Big Blue Madness

Starrcade

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2026
623
1,076
93
And in its place? @Starrcade's favorite: the armpit smell of Brian Knobbs and Jerry Sags the one-and-only NASTY BOYS!!!!!!

*the BBN crowd goes wild as the literal Nasty Boys make their way down the aisleway and onto the court. Pope gives them a double high five, up high and then down low.*
Whats up, Nightsweats? You gonna go absolutely berzerk with your politics before the thread gets deleted like you did the other day??? Stick to faking your disappearance.
 

ORCAT

Heisman
Jan 6, 2003
24,762
12,171
113
Has to get better or just drop it. Iwas there and it was pretty boring and I've been to many Madness nights before. Arena wasn't ever filled and many people, I mean large amounts, left early leaving huge gaps in the arena. We even left before it was completely over as it was really dragging and had already been going 2 1/2 hours. Least interesting Madness night I've attended.
 

May98

Redshirt
Nov 12, 2025
30
27
3
Has to get better or just drop it. Iwas there and it was pretty boring and I've been to many Madness nights before. Arena wasn't ever filled and many people, I mean large amounts, left early leaving huge gaps in the arena. We even left before it was completely over as it was really dragging and had already been going 2 1/2 hours. Least interesting Madness night I've attended.
Yea I think the campouts would help build the excitement, especially with the students.

Then it has to be shortened. Sorry ladies.

And lastly 5v5 scrimmage (I think elite freshmen recruits also help with BBM excitement seeing them for the first time, like John Wall.)
 
Last edited:

Runnin'Ramel

Heisman
Jan 19, 2005
35,677
13,559
113
As someone who has attended Madness since '95, not consecutively but throughout all coaching tenures since, I have some thoughts about last night. Overall, my honest take is it's time to re-boot the whole experience.

Let me be direct: that was the least amount of energy in the building for a Madness, by far, and that includes the final Tubby years and year 2 for Billy G.

Nobody around us stood for anything except KAT's appearance and the t-shirt toss. Embarrassing level of apathy.

Gold standard has rusted over and the property is covered in weeds and broken fence posts. This program is a shell of what it once was in terms of enthusiasm, energy, innovation, and fan experience.

I would re-brand the entire Madness event into a family-centric event with a focus on kids who are too naive to know what this has become lately. They'll always love the putt from baseline to baseline, the t-shirt toss, the cheerleaders, and a few stale, over-used videos with the same music we've heard for a decade plus by now.

Pope didn't even give a speech. He was too focused on his new image - "drip" as the kids say. In year one, he narrated practice drills, talked about his team, and was on the mic a lot.

This year the mic didn't work 50% of the time, the loud speakers crackled during the videos, and the intros were stuck in slow motion. It was all disorganized, choppy, awkward silence throughout ...

I was stunned to see the entire section behind the stage curtained off from floor to ceiling. Never seen that before at Madness. So when we say "sell-out" let's factor in 20% of Rupp was behind a black curtain. And the row behind us in Section 214 was almost completely empty. LOTS of empty seats.

If not for the father/son experience and memories, this would have been my list. But my son is too young to know how terrible and sad this event truly was.

I don't think any students were there. In the past, they'd have a big section in front of the stage to keep the energy up and high-five the players.

I think the women actually had MORE time because they ran long. Awful.

Do better, UK.
 

May98

Redshirt
Nov 12, 2025
30
27
3
Why don't we go back to the cool, lights down vibe we had during the earlier eras? Why are all the bright lights on like it's a school assembly?
 

KFuqua

All-Conference
Oct 24, 2001
2,215
2,685
113
As unpopular as this might be, they really should have a separate event for the women's team. I wish them well and hope they win it all, but I don't think most people have enough interest in them to endure them at madness. I could also do without the cheerleaders and dance team. When those things take up the majority of madness, something is wrong. It should be focused on the men's basketball program. It was dull from start to finish. No coach introductions, other than Pope, no real focus on much of anything. It was good to see KAT and I like having former players there. I was excited for it to get started and disappointed (in madness) when it was done. I Iike the team and think they can be really good and am ready for basketball! As always...GO BIG BLUE!!!
 

ala_kat2

Heisman
Jan 4, 2003
11,297
10,733
103
I’m too old to go to Rupp Arena for anything, and the crowd enthusiasm, on TV at least, seemed less than usual. However, all you posters who are using this thread to once again disparage Pope and the team in general are redundant.
 

BigBlueBubba

All-Conference
Nov 11, 2005
372
1,238
93
As unpopular as this might be, they really should have a separate event for the women's team. I wish them well and hope they win it all, but I don't think most people have enough interest in them to endure them at madness. I could also do without the cheerleaders and dance team. When those things take up the majority of madness, something is wrong. It should be focused on the men's basketball program. It was dull from start to finish. No coach introductions, other than Pope, no real focus on much of anything. It was good to see KAT and I like having former players there. I was excited for it to get started and disappointed (in madness) when it was done. I Iike the team and think they can be really good and am ready for basketball! As always...GO BIG BLUE!!!
I agree. If were being honest, who cares about women's basketball.
 

BigBlueBubba

All-Conference
Nov 11, 2005
372
1,238
93
Just a thought but college bball could be losing it's luster. The influx of foreigners to America is propelling other sports like soccer to a new level.
 

BookofMormon

All-Conference
Mar 27, 2026
986
1,295
93
Just a thought but college bball could be losing it's luster. The influx of foreigners to America is propelling other sports like soccer to a new level.
Nah, the viewership is all there. It all starts with the coach.

Cal, for better or worse, was an entertainer as much as he was a coach. We rode the guy out of town without doing a full 360 on all the things he provided, hyper fixated on 3 tourneys.
 

BigBlueBubba

All-Conference
Nov 11, 2005
372
1,238
93
Nah, the viewership is all there. It all starts with the coach.

Cal, for better or worse, was an entertainer as much as he was a coach. We rode the guy out of town without doing a full 360 on all the things he provided, hyper fixated on 3 tourneys.
I think Cal lost his Mojo. I'm not saying Pope is the answer but it was in the best interest of both parties for a split. The problem came in with Banrhart eliminating the best available alternatives like Pearl and Sean Miller because they didn't pass his virtue test.
 
  • Like
Reactions: seccats04

BookofMormon

All-Conference
Mar 27, 2026
986
1,295
93
Just a thought but college bball could be losing it's luster. The influx of foreigners to America is propelling other sports like soccer to a new level.
Soccer is a wild theory.

My theory is this - in the portal era, it's just not as exciting picking off a bunch of old mercenaries from other programs at this point in the year. You know what they are, you've seen them on TV.

When you have a pack of new NBA possible freshmen that no one has seen in a college uni, it's a different experience. You're coming out to not only see the kid that may get UK it's next title, but the next NBA star.
 

BookofMormon

All-Conference
Mar 27, 2026
986
1,295
93
I think Cal lost his Mojo. I'm not saying Pope is the answer but it was in the best interest of both parties for a split. The problem came in with Banrhart eliminating the best available alternatives like Pearl and Sean Miller because they didn't pass his virtue test.
Cal hasn't lost his mojo in terms of entertainment and bringing in the 5* with the most NBA potential. He'll have Fayetville rocking and rolling this year from a pure entertainment standpoint.

From a titles standpoint, he may have not been the answer. I don't think Fayetville cares. They have a lower bar that way.

 
May 27, 2007
31,986
25,140
113
I think the whole Cal lost his mojo is such a false narrative.

Everyone says post 15, he wasn't the same.

No what changed was the results. He just wasn't getting the results he got. In both 17 and 19 we were a poss away from Final Fours. The last three years here we had some very good teams as evident by the seeds we were given going into the tournament.

I don't think Cal ever lost that. It was just that it was going to be difficult to keep up the same pace he had 2010-20215. Three of those teams were among some of the greatest UK teams ever.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DonAndy
May 27, 2007
31,986
25,140
113
Also the women being in this is not the reason for the lack of excitement.

They've been in this along with the cheerleaders and dance team for as long as I can remember.

It's a direct result of Pope and the lack of excitement currently around the team.

Recruit better. Put a product on the court that could compete for a national title and see how excited fans become.
 
  • Like
Reactions: May98

ComebackCats98

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2025
866
2,613
93
I was thinking this morning why is BBM not as great as it once was. I’ve seen people mention the women’s team, but I can remember them being apart of it since Tubby. Maybe no scrimmage? However, is a 5 minute running clock of threes and dunks going to make the night worthwhile? Could it be some pessimism around the program under Pope? Possibly, but I think the biggest reason is social media and technology. Before BBM was a time to see the new players. The only time you really heard about them was in preseason magazines and the newspaper. Now you constantly see every target UK is talking to for 3-4 years. If they commit instantly highlights and analysis comparing their game to other players. You can watch them play the entire summer on the EYBL circuit or their high school season most times. Before you only saw these guys if they played somewhere nearby and you could go watch. I’m not blaming this solely, but I think it’s why it’s not as special now as it was pre technology boom.
 
  • Like
Reactions: davtay

Skyguyb27

All-American
Feb 12, 2008
4,987
8,308
113
When you speak of “ weak AF “ you’re technically talking about our roster 🤔 And that my friend, is the lack of interest right now ..
Don’t twist words. I said only 5 pages, of a thread I never saw, is weak. Go back 10,15,20 years and a site like this would have people complaining about 30 threads about our team and making the site locked up. That my friend is a weak state of the program (and college sports).
 

May98

Redshirt
Nov 12, 2025
30
27
3
As unpopular as this might be, they really should have a separate event for the women's team. I wish them well and hope they win it all, but I don't think most people have enough interest in them to endure them at madness. I could also do without the cheerleaders and dance team. When those things take up the majority of madness, something is wrong. It should be focused on the men's basketball program. It was dull from start to finish. No coach introductions, other than Pope, no real focus on much of anything. It was good to see KAT and I like having former players there. I was excited for it to get started and disappointed (in madness) when it was done. I Iike the team and think they can be really good and am ready for basketball! As always...GO BIG BLUE!!!
The problem is they make the fans essentially go through the same thing twice. Introductions, waiting, warmups, waiting, 3 pt contest, etc.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Football Ty Bryant to the rest of the college football world: 'If they want to stay sleep, they can do that.'
  2. 02 KSR Football Kentucky vs. LSU is a hotter ticket than Alabama vs. Georgia
  3. 03 KSR Football Winning the turnover battle helped Kentucky snap losing streak to South Carolina
  4. 04 KSR Football LSU opens as a two-score favorite in Lexington
  5. 05 KSR Football Kentucky now projected to win seven games by ESPN FPI (with a shot at the CFP)