Favorite Potato chip

BUFFALO LION

All-Conference
Oct 4, 2001
1,206
1,922
113
I came over today to see what this Board was discussing and the top topic was “Favorite Potato Chip”.😂😂😂😂


Back to the Den. 🙂
 
  • Like
Reactions: Midnighter

nittanymoops

All-Conference
Feb 4, 2004
827
1,464
93
Middleswarth is the correct answer. I once drove past the plant during operations and the wind/weather brought the cloud down to ground level as I arrived. It was like being trapped in a sealed bag and was heavenly. Kettle cooked version is the best, I believe.

Martin's are an acceptable substitute.
 

BeerLion

Senior
Oct 12, 2021
354
763
93
Back in the day, Troyer Farms had no equal, but once the were sold they changed for the worse (not even sure they are even sold any longer). Big Middlesworth BBQ fan and I like Utz quite a bit. But I have to say when I think of potato chips, Herr's would not even come to mind.
 

manatree

All-American
Oct 6, 2021
3,531
6,355
113
Hartley’s for plain. Middleswarth for BBQ. Martin’s & Gibbles are pretty good. If I’m looking for other flavors: Gibble’s Red Hot, Hartley’s Sour Cream & Onion, Herr’s Salt & Vinegar, Herr’s Old Bay, Zapp’s (made by Utz) Voodoo.

While Lay’s/Walker’s has some fun flavors, they are the worst potato chip on the market. Wise is a close second and yet just another reason to hate Berwick.
 
Last edited:

PAgeologist

All-Conference
Oct 19, 2021
1,468
2,976
113
Middleswarth is the correct answer. I once drove past the plant during operations and the wind/weather brought the cloud down to ground level as I arrived. It was like being trapped in a sealed bag and was heavenly. Kettle cooked version is the best, I believe.

Martin's are an acceptable substitute.
I agree. Kettle Cooked BBQ is my favorite.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: PSU1969A

PAgeologist

All-Conference
Oct 19, 2021
1,468
2,976
113
Middleswarth. Utz. Gibble's. Herr's. Wise. Snyder. Martin's. Etc. etc. Does every state have a boatload of potato chip brands or is it just a PA thing??
There are quite a few large potato farms in PA.

Before food storage and shipping became modernized, regional brands were needed to sell a fresh product. A lot of those companies went under as larger ones branched out to their area. For whatever reason, a lot of PAs have survived and taken large market shares.
 

psuro

Heisman
Aug 24, 2001
9,795
21,557
113
There are quite a few large potato farms in PA.

Before food storage and shipping became modernized, regional brands were needed to sell a fresh product. A lot of those companies went under as larger ones branched out to their area. For whatever reason, a lot of PAs have survived and taken large market shares.
The Agribusiness consortiums felt that the farms were too small to operate profitably. They needed much larger farms.

- or so, I have heard.
 
Last edited:

NittPicker

Heisman
Jun 30, 2001
6,599
14,098
113
Stick around. This board can argue about anything inconsequential from favorite potato chip to who actually runs the Government. That would feed your need for unnecessary drama.
The potato chip companies run the government. I thought everybody knew that. 🤷‍♂️
 
  • Like
Reactions: BobPSU92

Bison13

All-American
May 26, 2013
3,771
6,303
113
Middleswarth. Utz. Gibble's. Herr's. Wise. Snyder. Martin's. Etc. etc. Does every state have a boatload of potato chip brands or is it just a PA thing??
I can’t answer your question, but I can tell you that if you’re within 20 miles of Hanover PA, you can definitely smell it.
 

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,583
22,784
113
Stick around. This board can argue about anything inconsequential from favorite potato chip to who actually runs the Government. That would feed your need for unnecessary drama.
I’m totally disengaged from the potato chip discussion but #subjectlinesmatter, ffs. This board doesn’t exist simply for the enjoyment of one individual; nowhere is it mandated that every thread must pique your interest. I skip a third of the threads here, ballpark. (This is easy since roughly one sixth of the threads are jukebox threads. ;))
 
Last edited:

psuro

Heisman
Aug 24, 2001
9,795
21,557
113
I’m totally disengaged from the potato chip discussion but #subjectlinesmatter, ffs.
So, you are an antichipite?

We have ways of addresing that.

Bryan Cranston Seinfeld GIF by HULU
 
  • Like
Reactions: LafayetteBear

Mufasa94

All-Conference
Jan 9, 2009
1,190
1,020
113
Snyder’s BBQ, although their quality control has decreased in the last x years.
 

bwc

Senior
May 22, 2014
183
488
63
Hartley’s for plain. Middleswarth for BBQ. Martin’s & Gibbles are pretty good. If I’m looking for other flavors: Gibble’s Red Hot, Hartley’s Sour Cream & Onion, Herr’s Salt & Vinegar, Herr’s Old Bay, Zapp’s (made by Utz) Voodoo.

While Lay’s/Walker’s has some fun flavors, they are the worst potato chip on the market. Wise is a close second and yet just another reason to hate Berwick.

Hartley's cheddar jalapeño and salt and vinegar are phenomenal, on par with BBQ and sour cream Middleswarth. For me it's Hartley's and Middleswarth in a first place tie........ then everyone else fighting for a very distant 3rd place.
 

NittPicker

Heisman
Jun 30, 2001
6,599
14,098
113
Snyder’s BBQ, although their quality control has decreased in the last x years.
I too always liked Snyder of Berlin BBQ but the company was acquired by Utz in 2019. Maybe that has affected the quality since Utz' focus is likely on their own brand and they're keeping Snyder around to keep that base happy. Dunno, maybe they'll eventually phase out Snyder of Berlin.

For BBQ I now look for Middleswarth, ridges if I can find them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bbrown

manatree

All-American
Oct 6, 2021
3,531
6,355
113
Hartley's cheddar jalapeño and salt and vinegar are phenomenal, on par with BBQ and sour cream Middleswarth. For me it's Hartley's and Middleswarth in a first place tie........ then everyone else fighting for a very distant 3rd place.

Growing up in Sunbury, we were a Middleswarth & Gibble’s family. Paternal grandparents were Bickel’s & Good’s. Weis didn’t carry Hartley’s back then, but we discovered them when I came to Penn State, back when they still used those wax paper bags. My parents quickly switched their allegiance to Hartley’s.
 

bbrown

Heisman
Jul 26, 2001
15,310
30,882
113
I too always liked Snyder of Berlin BBQ but the company was acquired by Utz in 2019. Maybe that has affected the quality since Utz' focus is likely on their own brand and they're keeping Snyder around to keep that base happy. Dunno, maybe they'll eventually phase out Snyder of Berlin.

For BBQ I now look for Middleswarth, ridges if I can find them.
I'm from the area and you are correct but they've been through about 2-3 different companies in the last 15 years or so. At one time they only bough potatoes from local farmers but that changed.
Their BBQ and they were the first to offer Jalapeno around me were excellent but yea that was a long time ago.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Cooper, Penn State defense strive to bounce back from "embarassing" showing
  2. 02 BWI Football Matt Campbell: Penn State has failed to play ‘in rhythm’ for six quarters
  3. 03 BWI Football Can a Penn State offensive lineman getting healthier help unlock the Penn State offense? It's something to watch
  4. 04 BWI Football Matt Campbell: Penn State ‘not going to waver’ after back-to-back losses
  5. 05 BWI Recruiting Stat Recap: How have Penn State's 2027 commits performed halfway through their senior seasons?