CS8 Predictions Week 6

rocketnation

All-Conference
Aug 12, 2017
1,618
2,528
113
Fall is here and the Friday highs in Springfield and Quincy should only be in the low 70s.

MacArthur is off this week after not getting a replacement opponent for Eisenhower. The forfeit will improve their record to 5-1.

Playoff Status
In-Rochester, SHG, Chatham, Jacksonville, MacArthur, and QND.
Likely Out- Lanphier. Probably will end up either 0-9 or 1-8.
Flip a Coin- U High and Lincoln. U High's playoff hopes hinge on winning Week 9 against Springfield and getting in at 2-7 with a high number of opponent wins (currently the highest in the CS8 at 29). If Lincoln wins against Lanphier and Southeast Weeks 8 and 9, they would be 3-6. If they beat one of those teams, a 2-7 record may not be good enough to qualify.
A Bit Better than Even- Springfield and Southeast. Springfield still has a chance at 4 wins. If they lose to QND Week 7, they have a home game Week 9 against U High that could be their 3rd win. Southeast is set to get the Eisenhower forfeit Week 8 and then face Lincoln Week 9 at home. A win against the Railers would get them to 3-6.

Lincoln (1-4) at U High (0-5)
It's been a rough season so far for the Pioneers, who have been a playoff team the previous three years. The last two games have provided some small signs of improvement. In Week 4, they scored a season high 36 points against Galesburg. Last week, after previously giving up an average of 54 ppg, they held MacArthur to 28 and were only losing 14-6 going into the 4th Quarter. The Railers have struggled since their Week 1 win over Peoria Manual. U High 35 Lincoln 7. Massey: U High 46-14.

Springfield (1-4) at Southeast (1-4)
After having only scored 24 points coming into the game, Springfield got their 1st win last week by beating Lanphier 45-8. Southeast also beat Lanphier 26-20 in OT Week 4. Other than that win, the Spartans have lost their other games by at least 25 points. Springfield 38 Southeast 12. Massey: Springfield 47-12.

Lanphier (0-5) at Jacksonville (4-1)
This should be a good bounce back game for the Crimsons after losing to SHG last week. Jacksonville 47 Lanphier 8. Massey: Jacksonville 49-7.

SHG (4-1) at QND (3-2)
These teams battled twice last year, with the Cyclones coming out on top both times by margins of 9 and 16 points. Last week, the Cyclones made a statement in their first home game of the year by beating previously undefeated Jacksonville 55-14. QND lost to Jacksonville 35-20 in Week 4, though they led 20-7 at half. SHG 44 QND 14. Massey: SHG 41-13.

Rochester (5-0) at Chatham (4-1)
The game of the week. This has been marked on the Rocket's calendar since Chatham came from behind and won 43-42 in OT last year at Rochester. After losing Week 1 to 6A ranked Normal West, Chatham has won 4 straight, including a running clock 49-20 win over Rock Island last week. They are averaging 41 ppg. Rochester sat entirely or only briefly played numerous starters last week against Lincoln. As with the MacArthur game Week 4, the Rockets would like to have a fast start to take the home crowd out of the game. Rochester 45 Chatham 19. Massey: Rochester 42-27.
 
Aug 7, 2024
1,032
652
113
Ya know... Looking at the CS8 now... Lincoln, Lanphier, SE, Ike are dragging the conference down... If the truth be told, none of these teams help the others prepare for the playoffs... Maybe its time to do something like Roamin posted... See if others from The Big 12 mainly, Bloomington, Normal and Normal West along with Mahomet and Mt. Zion from the Apollo... Pekin, Washington, Morton from the Mid-Illini...Would be willing to join. I would like to have 6 conference games and 3 non-con games.... Being able to schedule tougher teams will help greatly for the playoffs...

But sure enough something like this occurs then the "District" folks will be up in arms... Districts wouldn't help the big 4 from the CS8 but...

Chatham
UHigh
QND*
Jacksonville*
SHG
Rochester
Mt Zion
Mahomet
Bloomington
Normal
Normal West
Pekin
Dunlap
Washington

* Denotes schools that may not fair well in a new conference...
Group A:
Chatham
Normal
Normal West
Washington
Pekin
Dunlap
Bloomington


Group B:
Rochester
SHG
Mahomet
Mt Zion
UHigh
Jacksonville
QND

This leaves 3 open dates to schedule some good competition... Or crossovers... I imagine Chatham will want SHG/Rochester on their yearly schedule... leaving them 1 Non-con game. Could even drop two teams which gives another non-con game...
 
Jul 3, 2025
577
554
93
Ya know... Looking at the CS8 now... Lincoln, Lanphier, SE, Ike are dragging the conference down... If the truth be told, none of these teams help the others prepare for the playoffs... Maybe its time to do something like Roamin posted... See if others from The Big 12 mainly, Bloomington, Normal and Normal West along with Mahomet and Mt. Zion from the Apollo... Pekin, Washington, Morton from the Mid-Illini...Would be willing to join. I would like to have 6 conference games and 3 non-con games.... Being able to schedule tougher teams will help greatly for the playoffs...

But sure enough something like this occurs then the "District" folks will be up in arms... Districts wouldn't help the big 4 from the CS8 but...

Chatham
UHigh
QND*
Jacksonville*
SHG
Rochester
Mt Zion
Mahomet
Bloomington
Normal
Normal West
Pekin
Dunlap
Washington

* Denotes schools that may not fair well in a new conference...
Group A:
Chatham
Normal
Normal West
Washington
Pekin
Dunlap
Bloomington


Group B:
Rochester
SHG
Mahomet
Mt Zion
UHigh
Jacksonville
QND

This leaves 3 open dates to schedule some good competition... Or crossovers... I imagine Chatham will want SHG/Rochester on their yearly schedule... leaving them 1 Non-con game. Could even drop two teams which gives another non-con game...
If you're going to include the Big 12, and any Peoria area schools... then PND and Metamora would be must see games, required viewing for one of the CS8 power-3 contingent. 😁 Man, remember when Richwoods was actually good at football... Remember Woodruff? They used to battle too... Then they all went to Peoria for Thornton, who I liked, but turned out to be cheating and cooking the numbers a bit... Oh well...Yeah Dunlap, Metamora, Washington, PND would be my picks from that market. Normal, Normal West, Mahomet and BCC from the Champaign market, although BCC may not want that smoke any more, they've been living in the smaller classes for a while now. MTZ, Mac, and Maroa for the Decatur Market. Include Williamsville in the Springfield market, they can compete or be competitive most years, I'd put money on it.

I had always wished QND, BMD, BCC, St. T and PND would all get together and find a way to create something, conference-wise... I'd include SHG but we all know they live above the rest of us, both physically and in their minds. Could have been fun if they found a couple pubs that didn't spend their time whining about private schools all the time to join them.
 
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2025
577
554
93
I think I'll be on the road to see some small ball this week... Can't imagine QND/SHG will even be worth the price of admission, let alone the effort to drive there from my parents house. Was already going to be in Quincy anyways though, then realized CPC is playing at Brown County same night and a couple buddies said they were headed there. Off to 'shine country in the Dot Foods backwoods we go! I'll keep an eye on QND/SHG from the stream, or radio, bc I'm not sure 5G exists yet in Mt. Sterling. Anyways, I prob won't post QND score, just assume it's 47-0 SHG at half, final score 56-0. Probably won't be far off. :ROFLMAO: Safe travels everyone. Good luck Rockets @ Glenwood, should stay home to see that one!
 

rocketnation

All-Conference
Aug 12, 2017
1,618
2,528
113
If you're going to include the Big 12, and any Peoria area schools... then PND and Metamora would be must see games, required viewing for one of the CS8 power-3 contingent. 😁 Man, remember when Richwoods was actually good at football... Remember Woodruff? They used to battle too... Then they all went to Peoria for Thornton, who I liked, but turned out to be cheating and cooking the numbers a bit... Oh well...Yeah Dunlap, Metamora, Washington, PND would be my picks from that market. Normal, Normal West, Mahomet and BCC from the Champaign market, although BCC may not want that smoke any more, they've been living in the smaller classes for a while now. MTZ, Mac, and Maroa for the Decatur Market. Include Williamsville in the Springfield market, they can compete or be competitive most years, I'd put money on it.
I can definitely see a scenario where Eisenhower doesn't field a varsity team next year. Lincoln has left the conference once before and has struggled to be competitive, except for in '23, since returning. They are both in the East Division.

In the West Division, both Lanphier and Southeast only dressed 30-35 players for their game Week 4. That's about the minimum in my opinion you need to have available to play regularly against 4a-6a teams.

There are teams within 90 minutes or so of the area that would be a better fit from a competition standpoint but haven't heard of anyone of that caliber aggressively trying to get admitted to the conference.
 
Jul 3, 2025
577
554
93
I can definitely see a scenario where Eisenhower doesn't field a varsity team next year. Lincoln has left the conference once before and has struggled to be competitive, except for in '23, since returning. They are both in the East Division.

In the West Division, both Lanphier and Southeast only dressed 30-35 players for their game Week 4. That's about the minimum in my opinion you need to have available to play regularly against 4a-6a teams.

There are teams within 90 minutes or so of the area that would be a better fit from a competition standpoint but haven't heard of anyone of that caliber aggressively trying to get admitted to the conference.
Oh I agree... it's definitely worth keeping in mind moving forward. Given the current landscape you've provided of course. Are we at all concerned U-High would suffer the same and/or leave on their own?

Humble brag, they aren't all as crazy as QND... 😁

Legit a joke, we were desperate, most others yet are not.. but the idea of purposely scheduling Glenwood, SHG, and Rochester, for many may seem daunting. I REALLY would hope the first two phone calls were to MTZ and Mahomet if that day ever came with IKE and Lincoln gone. Especially when 5 was, and could be again, the number to reach. 3 almost certain losses a year puts you in a tough must win spot for the remaining 6 games.

I'm curious too, at what point the WB6 has to change their strategy... Could Quincy become an option? I know QND got rid of the 7A dlue bevils but I doubt they'd fuss much if they were to be included in a conference setup. Quincy v. SHG, Glenwood, Rochester would be fun some years. Hypotheticals are always fun though!

I think Peoria may be a stretch for the remaining contingent in the CS8, but I'm sure the big 3 and QND would sign on. Heck if they signed on for QND they almost have to on precedence alone. But then it's who, out of that market... I'm not sure I could see Peoria, Manual, Richwoods, PND ever leaving the Big 12 setup without being forced. In the same breathe I don't personally see Bloomington, Normal, Normal West, Centennial, and Champ Central parting ways with each other. That's a longstanding group, add Danville and Urbana to that list too... lot of history there.

Idk... It'll be interesting if it comes to that... If/when it does, could be a cool opportunity for the CS8 to flip the normal script of the CIL football landscape... That said, Idk how much of a say QND would have in this... or if they'd make the cut to even be included if a drastic change like I mentioned occurred. We love our CS8 slot, but the Sangamo or the WB6 is where I've always thought QND belonged... and geographically speaking we're a longshot also, just like in games with 4-6A competition. I didn't actually think the CS8 would ever consider us, most of us in Quincy didn't if we're being honest... and yes, we also thought we were crazy taking on the challenge when the offer arrived... I remember that conversation with Jack Cornell... At the end of the day we needed scheduling stability, and the challenge that was playing Jax and SHG guaranteed, and Rochester/Glenwood/Mac outside of that seemed just fun and good prep for the playoffs at that point.

All just random musings right now though... the future we're speaking of does seem imminent as this year unfolds, however.
 

rocketnation

All-Conference
Aug 12, 2017
1,618
2,528
113
Oh I agree... it's definitely worth keeping in mind moving forward. Given the current landscape you've provided of course. Are we at all concerned U-High would suffer the same and/or leave on their own?

Humble brag, they aren't all as crazy as QND... 😁

Legit a joke, we were desperate, most others yet are not.. but the idea of purposely scheduling Glenwood, SHG, and Rochester, for many may seem daunting. I REALLY would hope the first two phone calls were to MTZ and Mahomet if that day ever came with IKE and Lincoln gone. Especially when 5 was, and could be again, the number to reach. 3 almost certain losses a year puts you in a tough must win spot for the remaining 6 games.

I'm curious too, at what point the WB6 has to change their strategy... Could Quincy become an option? I know QND got rid of the 7A dlue bevils but I doubt they'd fuss much if they were to be included in a conference setup. Quincy v. SHG, Glenwood, Rochester would be fun some years. Hypotheticals are always fun though!

I think Peoria may be a stretch for the remaining contingent in the CS8, but I'm sure the big 3 and QND would sign on. Heck if they signed on for QND they almost have to on precedence alone. But then it's who, out of that market... I'm not sure I could see Peoria, Manual, Richwoods, PND ever leaving the Big 12 setup without being forced. In the same breathe I don't personally see Bloomington, Normal, Normal West, Centennial, and Champ Central parting ways with each other. That's a longstanding group, add Danville and Urbana to that list too... lot of history there.

Idk... It'll be interesting if it comes to that... If/when it does, could be a cool opportunity for the CS8 to flip the normal script of the CIL football landscape... That said, Idk how much of a say QND would have in this... or if they'd make the cut to even be included if a drastic change like I mentioned occurred. We love our CS8 slot, but the Sangamo or the WB6 is where I've always thought QND belonged... and geographically speaking we're a longshot also, just like in games with 4-6A competition. I didn't actually think the CS8 would ever consider us, most of us in Quincy didn't if we're being honest... and yes, we also thought we were crazy taking on the challenge when the offer arrived... I remember that conversation with Jack Cornell... At the end of the day we needed scheduling stability, and the challenge that was playing Jax and SHG guaranteed, and Rochester/Glenwood/Mac outside of that seemed just fun and good prep for the playoffs at that point.

All just random musings right now though... the future we're speaking of does seem imminent as this year unfolds, however.
The Pioneers are solid in most sports and looked like they were improving in football recently as well. They almost knocked off Rochester in '24, beat Chatham that year, and lost to Mt Zion by 1 score in the 4a semis. They seemed capable of competing with the top tier of the conference. Last year, they took a step back but still made the 5a playoffs. This year, U High is still looking for their 1st win Week 6, though they have played a difficult schedule and passed on getting a Week 4 forfeit win over Eisenhower.
 
Aug 7, 2024
1,032
652
113
If you're going to include the Big 12, and any Peoria area schools... then PND and Metamora would be must see games, required viewing for one of the CS8 power-3 contingent. 😁 Man, remember when Richwoods was actually good at football... Remember Woodruff? They used to battle too... Then they all went to Peoria for Thornton, who I liked, but turned out to be cheating and cooking the numbers a bit... Oh well...Yeah Dunlap, Metamora, Washington, PND would be my picks from that market. Normal, Normal West, Mahomet and BCC from the Champaign market, although BCC may not want that smoke any more, they've been living in the smaller classes for a while now. MTZ, Mac, and Maroa for the Decatur Market. Include Williamsville in the Springfield market, they can compete or be competitive most years, I'd put money on it.

I had always wished QND, BMD, BCC, St. T and PND would all get together and find a way to create something, conference-wise... I'd include SHG but we all know they live above the rest of us, both physically and in their minds. Could have been fun if they found a couple pubs that didn't spend their time whining about private schools all the time to join them.
Good post! Yes Richwoods is getting back to where they should be... Woodruff was a good program... Dec Lakeview was a good program...

PND for sure... Richwoods if they were better on a yearly basis...

I would have Williamsville, Maroa, BCC, Springfield, Southeast, Lanphier, Jacksonville, DMac, Taylorville, Lincoln, Decatur St. T, and Richwoods to form a new Mid-State or Capitol conference...

I think the decatur pubs consolidate making it a school with 2K+ and too large for all the above mentioned teams... A new school, should the Dec Pubs consolidate would draw some athletes away from Maroa. How many would have to be seen but I would build on the north side of Decatur should a new school be considered...
 
Aug 7, 2024
1,032
652
113
I think I'll be on the road to see some small ball this week... Can't imagine QND/SHG will even be worth the price of admission, let alone the effort to drive there from my parents house. Was already going to be in Quincy anyways though, then realized CPC is playing at Brown County same night and a couple buddies said they were headed there. Off to 'shine country in the Dot Foods backwoods we go! I'll keep an eye on QND/SHG from the stream, or radio, bc I'm not sure 5G exists yet in Mt. Sterling. Anyways, I prob won't post QND score, just assume it's 47-0 SHG at half, final score 56-0. Probably won't be far off. :ROFLMAO: Safe travels everyone. Good luck Rockets @ Glenwood, should stay home to see that one!
I would go to the CPC/Brown County game... It may turn out being an ugly loss for CPC but it should be a good game most of the way...
 
  • Like
Reactions: rocketnation
Aug 7, 2024
1,032
652
113
Oh I agree... it's definitely worth keeping in mind moving forward. Given the current landscape you've provided of course. Are we at all concerned U-High would suffer the same and/or leave on their own?

Humble brag, they aren't all as crazy as QND... 😁

Legit a joke, we were desperate, most others yet are not.. but the idea of purposely scheduling Glenwood, SHG, and Rochester, for many may seem daunting. I REALLY would hope the first two phone calls were to MTZ and Mahomet if that day ever came with IKE and Lincoln gone. Especially when 5 was, and could be again, the number to reach. 3 almost certain losses a year puts you in a tough must win spot for the remaining 6 games.

I'm curious too, at what point the WB6 has to change their strategy... Could Quincy become an option? I know QND got rid of the 7A dlue bevils but I doubt they'd fuss much if they were to be included in a conference setup. Quincy v. SHG, Glenwood, Rochester would be fun some years. Hypotheticals are always fun though!

I think Peoria may be a stretch for the remaining contingent in the CS8, but I'm sure the big 3 and QND would sign on. Heck if they signed on for QND they almost have to on precedence alone. But then it's who, out of that market... I'm not sure I could see Peoria, Manual, Richwoods, PND ever leaving the Big 12 setup without being forced. In the same breathe I don't personally see Bloomington, Normal, Normal West, Centennial, and Champ Central parting ways with each other. That's a longstanding group, add Danville and Urbana to that list too... lot of history there.

Idk... It'll be interesting if it comes to that... If/when it does, could be a cool opportunity for the CS8 to flip the normal script of the CIL football landscape... That said, Idk how much of a say QND would have in this... or if they'd make the cut to even be included if a drastic change like I mentioned occurred. We love our CS8 slot, but the Sangamo or the WB6 is where I've always thought QND belonged... and geographically speaking we're a longshot also, just like in games with 4-6A competition. I didn't actually think the CS8 would ever consider us, most of us in Quincy didn't if we're being honest... and yes, we also thought we were crazy taking on the challenge when the offer arrived... I remember that conversation with Jack Cornell... At the end of the day we needed scheduling stability, and the challenge that was playing Jax and SHG guaranteed, and Rochester/Glenwood/Mac outside of that seemed just fun and good prep for the playoffs at that point.

All just random musings right now though... the future we're speaking of does seem imminent as this year unfolds, however.
You and Rocket are vibing on the new conference thing... Good talks for sure... About history and rivalries... Those don't matter much in America... Look at the conferences in college... What a joke. Notre Dame/USC ending a rivalry so ND can continue its cupcake scheduling... Sad......
 
  • Like
Reactions: FB1976

rocketnation

All-Conference
Aug 12, 2017
1,618
2,528
113
SJR Staff Predictions
Rochester 40 Chatham 20
SHG 49 QND 21
U High 35 Lincoln 6
Jacksonville 49 Lanphier 0
Springfield 50 Southeast 13

South County Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Rochester 42 Chatham 27
SHG 31 QND 16
U High 27 Lincoln 14
Jacksonville 68 Lanphier 6
Springfield 40 Southeast 13
 
  • Like
Reactions: FishingandFootball
Aug 7, 2024
1,032
652
113
SJR Staff Predictions
Rochester 40 Chatham 20
SHG 49 QND 21
U High 35 Lincoln 6
Jacksonville 49 Lanphier 0
Springfield 50 Southeast 13

South County Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Rochester 42 Chatham 27
SHG 31 QND 16
U High 27 Lincoln 14
Jacksonville 68 Lanphier 6
Springfield 40 Southeast 13
I don't see Chatham putting up 20 points against the Rockets... Wait... if it's
karen black horror GIF by absurdnoise
50-0 and DL pulls the varsity then maybe...
 
Jul 3, 2025
577
554
93
SJR Staff Predictions
Rochester 40 Chatham 20
SHG 49 QND 21
U High 35 Lincoln 6
Jacksonville 49 Lanphier 0
Springfield 50 Southeast 13

South County Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Rochester 42 Chatham 27
SHG 31 QND 16
U High 27 Lincoln 14
Jacksonville 68 Lanphier 6
Springfield 40 Southeast 13
I'm oddly serious... Jax could probably score 80+ on Lanphier with that rushing attack. What I saw from Lanphier was not good, especially up front defensively. Lions got pushed around by QND, far and away the smallest and maybe most inconsistent O-line the CS8 has ever seen. You'll understand after the 1st quarter tomorrow night what I mean, wink wink.

Also, South county on some D.A.R.E. drugs... I don't think Chatham scores more than twice on that defense the more I look and think about it. QND ain't sniffing the endzone without SHG's help, let alone twice with two 2P conversions. And I'd be shocked if U-High/Lincoln stays close, but toilet bowl games tend to go weirdly, so maybe...
 

rocketnation

All-Conference
Aug 12, 2017
1,618
2,528
113
@rocketnation when was the last time mr. pick'em chose the rockets over chatham. he's always been a huge homer for chatham.
True.

I was going to guess '23 when the Rockets were loaded and Chatham was starting lots of Sophomores.

After some digging, he actually picked Rochester to win in '24 28-24. The Titans won in dominating fashion 45-17.
 
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2024
1,032
652
113
Rockets TD Pass.... 21-7 2:12 1Q

Im going to watch small school ball now...... This will get out of control fast...
 
Jul 3, 2025
577
554
93
QND 0
SHG 6
HALF

Scratch your heads right along with me...

Standing here watching a very entertaining back and forth 1A game and a guy who knows I'm a Raider walked by and said 6-0 SHG at half. Checked the X-sphere to make sure he wasn't joshing me... I hadn't even wanted tonlook to be honest. SHG saving the offensive secrets for Lanphier I guess... or just playing nice to baby bro...

A joke of course, lot of game left and QND has proven capable of imploding in 2nd half on more than one occasion this year. Nonetheless, the alum/fan in me says "effing get em boys!"

P.s. Brown County Dot Foods Stinger Insects 24-19 CPC Black In All-white Community Panthers.
 

Travelin Fan

Junior
Jul 31, 2024
163
230
43
Rochester leads 51-14 at half. Chatham has zero answers on defense.

signing out from Glenwood.
 

cornerrat#1

Senior
Jul 1, 2025
759
789
93
All.... Just back from the game. An outstanding game plan from the Raiders. They figured out the Cyclone defense from film rather quickly. QND offense was impressive. A tough turnover as they looked to score late in the first half to take the lead hurt. Good rb's gaining yardage and and a smart short passing game had QND going up and down the field but when they got close just couldn't punch it in for a td.

A great time by the rodent visiting Quincy. A quick stop at the Scoreboard early for a refreshment (s) after the long drive. Had to use the facilities and thought it was pretty cool (being a Bears fan) looking down at the old style stand up floor urinal around the ring at the bottom two stickers one with the Vikings and the other with Packers.

Another stop at the party house hanging out for a bit talking HS football was fun as well with Raider fans. A groundhog eating walnuts on the steps on the other side of the corner house which I was parked in front of sealed the deal for me.

On to week seven .... Ratsy
 

cornerrat#1

Senior
Jul 1, 2025
759
789
93
All.... Lousy weather predicted at the moment in the Springfield area for week seven Friday night games. It changed a bit from heavy rain Thursday and Friday throughout the day with a possibe stop in the early afternoon. Thank the heavens for artificial turf. Ratsy
 
  • Like
Reactions: FB1976
Edgy Tim

Latest

  1. 01 Edgy Tim Football Week 8 EDGYTIM Chicagoland Top 30
  2. 02 Edgy Tim Football Video: Loyola 38 St. Ignatius 7
  3. 03 On3 Football Northwestern's new era: Inside the first game at New Ryan Field
  4. 04 Rivals Football Recruiting Rivals Riser: Illinois WR commit Bennett Konkey earns his fourth star
  5. 05 CaneSport football recruiting Power ranking the five best Miami recruits I saw on the road in September