to shop/stockpile. Plus, 5.56 ammo currently has a limit on purchasing while .308 doesn't.
As far as carrying rounds, the weight difference is not a major concern of mine. Worth considering, definitely, but not a primary consideration.
 

Trojanbulldog19

All-American
Aug 25, 2014
10,137
5,917
113
I saw a saint some one had ordered from Palmetto not long ago so that’s probably still your best bet other than building one. Also to note even though it’s more limit of 556 than 308 in many places it still seems easier to get 556 in bulk versus the 308 just from I’m seeing. More of the retail places have more of the 556 in stock or available more often than the 308.

Good luck for what ever your purposes are.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,900
11,332
113
I went 308 over the 5.56 the last time everything went crazy. I bought a bunch of ammo from the Anniston Al Arsenal. It’s reloads loaded with a 168 gr Sierra Match King hollow point. No idea if that’s still possible to buy there. I think you had to be a member of the Civilian Marksmanship Program in order to purchase.
 

Eleven Bravo

Junior
Aug 31, 2018
625
283
63
I bought an AR10 in .308 from Windham Weaponry a little over a year ago. Bought it to shoot hogs and deer with. .308 ammo has gotten extremely hard to find here recently-you can probably buy .556 more easily these days. I did a lot of research, and Windham was more recommended by friends than any other brand you can buy. You can certainly build your own, but I wanted to buy something ready to go. I really am impressed with the weapon-its very high quality at its price point ($1100 including tax).
 

stateguy

Redshirt
Sep 2, 2012
332
48
28
Little bit of caution with building your own - there is not the same standardization with AR-10 as there is with AR15

I don’t know all the details of how they differ but definitely some differences in some brands
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,320
6,711
113
What he said. It’ll end up being way more special to you in the end. And you’ll save money in the long run. If you buying stock you’ll eventually want to put your own twist on it and spend much more. Get a cheap vice to build your own lower. Get a stripped lower and buy your parts. For mine and ones I’ve built for friends I always go extra on a trigger. Buy the other internals in packages. You’ll get the specific grip and stock you want. It makes a difference. Then buy an assembled upper with whatever twist barrel and gas block length you want. It’s real simple and fun to do. There’s more to it than I told you, but that’s the basics. There’s dummy proof videos out there for you to do it.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama