Baseball cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWSDawgs

Senior
Mar 16, 2021
559
510
93
If you enjoyed collecting baseball cards as a kid and your kid does now give this one a listen. There is a new baseball card shop in Brookhaven, MS called The Bullpen Collectibles.



 
  • Like
Reactions: Seinfeld

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,636
7,889
113
I haven't ripped a pack of cards in decades, but this kinda stuff passes by my YouTube feed every now and then, and man does it bring back some fond memories. I was worried that the digital NFT craze was gonna kill the ol' cardboard, but it's good to see that it's still around and possibly as strong as ever
 

The Cooterpoot

Heisman
Sep 29, 2022
7,439
13,039
113
Bubble gone bust on those high *** cards at some point so you better not hang on to them too long
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,892
2,809
113
I haven't ripped a pack of cards in decades, but this kinda stuff passes by my YouTube feed every now and then, and man does it bring back some fond memories. I was worried that the digital NFT craze was gonna kill the ol' cardboard, but it's good to see that it's still around and possibly as strong as ever
When did "ripping" become the verb used for opening a pack of cards? I don't recall this being a thing in my collecting days? I assume the kids came up with it in recent years?
 

BoDawg.sixpack

All-Conference
Feb 5, 2010
5,829
3,538
113
The wax era cards are worthless outside of a handful of cards that grade out at PSA 10. And of course I have a crap ton of PSA 7's and 8's.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,886
6,695
113
When did "ripping" become the verb used for opening a pack of cards? I don't recall this being a thing in my collecting days? I assume the kids came up with it in recent years?
Never heard it when I busily nerded out at card shows in the 90s trying to complete an Upper Deck MLB set or a Fleer NHL set.
Ooh, I just remembered SkyBox cards- the 1990 David Robinson one flashed in my mind.

Damn that was so much time and money spent. Ha, because of those cards I knew stats that literally nobody in my life cared about.


Never ripped a pack of cards back then. It was obviously a measured opening to ensure corners werent damaged!
 

Herbert Nenninger

All-Conference
Feb 9, 2019
851
1,265
93
Never heard it when I busily nerded out at card shows in the 90s trying to complete an Upper Deck MLB set or a Fleer NHL set.
Ooh, I just remembered SkyBox cards- the 1990 David Robinson one flashed in my mind.

Damn that was so much time and money spent. Ha, because of those cards I knew stats that literally nobody in my life cared about.


Never ripped a pack of cards back then. It was obviously a measured opening to ensure corners werent damaged!
Yeah I had so many stats stuck in my memory from my cards.
A while back, my bro in law brought up John Olerud randomly. I mentioned his .363 batting average in ‘93. And that it was crazy how just two years earlier, Terry Pendleton won the batting title with a .319. He looked them up to verify. And then just walked away shaking his head and laughing.
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,589
9,690
113
My kid is potty training, and we reward him with baseball cards whenever he goes because he loves baseball cards. I got my mom to send like 1000 of my old ones because we ran out of the 100 or so new ones I had. My kid is running around talking about Yordan Alvarez and Aaron Judge in the same breath as Jeff Blauser and Ryne Sandberg. He basically has the last 40 years of baseball all mixed together
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,589
9,690
113
My kid is potty training, and we reward him with baseball cards whenever he goes because he loves baseball cards. I got my mom to send like 1000 of my old ones because we ran out of the 100 or so new ones I had. My kid is running around talking about Yordan Alvarez and Aaron Judge in the same breath as Jeff Blauser and Ryne Sandberg. He basically has the last 40 years of baseball all mixed together

Also, if you look at cards right before the steroid era, the players look like they should be operating a ring toss at a state fair

IMG_2033.jpeg
 

Lettuce

All-Conference
Jun 24, 2024
1,023
1,167
113
I’ll never forget the smell of my first two sets. 1990 tops and 1991 upper deck.

I was able to collect over 400 Ripken jr cards during my hayday. Including the fleer 82 rookie
 
  • Like
Reactions: scotty_c

John Deaux VII

All-Conference
Jun 7, 2024
1,238
3,009
113
I never had any interest in baseball cards until I was 10 years old. In the summer of 1992, I went to baseball camp at Mississippi State. We stayed in Evans Hall, which no longer exist. Every night in the lobby they had a guy selling Dominoes pizzas and packs of 1992 Fleer cards. I bought a widow's cruse of both....

images (2).jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

CochiseCowbell

Heisman
Oct 29, 2012
15,673
14,513
113
I was worried that the digital NFT craze was gonna kill the ol' cardboard,


The 1994 Strike did that for me.

Well, that and Adults entering the arena. After a Spring Training trip to the Grapefruit League, my father took me to the local card shop. We were discussing the autographs I got and how much they might be worth (I didn't have any hall of famers). Poindexter was droning on about the valuation system. . .

Side note: Looking back, why did it seem like all the guys who ran these shops, aside from the really old timers, never picked up a glove or bat?

. . .when he casually says, "If I had a Nolan Ryan rookie card, I wouldn't dare let him touch it with his pen."

My father was dumbfounded. I stopped flipping through packs, and turned around to make sure I heard right.
 
Last edited:

CochiseCowbell

Heisman
Oct 29, 2012
15,673
14,513
113
Also, if you look at cards right before the steroid era, the players look like they should be operating a ring toss at a state fair

View attachment 1378597


Somewhere, I have a team card of the Pittsburgh Pirates, in those striped painter hats in the dugout. 2 or 3 of them are smoking cigarettes mid-game.

Trying to google an image.


ETA: Found it. Well, the picture that was on the card.

1785510671819.png
 

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,526
22,325
113
What's the going rate for a pack these days?
No idea. He just started getting into it and is going through all my old cards right now.

Google say...

$3.00 to $15.00 for individual retail packs, while specialized hobby or fat packs run higher. Standard retail packs like Topps Series 1 cost around $5.99, hanger and value/fat packs cost $6.99 to $14.99, and larger blaster boxes cost $25.00 to $30.00.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,707
12,444
113
I've got a good many from the late 60's and early 70's, both MLB and NFL. I haven't looked at values of them in decades though so they may have gone way up or way down by now (probably down). Last time I looked the most valuable one I had was a Steve Carlton card and a few players that I had from the old Seattle Pilots, that only existed for 1 season. They moved in 1969 from Seattle to become the Milwaukee Brewers. Marti Patton (pitcher) is one of the cards that I have from the Pilots. I think the highest NFL one that I had when I looked last was a Roman Gabriel card when he played for the Rams.
 

stateu1

All-Conference
Mar 21, 2016
3,158
1,190
113
I've got a good many from the late 60's and early 70's, both MLB and NFL. I haven't looked at values of them in decades though so they may have gone way up or way down by now (probably down). Last time I looked the most valuable one I had was a Steve Carlton card and a few players that I had from the old Seattle Pilots, that only existed for 1 season. They moved in 1969 from Seattle to become the Milwaukee Brewers. Marti Patton (pitcher) is one of the cards that I have from the Pilots. I think the highest NFL one that I had when I looked last was a Roman Gabriel card when he played for the Rams.
They can be valuable but really only if they grade at a 10, which is rare.
 

MSUDAWGFAN

Senior
Apr 17, 2014
1,155
782
113
It isnt a baseball card, but close.

In 1993 I pulled a Michael Jordan Ultra scoring kings from a pack. Like a dubmass I traded it away.

Since that point in time, it has become my holy grail of cards. Well, last January I bout a BGS 8 off of ebay for $909 and change.

It just sold for $4,000.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,707
12,444
113
They can be valuable but really only if they grade at a 10, which is rare.
Mine are all in albums w/ the clear card slots and always have been but who knows. If I was worried about them being valuable it wouldn't have been decades since I had checked on them though
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,133
2,541
113
There's a new shop opened in Tupelo recently. Reflector had a story on the kid a few years ago.


 

JWSDawgs

Senior
Mar 16, 2021
559
510
93
There’s a good story behind the Will Clark sign that may or may not have been at Dudy Noble Field 😂 and if you want to find out where it now resides today then give the episode a listen
 

stateu1

All-Conference
Mar 21, 2016
3,158
1,190
113
Mine are all in albums w/ the clear card slots and always have been but who knows. If I was worried about them being valuable it wouldn't have been decades since I had checked on them though
Yea but to be 10 the image has to be perfect not just the card itself. Perfectly centered, etc. absolutely no defects.
 

BulldogBlitz

Heisman
Dec 11, 2008
18,132
25,722
113
We have about a dozen customers shipping out cards for grading on a regular basis. One guy owns a sports card shop, he seems to go through waves. Currently, he is jettisoning whole unopened sets.

Hah...Just Friday garrison Hearst mama shipped him a bunch of cards to sign. She's just doing the legwork, but said she thought he was "done with that".

Have not seen Dexter Carter since he brought his extremely quiet son in to get a few things notarized for his son to get his own cards. Dexter has been all over the NIL side of life for his kid.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor