Financial Doc question

Inky29

All-American
Jun 2, 2001
10,030
8,365
113
I'm looking over a breakdown of annual earnings and the last line just says EBIDTA. I know what it stands for but i'm more curious as to the significance. I assume a higher EBIDTA means more money or profitable a company is?
 
Dec 22, 2013
32,858
41,524
113
I'm looking over a breakdown of annual earnings and the last line just says EBIDTA. I know what it stands for but i'm more curious as to the significance. I assume a higher EBIDTA means more money or profitable a company is?


EBITDA is considered non-GAAP, but is a measure of (pre-tax) cash flow. Non-cash expense (and sometimes revenue) items are added back to pre-tax net income. The idea is it gives both a truer cash flow reading of financial performance and removes the vagaries of tax policy from the bottom line for comparison's sake.

EDIT: I left out the interest portion of the discussion. Adding back the interest gives a truer indication of result so operations, absent financing differences and also gives a reading on how much cash flow is available relative to debt service requirements
 
O State Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 O State Illustrated Football Oklahoma State kicker Sam Keltner is ready for the spotlight
  2. 02 O State Illustrated Football OSI Breakdown Week 4 | Cowboys vs. Mountaineers
  3. 03 On3 Football Big 12 names Football Players of the Week after Week 4
  4. 04 O State Illustrated Football Takeaways from Oklahoma State’s 41-24 win over West Virginia
  5. 05 O State Illustrated Football Oklahoma State rolls West Virginia 41-24, win third straight