Does Anyone Else Find It Weird Re: Softball

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaleofTwoDogs

All-Conference
Jun 1, 2004
4,325
2,099
113
I think it's harder to hit a fastpitch softball than it is a baseball. You don't have as much reaction-time. In 1967, Eddie Feigner, a softball pitcher, struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Maury Wills, Harmon Killebrew and Roberto Clemente in succession.

Another mismatch of facts here. Eddie was a man, not a woman and he was called the "greatest softball pitcher who ever lived". He struck out over 145K batters in his long career with 238 perfect games. He led the The King & His Court team which was the softball version of the Harlem Globtrotters. His pitch was clocked at over 100 mph so it would be understandable for MLB players not to be use to the timing of the pitch. Since the exhibition game was for charity I wouldn't read to much into his performance against major league players.
 
Last edited:

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Charity or not it's still impressive that 6 consecutive hall of fame baseball players had minimum 18 swing opportunities to put a ball in play and they didn't.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
Another mismatch of facts here. Eddie was a man, now a woman and he was called the "greatest softball pitcher who ever lived". He struck out over 145K batters in his long career with 238 perfect games. He led the The King & His Court team which was the softball version of the Harlem Globtrotters. His pitch was clocked at over 100 mph so it would be understandable for MLB players not to be use to the timing of the pitch. Since the exhibition game was for charity I wouldn't read to much into his performance against major league players.

MLB players have said the low pitch angles and the greater rise appearance from it are impossible to hit without practicing vs it. Think of a side arm guy throwing over 100 mph from 43 ft away (or 46 ft).
They'd get used to it if they saw it regularly but they don't.
 

Dog316

Redshirt
Aug 21, 2012
404
2
18
They are certainly different sports. Bulldogs should be celebrating her accomplishment instead of stewing over the comparison. It is a bad look!
 

FQDawg

Senior
May 1, 2006
3,076
618
113
Another mismatch of facts here. Eddie was a man, now a woman and he was called the "greatest softball pitcher who ever lived". He struck out over 145K batters in his long career with 238 perfect games. He led the The King & His Court team which was the softball version of the Harlem Globtrotters. His pitch was clocked at over 100 mph so it would be understandable for MLB players not to be use to the timing of the pitch. Since the exhibition game was for charity I wouldn't read to much into his performance against major league players.

The first coach in MSU softball history - Kathy Arendsen - struck out Reggie Jackson three times in a row in 1981.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1981/0811/081131.html
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
I don't care enough. If Palmeiro doesn't care - why should anyone else?

The ones who are worried about this are worried because they see it as some political girls are equal to boys junk. I just don’t see it that way. Like I said earlier, I think it’s a silly comparison but certainly nothing to get upset about.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,867
6,682
113
They are certainly different sports. Bulldogs should be celebrating her accomplishment instead of stewing over the comparison. It is a bad look!

Offering up hot takes about being outraged and offended at something while calling other people snowflakes is obviously a bad look, but its what this place does so well.
Tearing down an accomplishment by hyperfocusing on how it was compared is part and parcel for SPS too.

Its all a bad look, but I think it is clear that very few here care about appearances.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
That they’re going nuts about this lady hitting more home runs than Raffy did during his time at State? I’m sure she’s a great student-athlete and she’s obviously a good player, but it’s been strange how much they’re promoting it.
Some of y’all get mad about the dumbest ****.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
There's a difference in being mad and thinking it's just plain stupid and silly.

Well some of these posters like Drebin sound big mad about this for some reason and are putting in the energy to show it, but maybe I should have said “Some of y’all complain about the dumbest ****.”
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
The last time I actually looked at it college softball had better TV ratings than college baseball. It's been a few years so maybe it's changed.

Somebody posted numbers on here a while ago showing the softball world series got better ratings than the baseball world series, although someone else claimed it was just a down year for baseball.

My question is whether SEC softball games outdraw SEC baseball games, which is the relevant comparison. I can see softball being strong nationally because so many schools don't care about baseball, but I would guess that conference baseball games don't get better ratings than SEC softball games by a decent margin. If that's the case, really sucks that they skip broadcasting so many baseball games in favor of softball.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,630
12,087
113
2019 baseball
The College World Series finals averaged 1.96 million viewers over the three games, matching last year's finals that saw Oregon State beat Arkansas for the national title.

2019 Softball
The two-game championship series (June 3-4) between the UCLA Bruins and Oklahoma Sooners averaged 1,574,000 viewers, up 13% year over year.

I’m too lazy to dig for regular season and tournament numbers.
 

Junction John

Redshirt
Oct 22, 2014
3,249
0
0
I don't know why you got downvoted, but that **** is as hilarious as it is true.

It also led me down a Chappelle rabbit hole at work this morning, which was fun. His "Juicy Smulliet" bit makes me roll every time.
 

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,240
6,446
113
I was more disturbed by the Delta State guy getting credit for a Mississippi Homerun record. Like that is comparable to what Raf and I faced.
 

Wizard.sixpack

Freshman
Sep 15, 2009
6,511
58
48
That they’re going nuts about this lady hitting more home runs than Raffy did during his time at State? I’m sure she’s a great student-athlete and she’s obviously a good player, but it’s been strange how much they’re promoting it.
I don't really have a problem with it. I get it.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
Well some of these posters like Drebin sound big mad about this for some reason and are putting in the energy to show it, but maybe I should have said “Some of y’all complain about the dumbest ****.”

Why are you singling me out? All I did was accurately point out that they are two different sports.

Are we ever going to start hyping up a basketball player's career FG percentage if it ever matches a placekicker's FG percentage? How many HRs would Raffy have hit if he were playing softball instead of baseball?
 

FlotownDawg

All-American
Aug 30, 2012
7,212
8,061
113
So baseball was a little more, but not higher enough to say “Never put softball on television! Nobody likes it!” I work with several guys who have said they prefer watching college softball on television to college baseball because it’s faster paced and more interesting.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
So baseball was a little more, but not higher enough to say “Never put softball on television! Nobody likes it!” I work with several guys who have said they prefer watching college softball on television to college baseball because it’s faster paced and more interesting.

I think 33% is more than a little more, but agree it doesn't say never put softball on television. Probably merits more priority for baseball than it's getting on espn and the SEC network.

Of course I'm not sure if championship series are the right comparison, as you presumably have a good number of fans that will turn in for a championship but aren't watching regular season games.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
I think it's harder to hit a fastpitch softball than it is a baseball. You don't have as much reaction-time. In 1967, Eddie Feigner, a softball pitcher, struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Maury Wills, Harmon Killebrew and Roberto Clemente in succession.

It's not necessarily harder, but it's completely different. Hitters rely a lot on past experience to tell them what a ball is going to do as it comes at them. Softballs obviously move differently, so your best softball pitchers will be able to strike out almost any major leaguer consistently, just because they're not going to be able to stop swinging where a lifetime of experience tells them to swing.

I am guessing it would be the same thing if good college softball players tried to hit against good high school baseball pitchers.
 

Bulldogg31

Redshirt
Dec 9, 2013
8,263
0
0
Good grief. A Mississippi State athlete does something amazing and some of our own fans can’t wait to raise their legs and take a piss on it. Awful people.
 

Junction John

Redshirt
Oct 22, 2014
3,249
0
0
The outfield wall is like 200'... so, I think the correct answer to your question is 'an absolute **** ton'.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
Good grief. A Mississippi State athlete does something amazing and some of our own fans can’t wait to raise their legs and take a piss on it. Awful people.

There are only two places on Earth to watch a middle-aged man **** on a 20-something female athlete... German porn and SPS.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
There are only two places on Earth to watch a middle-aged man **** on a 20-something female athlete... German porn and SPS.

What's ironic about this is that I don't really see anyone in this thread shitting on the softball player. So you and those like you are making something out of this that's not there.

It's not an affront to her, nor does it diminish her accomplishment in the least to point out that what she's doing and what Raffy did are two different things in two different sports.

Thou dost protest too much.
 
Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

All-Conference
Nov 4, 2015
4,802
4,908
113
**** on? Jeez. Sounds like you’re the one that’s big mad.

What’s stupid and thus being called out for the dumbness is the comparison of two different sports played by the two different genders. They are rightfully separate to protect both sports.

If they didn’t want to draw attention from this young lady Bulldog in what is a special and notable accomplishment that deserves memory and recognition, the comparison should not have been made. It reeks of wokeness and cancel culture, which revels in skewing reality.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
Oh, I see you looked for a way to lash out since you felt picked on by others for your shitass take.

I'm not lashing out. I'm pointing out an obvious fact that everyone in this board who doesn't have a ****** knows already.

I also know you waited to respond four hours after initially downvoting because you wanted to wait and hope I didn't see your reply. Typical.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,867
6,682
113
I'm not lashing out. I'm pointing out an obvious fact that everyone in this board who doesn't have a ****** knows already.

I also know you waited to respond four hours after initially downvoting because you wanted to wait and hope I didn't see your reply. Typical.

Which post of yours did I downvote and then wait 4 hours to respond to? List a post#, please.


You post a bunch of **** that can be viewed as dismissive and demeaning, all under the guise of 'accomplishments should be honored on their own and not compared', yet you never actually say anything positive about the accomplishment.
You say you are insulted by her record being compared to Palmeiro, you passive aggressively mention her potential salary and future financial contribution to MSU, you cheapen the accomplishment by asking how many HRs Raffy would have if he played softball, then you manage to claim nobody is shitting on the accomplishment.



Lets try it together- Wow, its really neat that Mia Davidson has hit so many HRs. She is very gifted at the plate.

Instead, you went full drebin in this thread.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
Which post of yours did I downvote and then wait 4 hours to respond to? List a post#, please.


You post a bunch of **** that can be viewed as dismissive and demeaning, all under the guise of 'accomplishments should be honored on their own and not compared', yet you never actually say anything positive about the accomplishment.
You say you are insulted by her record being compared to Palmeiro, you passive aggressively mention her potential salary and future financial contribution to MSU, you cheapen the accomplishment by asking how many HRs Raffy would have if he played softball, then you manage to claim nobody is shitting on the accomplishment.



Lets try it together- Wow, its really neat that Mia Davidson has hit so many HRs. She is very gifted at the plate.

Instead, you went full drebin in this thread.

When you find where I said anything to ostracize her or her accomplishment, you can talk ****. Until then, by all means, keep being a dishonest POS. That's what you are, and it's the substance of every post you make. When you and your buddies aren't off blowing each other, you're here, being dishonest pieces of ****.

 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,867
6,682
113
When you find where I said anything to ostracize her or her accomplishment, you can talk ****. Until then, by all means, keep being a dishonest POS. That's what you are, and it's the substance of every post you make. When you and your buddies aren't off blowing each other, you're here, being dishonest pieces of ****.

Ostracize is an odd term to decide to use.
You never posted comments that dismiss her accomplishment, you made a passive aggressive comment about what she will earn and donate, but you didnt(and still havent) said any sort of congratulatory words.

I am not being dishonest here- you can literally just read the thread to see I am correct.

Again too- what specific post did I downvote and then wait 4 hours to respond to?
 

DoggieDaddy13

All-Conference
Dec 23, 2017
3,925
2,317
113
I really don't think they meant it as a straight up comparison to Raf. It reads to me as if they are offering context to show what a great thing she did in HER sport.

Do you really think they were suggesting that her accomplishment would translate to baseball? Seriously?

Some of you fellas have some mighty sensitive minora.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
**** on? Jeez. Sounds like you’re the one that’s big mad.

What’s stupid and thus being called out for the dumbness is the comparison of two different sports played by the two different genders. They are rightfully separate to protect both sports.

If they didn’t want to draw attention from this young lady Bulldog in what is a special and notable accomplishment that deserves memory and recognition, the comparison should not have been made. It reeks of wokeness and cancel culture, which revels in skewing reality.

This is exactly right.

Her softball HR numbers are awesome, and she should be recognized and congratulated for her accomplishments.

But it's silly/stupid to draw any comparison to her softball HR numbers and Raffy's baseball HR numbers.

I think most everyone recognizes that.
 

DoggieDaddy13

All-Conference
Dec 23, 2017
3,925
2,317
113
Again, guys, not a straight up comparison... it's context.

And, for the sake of context, what SHE did in HER sport in terms of homeruns is greater than what Raffy did in HIS sport. In terms of homeruns ONLY as a Bulldog. IN COLLEGE.

She hasn't gotten them to a SOFTball Championship tournament, world series, or whatever college softballers call it. And she will NEVER play in the MLB. So relax.

The failing and flailing testosterone on this thread is hilarious.
 

00Dawg

Senior
Nov 10, 2009
3,308
570
93
Neither sport can hit the other well.

I thought this would be common knowledge, but apparently not. It's mostly about the release point, arcs, and speed, along with how your body has adjusted through hundreds and thousands of swings.
Same principle allowed that MLB pitcher to recently get strikeouts at speeds 11 and 12 year-olds are hitting every day.
A baseball player can't hit a fastpitch softball well. A softball player can't hit a baseball well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four