Flag football.....

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I just saw where flag football was added to the World Games in B'ham for 2022. NFL is sponsoring it, and the host city can choose up to 5 'games' to add to the current slate. This isn't new or anything, I think it was announced in July. Either way, it's pretty obvious that flag football is being pushed by the NFL to promote interest in the game.

My question is this: Does it succeed in that? I've noticed that flag leagues are exploding in popularity around Jackson, Birmingham, Memphis, etc.

Secondly, I hear people all the time say that flag teaches fundamentals of tackle. I'm not sure I agree with that in my experience, especially 5 on 5. This is totally eliminating linemen.

Ultimately I guess it's a way for the NFL to ensure football survives. I do think a lot of people are overplaying the idea that tackle football will eventually die out. What will all those guys who would have played football actually do? It's the only macho sport left, and for the big boys, their only option.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,707
12,444
113
At this moment, there is exactly the same number of threads on the front page of The Pack about men's basketball as there is about flag football.
 

Lawdawg.sixpack

All-Conference
Jul 22, 2012
5,352
1,215
113
On your second point, i'll disagree a little.

Secondly, I hear people all the time say that flag teaches fundamentals of tackle. I'm not sure I agree with that in my experience, especially 5 on 5. This is totally eliminating linemen.


Of course, tackle football best teaches the fundamentals of tackle football. But as I've seen, flag football is a better way to learn offensive and defensive strategies at a young age. In youth tackle, your playbook is limited and, usually, only a couple of kids on each team touch the ball on offense. But in flag, your playbook is more open, and everyone can catch a pass or run the ball. Defenses have to learn play man/zone/QB contain, etc. And for QBs, you have to learn how to read the defense, recognize safeties and blitzes, etc. In youth tackle, QB basically runs keeper or hands it off left or right, with a rare play action pass.

As for linemen, the footwork and angles they learn by screen blocking in flag football will really prepare them for understanding the same concepts in tackle. For instance, I had a big kid on my son's team this year. At the beginning of the season, he would reach to push kids around and got called for an illegal block several times. But by the end of the year, he learned how to use his feet and how to stay between the defender and our ballcarrier. Now, with that great footwork, imagine how much better of a blocker he will be when he can put his hands on the defenders.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,885
17,160
113
I first realized I was getting old

When I attempted to play flag football with some college aged guys a few years ago.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
On your second point, i'll disagree a little.



[/COLOR]Of course, tackle football best teaches the fundamentals of tackle football. But as I've seen, flag football is a better way to learn offensive and defensive strategies at a young age. In youth tackle, your playbook is limited and, usually, only a couple of kids on each team touch the ball on offense. But in flag, your playbook is more open, and everyone can catch a pass or run the ball. Defenses have to learn play man/zone/QB contain, etc. And for QBs, you have to learn how to read the defense, recognize safeties and blitzes, etc. In youth tackle, QB basically runs keeper or hands it off left or right, with a rare play action pass.

As for linemen, the footwork and angles they learn by screen blocking in flag football will really prepare them for understanding the same concepts in tackle. For instance, I had a big kid on my son's team this year. At the beginning of the season, he would reach to push kids around and got called for an illegal block several times. But by the end of the year, he learned how to use his feet and how to stay between the defender and our ballcarrier. Now, with that great footwork, imagine how much better of a blocker he will be when he can put his hands on the defenders.
Is your league 7 on 7?
 

HotMop

All-American
May 8, 2006
8,591
7,348
113
When I lived in Kenner, LA we had Tackle Football and Flag Football. This was in 1976-1978. Nothing new here.
 

SwampDawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2008
2,193
122
63
I can understand how it would be fun to play flag football, but no way can I understand how it would be fun to watch. It would be like watching somebody play marbles.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I can understand how it would be fun to play flag football, but no way can I understand how it would be fun to watch. It would be like watching somebody play marbles.
Agree, and I really don't know how many spectators those World Games get. But, I am glad kids are playing and enjoying flag though.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
When I lived in Kenner, LA we had Tackle Football and Flag Football. This was in 1976-1978. Nothing new here.
Seems fairly new here as far as youth participation. League has went from pretty basic 2-3 years ago, to much more sophisticated. Participation is up too, probably to the detriment to soccer.

Funny when you talk about soccer, that's what people played in the fall when I was growing up. That's what all my kids played first. We stopped once they started trying to entice people to play year round and pay a bunch of money for additional stuff.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
On your second point, i'll disagree a little.



[/COLOR]Of course, tackle football best teaches the fundamentals of tackle football. But as I've seen, flag football is a better way to learn offensive and defensive strategies at a young age. In youth tackle, your playbook is limited and, usually, only a couple of kids on each team touch the ball on offense. But in flag, your playbook is more open, and everyone can catch a pass or run the ball. Defenses have to learn play man/zone/QB contain, etc. And for QBs, you have to learn how to read the defense, recognize safeties and blitzes, etc. In youth tackle, QB basically runs keeper or hands it off left or right, with a rare play action pass.

As for linemen, the footwork and angles they learn by screen blocking in flag football will really prepare them for understanding the same concepts in tackle. For instance, I had a big kid on my son's team this year. At the beginning of the season, he would reach to push kids around and got called for an illegal block several times. But by the end of the year, he learned how to use his feet and how to stay between the defender and our ballcarrier. Now, with that great footwork, imagine how much better of a blocker he will be when he can put his hands on the defenders.

Agree.

I played flag football at State every fall I was there (1985-1990). After that (early 90s), I played in a Jackson city league over at the old VA fields.

In flag football, you've GOT to breakdown into athletic position and move your feet to make blocks and pull flags.

I remember playing at the VA . . . one of the teams we played had a QB that was as quick as a cat. I was one of our two rushers on D, and both of us could run like a MFer . . . but we couldn't touch this QB.

I've never seen anybody as quick as this guy. He'd take the shotgun snap and completely ignore us rushing him . . . until we got within 2 steps of him.

Then, he'd breakdown and juke us this way and that way . . . and then he'd just run away from us. He was unbelievable . . . I've never played against anyone that quick and fast.

Somebody said he was a backup QB at JSU . . . wish I could remember his name.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor