What 2020 is exposing is that people love the pageantry, tailgating, & family feel for college football, but when all that is stripped away, the games suck.
There are only 3-5 teams that can compete for a championship and everyone else plays a full schedule of exhibition games. The lack of pageantry and atmosphere has really exposed the problem with college football.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. We will probably disagree on the best path to get all these things back, but at least we have the real problem pegged.
I have enjoyed college better than pro mainly because I like it better, and some fans are better than no fans. But I admit it's still lacking. But again, we agree that the main issue is passionate fans. There's more of that in college football than pro football. I would argue that there's more 'TV eyes' and sidewalk fans in the NFL, than college though. So, in my opinion, college should go with that. Stop doing everything for the TV dollar, and add more intrigue, more passion. The money will follow that in the end (like it already has).
Once COVID is over, and crowds can return, emphasis needs to be put on rekindling rivalries over conference affiliation, regional rivalries over gimme games, scholarship limits, caps on coaching salaries, etc. NIL needs to be heavily regulated. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about immediate eligibility after transfer, but that's another big ticket item. And contrary to popular belief, we need to keep the bowl system - just need to change how they choose teams. No idea how to do that, lots of tentacles. First step would be getting rid of the 6 win threshold, because not all schedules are created equally.
Games need to matter for more than just the playoff race. Winning against your rival should matter. Making to a bowl should matter. Even beating an instate school like USM should matter.
Our population has just been desensitized. All we want to do is sit on the couch and watch on TV. Need to reignite the fandom.