Extra ANF podcast keys to the game

uihawk82

All-Conference
Nov 17, 2021
2,939
4,374
113
The brothers do a great job summarizing the Mich game and the upcoming OSU game.

For OSU - QB Sayin is not a dual threat and they say he is their weakness as well as being a great passer strength. I add if Iowa can hold down the OSU rushing game and then get a really good pass rush to fluster Sayin that is how OSU got beat their last two losses of last year. Indiana and Miami stopped the running game and pressured Sayin into mistakes ( and Ryan Day teams do make mistakes) so do the same thing hawks.

Offensively, Iowa needs to find a better running game, even a 4 yard running average with some big runs early can help. ANF guys think Iowa will need to have a really good passing game. So maybe pass to set up the run as they say. Screen passes and swing passes to running backs are like run plays. I remember watching some of Lester's WMU offense and he had two running backs in the backfield many times and one would go out for passes most plays. Not a bad way to use Jackson's speed.
 

HAWKNESS

Senior
Jul 6, 2025
246
457
63
I almost would be inclined to give up the run a little bit to avoid the big chunk passes to Smith. Maybe you play Wallace more on early downs. Ohio State is great at getting big chunks from air. I think if you limit those you can make them play a different game than they're accustomed to and eat up clock. Ultimately for Iowa to hang around it's going to come down to how Iowa defends the red zone because it's likely Ohio State ends up well above 400 yards. I just don't think Iowa will be able to force them into many punts.

Offensively I agree Iowa has to have some type of running game.
 

HawksRule73

All-Conference
Jun 26, 2025
853
2,143
93
I think you’ll see a similar defensive gameplan as the Oregon game last year. Defend the run with 4/5 and drop 6/7 into coverage and keep everything in front of us. We might give up 250 yds rushing, but it’ll bleed clock and reduce possessions and limit big plays in the pass game. And hope like hell we can keep them to FGs instead of TDs. I think we’ll need to score 28 to win.
 

DuddyB

All-Conference
Jul 14, 2022
1,925
3,424
113
I think you’ll see a similar defensive gameplan as the Oregon game last year. Defend the run with 4/5 and drop 6/7 into coverage and keep everything in front of us. We might give up 250 yds rushing, but it’ll bleed clock and reduce possessions and limit big plays in the pass game. And hope like hell we can keep them to FGs instead of TDs. I think we’ll need to score 28 to win.
I think this is accurate. I’m hoping we take a few timely blitz attempts to get them off the field when we get a chance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Unclesammy

Hawksofly101789

Redshirt
Apr 19, 2016
14
13
3
Whatever plays Lester has left he’s gonna need to empty the bag in this game offensively for Iowa to keep it close. If Iowa holds Ohio State 24 or under there is a chance but that’s only if Iowa can not turn the ball over and have a rushing game. I wish I could be in IC for this one!!! Go Hawks!!
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Ranking the top 25 players Iowa WBB will face during the 2026-27 season
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Recruiting Tracking where Iowa's recruits play this week
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Ohio State's starters as recruits
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Iowa's starters as recruits
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Recruit Visits: Five-stars flood College Station, Starkville leads a loaded recruiting Saturday in week five