Coaching rumors ...

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,334
12,321
113
I realize that the only rumors we really want to read around here are ones involving the departure of Croom; however, there is a wider coaching world out there, and pitiful, little ol MState will eventually be searching for a legit head coach, so it's good to know what else is going on around us ....

And with that, I give you this.

There is a rumor running around vol nation that Fulmer will announce retirement before the Alabama kick-off.
 

Todd4State

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
17,411
1
0
he has been with UT for practically his entire career, and life, so I doubt he regrets it.
 
Mar 1, 2008
188
0
0
"Phillip Fulmer has been affiliated with the university for more than 30 years - as a student-athlete, a coach and a parent of four UT students. "

That's his home. These days it's next to impossible for a HC in football or basketball to leave a major D-1 program in a happy situation. They're either pissed you're leaving them for another place (Roy Williams is a notable exception) or want you out b/c you're losing. I suspect he'll always think of Tennessee as home and the troubles of the last couple of years will be a small blip on the radar screen once a little time has passed. Unlike a marriage that goes through problems, high level D-1 sports programs don't typically feel biblically obligated to work through the problems until they get better.

I'm not a big Fulmer fan notably b/c of the way the situation with Johnny Majors went down...but really I think most Vol fans will think of him very positively in the long run. He did some very good things for that program.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar