Favorite linebackers

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,964
1,817
113
Watching Erroll Thompson play has made this year a little more bearable. Seems like even in the worst of times we've had talent at the linebacker position. Who were your favorite to watch play?

1. Mario Haggen - Dude played hard on the best and the worst of the Jackie teams. He and Norwood made it worth tuning in.

2. Barrin Simpson - If you never saw Joe Lee's defense when he had the talent he needed to make it work, you missed some fun times.

3. Quinton, KJ, Chris White, Wells, Chaney, Favors, Juan Long, Culberson, Mawhinney, Daniel Boyd. We didn't always win a lot of games but you knew you'd been hit.
 

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,333
12,320
113
A list of state linebackers should begin with D.D. Lewis and Johnnie Cooks. Warriors.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
A lot of those guys you mention were that hybrid DE/LB types, which we seem to produce a good many of over the years. Which means we're obviously running the right kind of defense for our personnel.

But to answer your question, K.J. Wright and Chris White were my favorite tandem to watch. They were just so fast.

Marc Woodard was another.
 
Last edited:

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,559
22,419
113
The other thing about Erroll is he seems to get social media. He says all the right things which makes you endear yourself to him that much more.
 

ServiceDogg

Redshirt
Nov 19, 2017
60
20
8
Benardrick McKinney and Mario Haggan are probably my favorite linebackers.
I also enjoyed watching Chris White and the Brown Boys (Richie Brown & Beni Brown)
 

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,964
1,817
113
I got to see Johnnie Cooks play, but I didn't know enough about what I was watching at the time to appreciate it.
 

dawgman42

All-American
Jul 24, 2007
6,307
6,457
113
I'm partial to Marc Woodard, Juan Long, Dwayne Curry, and Wesley Leasy. But so many good ones to choose from over the years.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,139
2,562
113
I've loved watching Brule this year. That guy plays like a maniac out there.

Wright, White, McKinney and Culberson were my other faves. Cam Lawrence was a heck of LB too.

Great LBs seem to come in pairs. Kind of like they feed off of each other. Brule and Thompson this year. Wright & White, the Browns, the entire 2014 group - for as much as we bitched about 1A and 1B defense, we did have about 5 or 6 legit LBs.
 

tcdog70

Junior
Sep 24, 2012
1,406
268
83
DD only player we had.all sec on a ****** team. Name another LB that had 30 tackles in a game.
 

thatsbaseball

All-American
May 29, 2007
18,387
7,434
113
DD graduated a year before I got there but for several years after he graduated he lived in Starkville in the off season. Got to know him pretty well when we lived at the same apartment complex one year. Good guy......good times .
 

$altyDawg

Senior
Aug 30, 2018
1,322
590
113
Johnnie Cooks was a bad, bad man. Talk about warriors: Go back and watch the 80 Bama game. Those Bama backs and receivers weren't used to getting hit like that. That game was a brutal war, and our D was up to the task!
 

tcdog70

Junior
Sep 24, 2012
1,406
268
83
Ray started out a full back but quickly became a linebacker. He is #2 behind DD then Johnnie Cooks.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
One of the hardest hitting linebackers I ever saw play at Mississippi State was Jeff Walker. Sadly he only got to punt.
 

boatsandhoes

Junior
Sep 6, 2012
2,151
208
63
I liked Bennie brown’s game a lot.

Gotta give keo Coleman a nod for making forecade **** his pants in the egg bowl.
 

T-TownDawgg

All-Conference
Nov 4, 2015
4,819
4,974
113
I'm still looking for the old Jefferson Pilot footage of Jeff Walker mixing it up with some special teams badass who ended up getting bodyslammed by Jeff WWF style. Jeff got flagged for a UC and 15 yds, but so worth it
 

Avelso

Redshirt
Apr 20, 2014
105
0
0
Dr. Daniel Boyd. He was at State while i was there and he wasnt our best LB ever he is the epitome of a tough student athlete.
 

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,263
6,509
113
It was either the 6-3 Bama Game or it was the Ole Miss Game where Fourcade ended up beating us in Jackson. I remember a running back broke free and Johnie Cooks ran him down and it was not an angle situation. The back had to have at least a 5 yard gap on him. JC ran by other players and caught the guy. It was a jaw dropper.
 

L4Dawg

All-American
Oct 27, 2016
11,842
8,302
113
A list of state linebackers should begin with D.D. Lewis and Johnnie Cooks. Warriors.

I remember DD with the Cowboys, not at MSU. Cooks' last year was my freshman year at state. He is the best linebacker I've ever seen at MSU. I remember the Miami Hurricane center put him out of the game once, we were in shock. He came back the next play and lined up directly over the center. After that play the center went out of the game, and he didn't return.
 

Palos verdes

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
1,839
36
48
Chris White nearly singlehandedly shut down Florida's offense in Gainesville, 2010. He was a machine.
 
Jun 9, 2015
615
538
93
I’m with Kired on Cam Lawrence. He was an underrated part of that defense. But we have had a plethora of solid linebackers. I wish I would have been able to watch Johnnie Cooks, the stories I hear say a lot about the ball player he was.
 

msu86

Redshirt
Sep 17, 2015
245
0
0
As a young kid Daniel Boyd is who I would pretend to be in backyard football games. He seemed to be around every tackle.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar