And college basketball is hanging by a thread.
have to spend big money to win. ******* joke.
have to spend big money to win. ******* joke.
I would say our atrocious run game is more of itOhio St is worse than I thought they were. Hank Brown has been atrocious and he’s single handedly the reason we aren’t in the game today.
Serious question: What do you honestly believe has changed in terms of the product on the field? Do you think Ohio State having superior athletes to Iowa is something new? Lol.And college basketball is hanging by a thread.
have to spend big money to win. ******* joke.
No I don’t but this is going to get worse. It’s going to be hilarious when they let some G5 school into the playoffs get bent over in the first round. Iowa has always been behind schools like OSU but the chance of it ever being somewhat level is completely erased and will only get worse. They either need a salary cap in college football or just create a super league of Blue Bloods.Serious question: What do you honestly believe has changed in terms of the product on the field? Do you think Ohio State having superior athletes to Iowa is something new? Lol.
In terms of the pecking order in college football, there is also nothing that has changed. The teams and programs most adversely affected by the NIL era are mid-major and FCS schools who get raided of their best players every year. Teams like Iowa have actually benefited some from NIL because they are now able to buy players in the offseason they would have otherwise not gotten.
Instead of crying about change, how about you accept the reality Iowa isn’t competitive against Ohio State this year because they still don’t have a good quarterback? As usual, this is KF’s biggest bugaboo going into a season. Darn near has been about every year. Quarterback is still the most important position in football. When you have a below average quarterback like Hank Brown, you are not going to compete against top 5 teams. It’s just not possible. And, yes, from what I have seen, Brown is currently Iowa’s best option at quarterback. He will win a lot of games this year for Iowa, but not against teams who are legitimately top 25, or top 5 in the case of Ohio State. I don’t know if Tim Lester convinced Kirk they were fine at quarterback heading into last year’s offseason or if Kirk convinced himself they were, but Iowa needed to bring in a quarterback out of the transfer portal if they had serious aspirations of being a playoff contender. They chose not to. If it was the money, okay. But they needed an upgrade at quarterback to jump to the next level. For whatever reason, that didn’t happen.
Regardless, I told fans just like you three weeks ago to temper your enthusiasm and expectations. In fact, I am pretty sure you were one of the fans who ridiculed me for saying Iowa’s offense was not in a good place after struggling against a very mediocre Iowa State defense. And, as I said last week, Michigan is currently not a good football team and to take the last second win with a grain of salt (even though I agreed any win in the Big House is a big deal for Iowa). So, if guys like you want to talk sh*t to me when I tell you Iowa is not as good as you think they are, then don’t start threads crying about NIL when you get proven wrong. Iowa is a good football team and will likely win 9-10 games this year. But they are nowhere close to Ohio State’s level. Guess what? That has been true for decades upon decades.So quit crying about NIL.
Full stop.![]()
Also I said I would gladly comeback and admit I was wrong. Never had unrealistic expectations, but I wasn’t doomsday like some of you. It is what it is. Iowa is just a mid division one football program that can’t rely on hanging around anymore like they used too and it’ll be stuck there unless we spend megabucks like the other schools.Serious question: What do you honestly believe has changed in terms of the product on the field? Do you think Ohio State having superior athletes to Iowa is something new? Lol.
In terms of the pecking order in college football, there is also nothing that has changed. The teams and programs most adversely affected by the NIL era are mid-major and FCS schools who get raided of their best players every year. Teams like Iowa have actually benefited some from NIL because they are now able to buy players in the offseason they would have otherwise not gotten.
Instead of crying about change, how about you accept the reality Iowa isn’t competitive against Ohio State this year because they still don’t have a good quarterback? As usual, this is KF’s biggest bugaboo going into a season. Darn near has been about every year. Quarterback is still the most important position in football. When you have a below average quarterback like Hank Brown, you are not going to compete against top 5 teams. It’s just not possible. And, yes, from what I have seen, Brown is currently Iowa’s best option at quarterback. He will win a lot of games this year for Iowa, but not against teams who are legitimately top 25, or top 5 in the case of Ohio State. I don’t know if Tim Lester convinced Kirk they were fine at quarterback heading into last year’s offseason or if Kirk convinced himself they were, but Iowa needed to bring in a quarterback out of the transfer portal if they had serious aspirations of being a playoff contender. They chose not to. If it was the money, okay. But they needed an upgrade at quarterback to jump to the next level. For whatever reason, that didn’t happen.
Regardless, I told fans just like you three weeks ago to temper your enthusiasm and expectations. In fact, I am pretty sure you were one of the fans who ridiculed me for saying Iowa’s offense was not in a good place after struggling against a very mediocre Iowa State defense. And, as I said last week, Michigan is currently not a good football team and to take the last second win with a grain of salt (even though I agreed any win in the Big House is a big deal for Iowa). So, if guys like you want to talk sh*t to me when I tell you Iowa is not as good as you think they are, then don’t start threads crying about NIL when you get proven wrong. Iowa is a good football team and will likely win 9-10 games this year. But they are nowhere close to Ohio State’s level. Guess what? That has been true for decades upon decades.So quit crying about NIL.
Full stop.![]()
I don’t think it’s dramatic because we don’t even look like we belong on the same field and that wasn’t the case in the past. If you wanna be able to look like you belong in a playoff you have to look like you belong on the same field as them. We’re just above average Big Ten team from the eye test. Which I guess is fine.A little over dramatic, this is pretty standard for college football. OSU has always outspent everyone else.
College athletics are mickey mouse, and always will be.
I wasn’t doomsday. I said I expected Iowa will likely have a good season and nothing today has changed my mind on that. But, yeah, I admit to pushing back a little at the narrative Iowa has a playoff team. Not without a quarterback.Also I said I would gladly comeback and admit I was wrong. Never had unrealistic expectations, but I wasn’t doomsday like some of you. It is what it is. Iowa is just a mid division one football program that can’t rely on hanging around anymore like they used too and it’ll be stuck there unless we spend megabucks like the other schools.
All they had to do today was look like they belong and they didn’t.I wasn’t doomsday. I said I expected Iowa will likely have a good season and nothing today has changed my mind on that. But, yeah, I admit to pushing back a little at the narrative Iowa has a playoff team. Not without a quarterback.
There have been many years Iowa didn’t look like they belonged on the same field as Ohio State. In 2022, Ohio State won 54-10 and 2024 they won 35-7.I don’t think it’s dramatic because we don’t even look like we belong on the same field and that wasn’t the case in your past. If you wanna be able to look like you belong in a playoff you have to look like you belong on the same field as them. We’re just above average Big Ten team from the eye test. Which I guess is fine.
They need a quarterback.All they had to do today was look like they belong and they didn’t.
I know. And it’s pretty much what I anticipated happening.All they had to do today was look like they belong and they didn’t.
I think you’re probably over-reacting regarding college hoops, but college football is being weakened by NIL $.And college basketball is hanging by a thread.
have to spend big money to win. ******* joke.
No because we played two blue bloods and a rival that is always a ****** game. Sound the alarm when we lose to Purdue like Illinois is right now.So people aren’t concerned with how awful Iowa has looked against p4 teams? Ho hum it’s OSU? Not overreacting, this team just looks mid against actual competition
The run game has betrayed @eyesofhawkI would say our atrocious run game is more of it
It’s a long season and Iowa has shown a lot of good things so far, here and there. The problem is (not trying to belabor the point) they don’t have a quarterback, and you can’t compete at a high level without one.So people aren’t concerned with how awful Iowa has looked against p4 teams? Ho hum it’s OSU? Not overreacting, this team just looks mid against actual competition
I love the sport and watch for entertainment and the increasing commercialization makes these games harder to watch for me. I did a double take when they talked about the band doing beer night downtown and Bud Lite flashed across the screen. Direct advertising during the broadcast I find disgusting as corporate culture plays an increasingly bigger role in college athletes.Its more all the ads for me.
(not trying to belabor the point) they don’t have a quarterback, and you can’t compete at a high level without oneIt’s a long season and Iowa has shown a lot of good things so far, here and there. The problem is (not trying to belabor the point) they don’t have a quarterback, and you can’t compete at a high level without one.
So, it depends what you mean by concerned. If I were banking on Iowa to be a playoff team, I would be very concerned not having a quarterback. Am I concerned they are going to suck against the rest of the teams on their schedule? Not really. Iowa will likely be 9-3 or 8–4 this year. It’s about as good as you can hope for with a below average quarterback.
Sh*t Iowa has looked like a Jr high team against Purdue more often than not lately. I do appreciate the sheer number of threads started by @BlIIlken2 after a loss though. Maybe sit the next few plays out.There have been many years Iowa didn’t look like they belonged on the same field as Ohio State. In 2022, Ohio State won 54-10 and 2024 they won 35-7.
I think you are just emotional right now.
Correct but it makes the ceiling way thicker to break through. We aren’t going to see the upsets of the last playing NIL Goliaths. Which changes a 9-3/10-2 Iowa type team to 7-5/8-4.Nil hasn’t changed anything for Iowa. About same spot as they always were.
good. Not great.
Wrong.The run game has betrayed @eyesofhawk
Nil hurt UNI and Iowa State way more than Iowa.Correct but it makes the ceiling way thicker to break through. We aren’t going to see the upsets of the last playing NIL Goliaths. Which changes a 9-3/10-2 Iowa type team to 7-5/8-4.
Moulton doesn’t have a run longer than 8 yards in 39 carries against a P4 team this year. I think we’ve gotten an athletic line but we don’t have maulers. And Moulton just doesn’t have enough wiggle or strength to make the first guy miss. I’m hopeful Phillips will get more run, but it won’t be until after we’ve lost another game or two.Wrong.
The run game has been betrayed.
Hasn't been given a chance
Stop mischaracterizing Tim Lester.Wrong.
The run game has been betrayed.
Hasn't been given a chance
All sound like reasons to use the run more frequently.Moulton doesn’t have a run longer than 8 yards in 39 carries against a P4 team this year. I think we’ve gotten an athletic line but we don’t have maulers. And Moulton just doesn’t have enough wiggle or strength to make the first guy miss. I’m hopeful Phillips will get more run, but it won’t be until after we’ve lost another game or two.
Nope. Just all true.Stop mischaracterizing Tim Lester.
Nah.Nope. Just all true.
Those facts have been detailed in the run game thread
Read betterNah.
You first. Stop mischaracterizing Tim Lester and throw the ball.Read better
Hawkeye Report Football
Iowa Football News and Notes
Hawkeye Report Football
Five Things: Breaking down the Hawkeyes loss to Ohio State
Hawkeye Report Football
Hawkeye Report Podcast
Hawkeye Report Football
Kirk Ferentz talks loss to Ohio State
Hawkeye Report Football
Jeremy Hecklinski steps in at quarterback