Beef Brisket

BradleyStreet

Freshman
Aug 12, 2005
460
56
28
I want to make my 1st beef brisket Saturday to celebrate college football return and get ready for the drive Sunday morning to DC for the game. However I don't have a recipe but know there are plenty of ideas within this Forum's crowd. Also, I will be using a Weber gas grill (sorry no smoker), but I do have the smoker add-on. All suggestions are appreciated starting with what specific piece I should ask the butcher for!

Looking forward to watching the Hokies get smoked Sunday evening.
 

Mog

All-American
May 29, 2001
47,214
6,578
113
I haven't cooked a lot of brisket, but I'd just be sure to get the highest quality cut you can find. Prime is ridiculously expensive, but worth it. Get choice if that's what you can find, but if you buy select you'll inevitably end up with a big, dry hunk of meat no matter how you cook it.

Your options will basically be to get a whole brisket, a point cut, or a flat cut. I think point and flat are about the same size, though the flat is leaner.
 

1WVU

Senior
Jan 17, 2005
46,844
414
83
Many will tell you to get the whole packer. Too hard to cook just the flat. Hard part with brisket is knowing when it's done. I've learned to go by feel and use IT as a guide. Good luck!
 

El~Scronko

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
12,465
3,678
113
op did not deliver

Really though, all these tips are spot on, in my experience. Brisket is such a huge pain in the *** to get right. Couple things that helped me were getting an instant read thermometer (read: thermapen) and getting another thermometer to monitor the temperature insid my smoker (the built in ones are always trash).
 
WV Sports

Latest

  1. 01 WV Sports Basketball Recruiting 2028 guard David Douglas talks WVU offer, what he brings to the floor
  2. 02 WV Sports Football Rich Rodriguez press conference summary: 10-6
  3. 03 WV Sports Basketball WVU basketball returns just 22% of its scoring. How will it replace it?
  4. 04 WV Sports Football Where WVU football ranks in the national stats after Week 5
  5. 05 WV Sports Football Rich Rodriguez ready to ‘scrape it all down to the studs’ on WVU defense