Buster Faulkner for next HC?

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,797
17,675
113
All hypothetical at this point. For me, I'm still hoping Beamer gets things somewhat turned around this year. However, if it comes down to it, and he's let go, I'm not sure what I think of Faulkner. He's the hot name given UF's offense so far this season, but I'd want to see how their offense does against better defenses first.

Even so, I think it'd be reactionary to jump on him based on the body of work at UF. I know he did well at GaTech previously, but I don't think he was anyone hot board for HC gigs before UF's "revival" this year.

And, FWIW, FSU fans want him as well.

I'm just not sure it's the wisest move to hop on the hot name train. It usually doesn't work out well. I want someone with more of a track record of success.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,981
5,739
113
All hypothetical at this point. For me, I'm still hoping Beamer gets things somewhat turned around this year. However, if it comes down to it, and he's let go, I'm not sure what I think of Faulkner. He's the hot name given UF's offense so far this season, but I'd want to see how their offense does against better defenses first.

Even so, I think it'd be reactionary to jump on him based on the body of work at UF. I know he did well at GaTech previously, but I don't think he was anyone hot board for HC gigs before UF's "revival" this year.

And, FWIW, FSU fans want him as well.

I'm just not sure it's the wisest move to hop on the hot name train. It usually doesn't work out well. I want someone with more of a track record of success.

Going off hearsay, but my Clemson friends thought they were getting him as OC last year till UF came in late.

I would say he is sought after as an OC, and this year at UF will probably put him in line for HC.
 

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,799
3,381
113
Ha. I gave up trying to keep up the "I hate everything Clemson" internet persona. In my real life, I live around, work with and am related to Clemson grads.

The older I get, the more cordial the rivalry becomes.
This is me as well. I've always had friends who are fans and/or alumni of rival schools. Anyone who lets someone else's alma mater or choice of team to pull for disqualify that person as a friend really needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123

ukalum1988

Heisman
Dec 21, 2014
12,511
32,654
113
UK fan here, I come in peace…..

Faulkner is definitely on the hot list of prospective HCs. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get hired as a HC after this season.
 

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,797
17,675
113
UK fan here, I come in peace…..

Faulkner is definitely on the hot list of prospective HCs. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get hired as a HC after this season.

Well, as long as you're here, how confident are UK fans? I can't imagine why we're favored. I'd have to imagine y'all are licking your chops when you see how our secondary played against MSU and Bama.

It seems like your D has allowed a decent amount of yardage so far this season and we've been good at moving the ball, so I would think that won't change (but who knows?). But we are terrible at finishing. Too many mental/unforced mistakes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ukalum1988

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,799
3,381
113
UK fan here, I come in peace…..

Faulkner is definitely on the hot list of prospective HCs. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get hired as a HC after this season.
I wonder if he'd take a HC job? He may not want the headaches and pressure. He is making $2.1M as OC at UF, he can live pretty well on that. If he doubled his pay taking a HC job, would he really be able to live appreciably better?

I don't know anything about how ambitious he is. He might be perfectly happy being a successful OC.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ukalum1988

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,797
17,675
113
I could see us jumping on Lincoln Riley if he's fired from SoCal. The once hot name in coaching circles who is now damaged goods.
 

FootballLVR

Junior
Sep 25, 2023
514
322
63
All hypothetical at this point. For me, I'm still hoping Beamer gets things somewhat turned around this year. However, if it comes down to it, and he's let go, I'm not sure what I think of Faulkner. He's the hot name given UF's offense so far this season, but I'd want to see how their offense does against better defenses first.

Even so, I think it'd be reactionary to jump on him based on the body of work at UF. I know he did well at GaTech previously, but I don't think he was anyone hot board for HC gigs before UF's "revival" this year.

And, FWIW, FSU fans want him as well.

I'm just not sure it's the wisest move to hop on the hot name train. It usually doesn't work out well. I want someone with more of a track record of success.
When was the last time we signed a "hot name" coach here at USC. We tried to get Kirby then Georgia fired their coach and took him out from under us. Spurrier and Holtz were basically retired and not so much on anyone's list of coaches to hire. Don't get me started about Beamer and Muschamp. So, when was it? Sparky? Brad? Before that? Maybe I just don't remember.
 

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,799
3,381
113
When was the last time we signed a "hot name" coach here at USC. We tried to get Kirby then Georgia fired their coach and took him out from under us. Spurrier and Holtz were basically retired and not so much on anyone's list of coaches to hire. Don't get me started about Beamer and Muschamp. So, when was it? Sparky? Brad? Before that? Maybe I just don't remember.
Scott looked like a great hire at the time. He had been OC at what was one of the hottest programs in the country. I don't think anyone thought we had "settled" when we hired him. Sparky looked good too. He had a proven record.

I didn't think much of the Holtz hire. He was far beyond his best years when we recycled him. He looked like Granny Clampett stomping around on the sideline. Spurrier felt good, but ultimately was a brief flash in the pan after 6 seasons of mediocrity. He lost 5 or more games every year except for the three year run.

I'm on the 18 program that who the coach is really isn't going to make that much difference. South Carolina is a mediocre program, always has been and always will be. I think we should get over worrying about "winning big" and focus on enjoying game days as a social event and letting the wins, when they do happen, make the party even better.
 

Legal_fowl

Junior
Apr 3, 2019
580
361
63
All hypothetical at this point. For me, I'm still hoping Beamer gets things somewhat turned around this year. However, if it comes down to it, and he's let go, I'm not sure what I think of Faulkner. He's the hot name given UF's offense so far this season, but I'd want to see how their offense does against better defenses first.

Even so, I think it'd be reactionary to jump on him based on the body of work at UF. I know he did well at GaTech previously, but I don't think he was anyone hot board for HC gigs before UF's "revival" this year.

And, FWIW, FSU fans want him as well.

I'm just not sure it's the wisest move to hop on the hot name train. It usually doesn't work out well. I want someone with more of a track record of success.
I like Shanahn better. Faulkner has moved around a lot with different head coaches. Shanahan has been with Cignetti a long time. I think he will install a better system that will win games.
 

Urbanrooster77

Redshirt
Sep 28, 2026
10
7
2
Personally, I'd be okay with Jimbo or Brian Kelly. Make them a bargain offer, it beats what either of them are currently doing. The worst they can say is no.
 

Legal_fowl

Junior
Apr 3, 2019
580
361
63
I couldn't get past "Clemson friends". I have Clemson relatives, but I can't do anything about that.
Me too. I had an uncle who played for Clemson in the 1940s. He joined the army and was killed in Bastogne. My great great grandfather was Col. James Henry Rion. Wrote the will for Thomas Clemson that created Clemson University.
 

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,799
3,381
113
Personally, I'd be okay with Jimbo or Brian Kelly. Make them a bargain offer, it beats what either of them are currently doing. The worst they can say is no.
Jimbo is nothing without a criminal Heisman caliber QB. He couldn't win at aTm with all of the money in the world at his disposal. Also, I doubt he would take the job here.

Kelly is cringy and I'm not sure he really wants to be here. He's a yankee through and through. He needs to stay up north.
 

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,797
17,675
113
If we want a guarantee, there is one name: Urban Meyer. I often say that coaching hires are a roll of the dice, and that is 99.9999% accurate. Urban is a sure thing. Whatever else may happen while he's here, we would win a lot of games.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,981
5,739
113
When was the last time we signed a "hot name" coach here at USC. We tried to get Kirby then Georgia fired their coach and took him out from under us. Spurrier and Holtz were basically retired and not so much on anyone's list of coaches to hire. Don't get me started about Beamer and Muschamp. So, when was it? Sparky? Brad? Before that? Maybe I just don't remember.

As said above, Scott was a big deal at the time. And I remember a hige elation at hiring Holtz, eclipsed again by Euphoria over Spurrier.

Then we hired a coach coming off a firing and a position coach nepo baby.

But me personally? I dont think we need a big name or a big splash. Just a coach who isn't a proven failure.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SouthernBelly

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,797
17,675
113
As said above, Scott was a big deal at the time. And I remember a hige elation at hiring Holtz, eclipsed again by Euphoria over Spurrier.

Then we hired a coach coming off a firing and a position coach nepo baby.

But me personally? I dont think we need a big name or a big splash. Just a coach who isn't a proven failure.

Yeah, fans don't like to admit it now, but hiring Brad Scott was a HUGE deal at the time. He was the OC of the most potent offense on the most dominant team in college football. Fans will now say they didn't like the Scott hire b/c everyone knew that Bowden was running the offense, but that's hogwash. Nobody knew anything about anything at the time.

Frankly, we had 3 unbelievable coaching hires in a row.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123

ukalum1988

Heisman
Dec 21, 2014
12,511
32,654
113
Well, as long as you're here, how confident are UK fans? I can't imagine why we're favored. I'd have to imagine y'all are licking your chops when you see how our secondary played against MSU and Bama.

It seems like your D has allowed a decent amount of yardage so far this season and we've been good at moving the ball, so I would think that won't change (but who knows?). But we are terrible at finishing. Too many mental/unforced mistakes.
I would say UK fans are relatively confident, but I’m not sensing irrational exuberance. The suspension of Stewart has been well noted…. Some of us think this certainly helps UK’s chances, others aren’t sure; thinking that getting rid of a distraction will help the Gamecocks focus.

Our pass defense has been very inconsistent. We’re rolling with our second string Kicker. Our offense has been decent but we’ve struggled with converting on 3rd down.

Honestly I can see either team winning. I know USC is 2-2 and 0-2 in conference play. As far as I’m concerned, this game will largely dictate the outcome of the Gamecocks season.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3USC1801

SouthernBelly

Senior
Sep 16, 2024
915
697
93
Yeah, fans don't like to admit it now, but hiring Brad Scott was a HUGE deal at the time. He was the OC of the most potent offense on the most dominant team in college football. Fans will now say they didn't like the Scott hire b/c everyone knew that Bowden was running the offense, but that's hogwash. Nobody knew anything about anything at the time.

Frankly, we had 3 unbelievable coaching hires in a row.
Which 3? Scott, Holtz, Spurrier? All of the coaching hires in my recollection from Woods through Spurrier made sense at the time, the last two have not.
 

RL09

All-Conference
Dec 29, 2025
975
1,132
93
All hypothetical at this point. For me, I'm still hoping Beamer gets things somewhat turned around this year. However, if it comes down to it, and he's let go, I'm not sure what I think of Faulkner. He's the hot name given UF's offense so far this season, but I'd want to see how their offense does against better defenses first.

Even so, I think it'd be reactionary to jump on him based on the body of work at UF. I know he did well at GaTech previously, but I don't think he was anyone hot board for HC gigs before UF's "revival" this year.

And, FWIW, FSU fans want him as well.

I'm just not sure it's the wisest move to hop on the hot name train. It usually doesn't work out well. I want someone with more of a track record of success.
a hot name based upon a very small sample size, if the time were to come, I would prefer we name Briles as interim and give him a working interview. I really like the job Briles, the Ol coach and RB coach have done so far.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,981
5,739
113
a hot name based upon a very small sample size, if the time were to come, I would prefer we name Briles as interim and give him a working interview. I really like the job Briles, the Ol coach and RB coach have done so far.

His sample size is more than just this uear at UF though.
 

Piscis

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2001
25,799
3,381
113
a hot name based upon a very small sample size, if the time were to come, I would prefer we name Briles as interim and give him a working interview. I really like the job Briles, the Ol coach and RB coach have done so far.
Please lay out what you like so much about what Briles has done. Sellers doesn't look any better than last year and the offense isn't scoring much against legit competition. I don't count the garbage time points very much. Piling points on the cadavers really doesn't impress me much.

The OL does look much better, but, as 18 said a while back, it really couldn't look any worse. The RBs look better too, but I think that is as much a function of the improvement of the OL as it is anything the RB coach has done. Fuller at least looks the part of an SEC RB.

Beamer isn't going anywhere anyway.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Recruiting INTEL: South Carolina football hosting top recruits, including SEC commits for Kentucky game
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Three keys to a South Carolina win over Kentucky
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football Behind Enemy Lines: Kentucky writer breaks down Wildcats ahead of South Carolina game
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Womens Basketball South Carolina women's basketball: Reporter roundtable - Pressure, important games, and key players
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football South Carolina linemen named among college football's most impactful freshmen