UNC Press Release
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Following two seasons as an assistant coach with North Carolina women’s basketball, head coach Courtney Banghart has promoted Cory McNeill to the Tar Heels’ newest associate head coach.
“Cory brings enthusiasm, professionalism, and a tireless work ethic to this program every day. He is a players’ coach, teaching and celebrating our players every step of the way,” said Banghart. “He is a relationship builder in the recruiting space and such a valued member of the entire Carolina community. My staff and I are grateful to have him on our sideline and know that we will continue to accomplish great things with his passion and leadership.”
McNeill has been instrumental in the development of Carolina’s guards throughout his two seasons in Chapel Hill, assisting the Tar Heels in back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances. Under his tutelage, Reniya Kelly earned second-team All-ACC honors in 2025-26 as well as Indya Nivar this past season. Nivar also picked up ACC All-Defensive acclaim, as well as hearing her name called as the 28th pick of the 2026 WNBA Draft.
“I am incredibly grateful and honored to be named the associate head coach of the University of North Carolina women’s basketball program,” said McNeill. “This is a tremendous opportunity to represent Carolina, and I’m excited to work alongside Courtney Banghart and our staff, pour into our student-athletes, and help build something special. I’m truly thankful for the trust and confidence placed in me. Go Heels!”
McNeill boasts over 25 years of coaching experience at the Division I level, including stops at Coppin State, Georgetown, Virginia, Hartford, and East Carolina. Prior to his time in Carolina Blue, McNeill spent six seasons as the associate head coach at East Caroli
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Following two seasons as an assistant coach with North Carolina women’s basketball, head coach Courtney Banghart has promoted Cory McNeill to the Tar Heels’ newest associate head coach.
“Cory brings enthusiasm, professionalism, and a tireless work ethic to this program every day. He is a players’ coach, teaching and celebrating our players every step of the way,” said Banghart. “He is a relationship builder in the recruiting space and such a valued member of the entire Carolina community. My staff and I are grateful to have him on our sideline and know that we will continue to accomplish great things with his passion and leadership.”
McNeill has been instrumental in the development of Carolina’s guards throughout his two seasons in Chapel Hill, assisting the Tar Heels in back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances. Under his tutelage, Reniya Kelly earned second-team All-ACC honors in 2025-26 as well as Indya Nivar this past season. Nivar also picked up ACC All-Defensive acclaim, as well as hearing her name called as the 28th pick of the 2026 WNBA Draft.
“I am incredibly grateful and honored to be named the associate head coach of the University of North Carolina women’s basketball program,” said McNeill. “This is a tremendous opportunity to represent Carolina, and I’m excited to work alongside Courtney Banghart and our staff, pour into our student-athletes, and help build something special. I’m truly thankful for the trust and confidence placed in me. Go Heels!”
McNeill boasts over 25 years of coaching experience at the Division I level, including stops at Coppin State, Georgetown, Virginia, Hartford, and East Carolina. Prior to his time in Carolina Blue, McNeill spent six seasons as the associate head coach at East Caroli