Betting question ???

megablue

Heisman
Oct 2, 2012
16,599
17,284
113
I have been to the track for entertainment and wagered some, but I have never bet games. I recently saw a pop-up add for a gaming site that showed, for a $100 bet to win the game:
TAM $113
KY $855
Just curious, do many people make TO WIN bets in football ??
 
Last edited:

CB3UK

Hall of Famer
Apr 15, 2012
65,021
109,263
78
Are you asking if people bet on the money line straight up in sports?

Uh.....yeah......

I feel like this is a trick question or troll thread or something. What am I missing?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Blu-ish

megablue

Heisman
Oct 2, 2012
16,599
17,284
113
Are you asking if people bet on the money line straight up in sports? Uvv

Uh.....yeah......

I feel like this is a trick question or troll thread or something. What am I missing?
Straight-forward question, as I do not bet and know relatively little about it. I never knew there were TO WIN bets in football ... as I am certainly familiar with the spread (line) and over-under betting. I knew there was TO WIN betting in baseball, but did not know in football. Accordingly, I asked to see if TO WIN bets were FREQUENTLY wagered. That's all ... as I tried to research betting trends by types of bets and couldn't find anything. It was a general question to those here who regularly wager on football games.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: theBlues and CB3UK

NociHTTP

Heisman
Mar 8, 2023
13,161
20,551
113
Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
 

Glenn's Take

Heisman
May 20, 2012
13,010
15,317
113
Straight-forward question, as I do not bet and know relatively little about it. I never knew there were TO WIN bets in football ... as I am certainly familiar with the spread (line) and over-under betting. I knew there was TO WIN betting in baseball, but did not know in football. Accordingly, I asked to see if TO WIN bets were FREQUENTLY wagered. That's all ... as I tried to research betting trends by types of bets and couldn't find anything. It was a general question to those here who regularly wager on football games.
Hell dude. You can make your own line. Adjust the point spread and you increase or decrease your odds. If you're willing to take UK today and give 9.5 points you can get 15-1.
 

entropy13

All-American
Apr 27, 2010
3,760
7,129
113
OP, if you bet less than five figures (not counting decimal points), you're a poo-say. And if you bet five figures or more, you're a degenerate.
 

megablue

Heisman
Oct 2, 2012
16,599
17,284
113
Hell dude. You can make your own line. Adjust the point spread and you increase or decrease your odds. If you're willing to take UK today and give 9.5 points you can get 15-1.
I understand. I was trying to find what percentage of wager $$$ is typically placed on the MoneyLine bets on a typical Saturday. I have been unable to find it, so far. I understand at $113, if a person bet $100 on TAM to win, they will net $13 profit. It reminded be of huge show bets made on prohibitive favorites to receive the minimum $2.20 payoff. Of course, that minimum has changed because too many huge bets were placed, especially in 6-horse races, on the favorite to show. I remember stories of people flying in to Keeneland to bet $100,000 and more, to show on such prohibitive favorites, winning the minimum and flying back home. Similarly, I wondered how many $$$ were placed on heavy favorites, especially at home, to simply win a game ???

An example might be $40,000 bet on TAM to win $5,200. I would never do it, but wondered what the dollar volume of these kinds of bets might be ???
 
Last edited:

Glenn's Take

Heisman
May 20, 2012
13,010
15,317
113
I understand. I was trying to find what percentage of wager $$$ is typically placed on the MoneyLine bets on a typical Saturday. I have been unable to find it, so far. I understand at $113, if a person bet $100 on TAM to win, they will net $13 profit. It reminded be of huge show bets made on prohibitive favorites to receive the minimum $2.20 payoff. Of course, that minimum has changed because too many huge bets were placed, especially in 6-horse races, on the favorite to show. I remember stories of people flying in to Keeneland to bet $100,000 and more, to show on such prohibitive favorites, winning the minimum and flying back home. Similarly, I wondered how many $$$ were placed on heavy favorites, especially at home, to simply win a game ???

An example might be $40,000 bet on TAM to win $5,200. I would never do it, but wondered what the dollar volume of these kinds of bets might be ???
If they do that automatically bet $2 on every other horse in the field.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Kentucky inexplicably dropped out of the AP Poll. This is why voters should feel bad about themselves.
  2. 02 KSR Football 'Cold-Blooded' Kenny Minchey leads Kentucky to another massive SEC road win
  3. 03 KSR Volleyball No. 3 Kentucky VB drowns in The Swamp, loses 3-2 to No. 7 Florida
  4. 04 KSR Football Henry Boyer has been a clutch touchdown machine for Kentucky
  5. 05 KSR Football Kentucky may become nationally relevant because of Will Stein, but he says Wildcats win the games