Does Anyone Else Find It Weird Re: Softball

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcherSPS

Junior
Aug 22, 2012
3,637
244
63
That they’re going nuts about this lady hitting more home runs than Raffy did during his time at State? I’m sure she’s a great student-athlete and she’s obviously a good player, but it’s been strange how much they’re promoting it.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,284
113
That they’re going nuts about this lady hitting more home runs than Raffy did during his time at State? I’m sure she’s a great student-athlete and she’s obviously a good player, but it’s been strange how much they’re promoting it.

In the age we live, it's not weird at all. In fact, it's not all that surprising.

But it is insulting.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
It's terrible. Can't wait til they tell us about our kicker having a higher FG percentage than Jeff Malone. It's almost insulting to Raffy.
 
Last edited:

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,663
12,356
113
Who is "they're". I follow the usual scribes and get emails from athletic department and haven't seen anything about it, and not that I cared anyway
 

T-TownDawgg

All-Conference
Nov 4, 2015
4,802
4,905
113
I wonder how many bombs Raffy would have if they pitched him underhand and centerfield was 225.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,284
113
I wonder how many bombs Raffy would have if they pitched him underhand and centerfield was 225.

The good news is we should be able to expect her to give back and donate for a multi-million dollar multi-sport facility that bears her name toward the end of her lucrative pro career.
 

QuaoarsKing

All-Conference
Mar 11, 2008
6,287
3,042
113
I don't think they're trying to equate their abilities or anything, just giving a familiar reference point so MSU fans who don't really follow softball know we have an all-time legend on the team right now.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,284
113
I don't think they're trying to equate their abilities or anything, just giving a familiar reference point so MSU fans who don't really follow softball know we have an all-time legend on the team right now.


So, compare it to softball records, not baseball records. They're completely different sports.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
In the age we live, it's not weird at all. In fact, it's not all that surprising.

But it is insulting.
Careful, you won't only have the typical wokeknights after you, you'll also have the thin-skinned conservative girl dads too...
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
That they’re going nuts about this lady hitting more home runs than Raffy did during his time at State? I’m sure she’s a great student-athlete and she’s obviously a good player, but it’s been strange how much they’re promoting it.
Dude you're the typical wokeknight on this board. South Carolina (or somebody yesterday) had 'equality' written on their field. SEC Now is intentionally and blatantly trying to show just as much or more softball than baseball, Peter Burns even said as much in a slip-up, "We'll take you through all the baseball....and errr, softball, from the day's action" last night. Just stop.

It's mother's day, leave the concern trolling for the weekdays.
 
Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

All-Conference
Mar 11, 2008
6,287
3,042
113
So, compare it to softball records, not baseball records. They're completely different sports.

Yeah, I know. There are circumstances that make the comparison not really work in both directions.

I'm just not seeing the sinister "in this day and age..." spin people are putting on it. The vast majority of MSU fans don't have any context for softball records. I know she's one of the best we've had in a while, but is she softball's version of Wes Rea (great player), Brent Rooker (outstanding player), or Rafael Palmeiro (all-time legend)? I'm never going to know from her softball stats alone. Comparing her to familiar baseball players provides some context.

Now is career home run count the best way to do that? Probably not for reasons already stated, but do they even calculate college baseball WAR, much less college softball WAR?
 

FlotownDawg

All-American
Aug 30, 2012
7,210
8,058
113
She is an all-time great home run hitter. She is tied for second in softball home runs in SEC history. Only three behind the all time SEC home run record. That’s what should be promoted. Softball and baseball are completely different sports, so to compare home run records in those two sports is silly. But obviously the university is the one promoting it, because Raffy had filmed a congratulations video they was played on the big screen between innings after she hit the homer.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,858
11,229
113
Y’all are looking for something to be offended about. It’s just PR to put on social media. Raffy even congratulated her when she tied his record. Anyone knows the difference between softball and baseball HR records. It’s a heck of an accomplishment for the young lady, why belittle it? Oh, I forgot, we eat our own.
 
Aug 21, 2015
482
0
16
Y’all are looking for something to be offended about. It’s just PR to put on social media. Raffy even congratulated her when she tied his record. Anyone knows the difference between softball and baseball HR records. It’s a heck of an accomplishment for the young lady, why belittle it? Oh, I forgot, we eat our own.

I don’t know what the opposite of woke is but this place is full of them.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
That they’re going nuts about this lady hitting more home runs than Raffy did during his time at State? I’m sure she’s a great student-athlete and she’s obviously a good player, but it’s been strange how much they’re promoting it.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

This is the first I've heard of it.

I guess I've somehow missed the promotions.

Also, softball is a different sport than baseball.

I'm not sure the home run numbers of one is legitimately comparable to the homerun numbers of the other.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
She is an all-time great home run hitter. She is tied for second in softball home runs in SEC history. Only three behind the all time SEC home run record. That’s what should be promoted.

This is exactly right.

100% factual, with zero political spin.

We all can celebrate her success in softball without the total BS comparisons to Raffy's HR numbers in baseball.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
I really think the softball team needs to do the bowling ball and pins celebration at home plate every time she goes deep... Failure to do so is a real missed opportunity.

View attachment 20209
 
Last edited:

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
No we shall use this particular Sunday to talk abt how girls aren’t equal to guys when it come to athletics.
 

Bill Shankly

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2020
2,095
0
0
Dude you're the typical wokeknight on this board. South Carolina (or somebody yesterday) had 'equality' written on their field. SEC Now is intentionally and blatantly trying to show just as much or more softball than baseball, Peter Burns even said as much in a slip-up, "We'll take you through all the baseball....and errr, softball, from the day's action" last night. Just stop.

It's mother's day, leave the concern trolling for the weekdays.

The last time I actually looked at it college softball had better TV ratings than college baseball. It's been a few years so maybe it's changed.
 

Dawgpile

Senior
May 23, 2006
2,411
911
113
For what it's worth, it's been stated that the differences in distance from the pitcher's mound vs the softball circle mean .44 second reaction time vs .35.

Read into that what you will....
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,355
113
I don’t know what the opposite of woke is but this place is full of them.

And it’s always funny to me because the hardcore anti woke crowd on here is usually just as offended, just offended about the opposite thing.

This post is a great example. It started because the op was triggered about a softball player being compared to something raffy did.

And just for the record, the comparison is silly and everyone knows that but the point was to get people to talk about it and it worked.
 

msstate7

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2008
10,388
10
38
For what it's worth, it's been stated that the differences in distance from the pitcher's mound vs the softball circle mean .44 second reaction time vs .35.

Read into that what you will....

How many different type of pitches are there in fast pitch softball? I only watch the sport waiting on it to end for baseball
 

Dawg_4_lifes

Redshirt
Sep 17, 2016
922
0
0
Y’all are looking for something to be offended about. It’s just PR to put on social media. Raffy even congratulated her when she tied his record. Anyone knows the difference between softball and baseball HR records. It’s a heck of an accomplishment for the young lady, why belittle it? Oh, I forgot, we eat our own.

This is why we can’t have nice things.
 
Sep 1, 2011
2,522
224
63
So, compare it to softball records, not baseball records. They're completely different sports.
They are obviously trying to equate women's softball and men's baseball, otherwise ESPN would not have a former softball player as an analyst for MLB games. They are trying to equate it and it is obvious. One thing that separates the BS though is the pros, and what people will pay money to see.
 
Last edited:

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
I have been told they can put different spins on them than in baseball. Resulting in more movement and some control over if the ball goes up or down off the bat.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
But can a girl pitcher at the top of her league fair better against the same level league And tope male hitters in that league?

And send the best female ncaa softball hitters and let them face the top male ncaa pitchers.

It’s not equivalent.

Hell of an accomplishment for sure. And promote it. Promote it with palmerio if that gives good results for marketing. BUT DONT PRETEND ITS EQUIBALENT BC ITS NOT.
 

Len2003

Redshirt
May 13, 2018
1,103
0
36
How many different type of pitches are there in fast pitch softball? I only watch the sport waiting on it to end for baseball

Quite a few. It's pretty complicated when you get into the types of pitches. Rise, drop, screwball, curve, change up, fastball. Those are the ones I know if.
 

QuadrupleOption

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2012
1,282
1,404
93
That they’re going nuts about this lady hitting more home runs than Raffy did during his time at State? I’m sure she’s a great student-athlete and she’s obviously a good player, but it’s been strange how much they’re promoting it.

I don't think they're going nuts exactly. I saw the tweet and rolled my eyes a *little*, but it IS a big accomplishment. Why not compare it to the accomplishments of one of the greatest baseball players we've ever had?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window
  5. 05 Maroon and White Fluff Bothwell finds a way in impact performance for Mississippi State