Band Uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlotownDawg

All-American
Aug 30, 2012
7,238
8,121
113
I was about to post the same thing. The b!tching about the band not wearing full uniforms in the extremely hot early season games needs to stop. The band members aren't athletes. Many of them don't work out to be able to train their bodies for the heat like the players do. Some are obese. Some have other health problems that are exacerbated by the heat. It's really not a big deal that the band doesn't wear full uniforms for the first couple games of the season.
 

DawgNsuds

Senior
Jun 4, 2007
964
708
93
I was about to post the same thing. The b!tching about the band not wearing full uniforms in the extremely hot early season games needs to stop. The band members aren't athletes. Many of them don't work out to be able to train their bodies for the heat like the players do. Some are obese. Some have other health problems that are exacerbated by the heat. It's really not a big deal that the band doesn't wear full uniforms for the first couple games of the season.
absolutely we should, Saturday was brutal and they sit in the hottest part of the stadium and that doesn't even take in consideration the pregame requirements and activites.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Anon1726869725

Colonel Kang

Heisman
Sep 29, 2022
46,807
89,451
113
I can't wait for the class action lawsuit against half the SEC for making their band members wear uniforms early in the season***

LSU, Texas, A&M, Florida, Bama, etc all better watch out
 

DawgTown Blues

Freshman
Aug 31, 2022
62
70
18
I can't wait for the class action lawsuit against half the SEC for making their band members wear uniforms early in the season***

LSU, Texas, A&M, Florida, Bama, etc all better watch out
I’m not sure if this is sarcasm, but in case it isn’t, would you prefer the result in the article? I’m pretty sure we pride ourselves on taking care of people, but maybe I’m mistaken.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,892
2,809
113
Can we stop the complaining now?
Is there a thread on this board presently where someone was complaining that the band was in shorts on the hottest night game in quite some time? I cannot find it if so.

Edit: Also, it appears the Iowa band was in t-shirts and shorts, so whatever the point of this post was, isn't applicable because they weren't in uniforms.
 
Last edited:

DawgTown Blues

Freshman
Aug 31, 2022
62
70
18
Is there a thread on this board presently where someone was complaining that the band was in shorts on the hottest night game in quite some time? I cannot find it if so.

Edit: Also, it appears the Iowa band was in t-shirts and shorts, so whatever the point of this post was, isn't applicable because they weren't in uniforms.
Not sure how you became All-Conference on SPS without knowing the disdain this board has for our band not wearing uniforms in the early season games. As a matter of fact, just last week, it was included in the thread about the biggest complaints after the weekend.

And I’m aware the Iowa band wasn’t in uniforms. They still referenced the heat as an issue.

So yes. It’s very applicable.
 
Last edited:

HotMop

All-American
May 8, 2006
8,591
7,348
113
Not sure how you became All-Conference on SPS without knowing the disdain this board has for our band not wearing uniforms in the early season games. As a matter of fact, just last week, it was included in the thread about the biggest complaints after the weekend.

And I’m aware the Iowa band wasn’t in uniforms. They still referenced the heat as an issue.

So yes. It’s very applicable.
Don't crawfish, you didn't know what uniform they were wearing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,892
2,809
113
Not sure how you became All-Conference on SPS without knowing the disdain this board has for our band not wearing uniforms in the early season games. As a matter of fact, just last week, it was included in the thread about the biggest complaints after the weekend.

And I’m aware the Iowa band wasn’t in uniforms. They still referenced the heat as an issue.

So yes. It’s very applicable.
I’m well aware of the disdain and have occasionally participated in it having survived my junior high and high school years in a wool uniform.

The point is, nobody was complaining AFTER THE ONE GAME WE’VE HAD about the band not wearing uniforms.

And if we get a cool snap in three weeks and get a high of 75 for a night game against Missouri, I damn well might say that the band could have been in uniform.

But nobody was complaining about this thing right now.
 

VET

Redshirt
Feb 19, 2009
229
15
18
I was about to post the same thing. The b!tching about the band not wearing full uniforms in the extremely hot early season games needs to stop. The band members aren't athletes. Many of them don't work out to be able to train their bodies for the heat like the players do. Some are obese. Some have other health problems that are exacerbated by the heat. It's really not a big deal that the band doesn't wear full uniforms for the first couple games of the season.

As a dad of a couple of high school band kids I have to stand up for them. They work incredibly long, tedious hours under the sun. They are drilling in July and August and are either practicing, performing, or traveling right through November. I had no idea how much work they put in until I became a band parent.

No, I'm not saying they are puking their guts out during three-a-days while Coach Red screams at you with Levi Garrett breath, but these kids put in tons of time. It's dedication and it's taxing and I admire them doing it all all. The last thing I'd want to do is sit in the afternoon sun blowing my lungs out.

Now if we could get the PA to stop playing music over them....
 

skip dog

All-Conference
Nov 15, 2005
1,428
1,186
93
I didn't read the article, but, I would have to guess that there may have been a underlying, or undiagnosed heart issue with this young man.

Whatever the case may be, I genuinely hope he was doing what he loved, and God speed to him and prayers to his family and friends.

No doubt those band folk all over the country put the work in to do their talent for others, and they can get a break on the unis in this heat.......
 

DawgTown Blues

Freshman
Aug 31, 2022
62
70
18
I’m well aware of the disdain and have occasionally participated in it having survived my junior high and high school years in a wool uniform.

The point is, nobody was complaining AFTER THE ONE GAME WE’VE HAD about the band not wearing uniforms.

And if we get a cool snap in three weeks and get a high of 75 for a night game against Missouri, I damn well might say that the band could have been in uniform.

But nobody was complaining about this thing right now.
Who said they were?
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
Is there a thread on this board presently where someone was complaining that the band was in shorts on the hottest night game in quite some time? I cannot find it if so.

Edit: Also, it appears the Iowa band was in t-shirts and shorts, so whatever the point of this post was, isn't applicable because they weren't in uniforms.
Not applicable? He guy died from the heat in light clothing. Imagine saying well one died in shorts, Let's dress em all in full covered thick *** wool! Are you serious?

Let's also say:

Hydrating has to start days before exposure and specifically leading up and throughout the event if you are going to be exposed to that kind of heat. You better not be ill or with a hangover either. Southern people hydrate on auto-pilot. They just do it instinctively but we also die from heat exposure. I know I got in trouble playing golf one day after a particular libatious night.

These northern kids have not seen this kind of heat and would have a bigger problem.
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
Don't crawfish, you didn't know what uniform they were wearing.
Kid already died, do you not care at all? Can you not see that full uniforms would not have made it worse.

How about this as a solution: We got how many different uniforms for Players. Why don't be buy cooler uniforms that have a good look for hot days that would satisfy both needs? Just a little more money? Right?
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,892
2,809
113
Not applicable? He guy died from the heat in light clothing. Imagine saying well one died in shorts, Let's dress em all in full covered thick *** wool! Are you serious?

Let's also say:

Hydrating has to start days before exposure and specifically leading up and throughout the event if you are going to be exposed to that kind of heat. You better not be ill or with a hangover either. Southern people hydrate on auto-pilot. They just do it instinctively but we also die from heat exposure. I know I got in trouble playing golf one day after a particular libatious night.

These northern kids have not seen this kind of heat and would have a bigger problem.
The whole context of this stupid post is people perpetually complaining about the band not being in full uniforms (despite, as mentioned, nobody having complained about the MSU band being in full uniforms last Saturday). The Iowa guy, God rest his soul, was not in a full uniform.....thus, it's not relevant to this evergreen complaint. It could have been anybody at that stadium.
 
Last edited:

DawgTown Blues

Freshman
Aug 31, 2022
62
70
18
The whole context of this stupid post is people perpetually complaining about the band not being in full uniforms (despite, as mentioned, nobody having complained about the MSU band being in full uniforms last Saturday). The Iowa guy, God rest his soul, was not in a full uniform.....thus, it's not relevant to this evergreen complaint. It could have been anybody at that stadium.
You’re actually making my argument for me. Thank you.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,148
9,486
113
Not applicable? He guy died from the heat in light clothing. Imagine saying well one died in shorts, Let's dress em all in full covered thick *** wool! Are you serious?

Let's also say:

Hydrating has to start days before exposure and specifically leading up and throughout the event if you are going to be exposed to that kind of heat. You better not be ill or with a hangover either. Southern people hydrate on auto-pilot. They just do it instinctively but we also die from heat exposure. I know I got in trouble playing golf one day after a particular libatious night.

These northern kids have not seen this kind of heat and would have a bigger problem.
They may not see as much of it, but I've been to MN in August once and it felt no different than it did when I left MS. Hot!
 
  • Like
Reactions: o_Hot Rock

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
The whole context of this stupid post is people perpetually complaining about the band not being in full uniforms (despite, as mentioned, nobody having complained about the MSU band being in full uniforms last Saturday). The Iowa guy, God rest his soul, was not in a full uniform.....thus, it's not relevant to this evergreen complaint. It could have been anybody at that stadium.
We all see different things, but people definitely complain about them not wearing uniforms in the heat every single year. Just because you are not aware and never personally seen the complaints, that doesn't mean it isn't a very real thing happening every summer.

We really need to take these warnings seriously, and I find your dismissal of this weird—not alarming, just a weird hill to die on. I mean it's hot as freak out there and a kid has died for goodness sake.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DawgTown Blues

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,707
12,444
113
The only argument I see is you making the argument that you're arguing something different than you actually argued.
Jennifer Aniston Fighting GIF
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,707
12,444
113
Why does any band wear uniforms?

made of wool?

w/ feathers and plumes and cords and doo dads?

and spats?

I don't ever recall anyone at any game I've ever been to say "those are some damn fine looking band uniforms"
 
  • Like
Reactions: mcdawg22

DawgTown Blues

Freshman
Aug 31, 2022
62
70
18
Why does any band wear uniforms?

made of wool?

w/ feathers and plumes and cords and doo dads?

and spats?

I don't ever recall anyone at any game I've ever been to say "those are some damn fine looking band uniforms"
Most local high schools have actually gone away from the wool uniforms for more dorked up versions of morph suits.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,892
2,809
113
We all see different things, but people definitely complain about them not wearing uniforms in the heat every single year. Just because you are not aware and never personally seen the complaints, that doesn't mean it isn't a very real thing happening every summer.

We really need to take these warnings seriously, and I find your dismissal of this weird—not alarming, just a weird hill to die on. I mean it's hot as freak out there and a kid has died for goodness sake.
I don't know where you're getting that I'm not aware and never have seen it, I specifically stated that I have occasionally been a part of them. This post was made on the Tuesday after the first home game, and nobody since the game ended Saturday has complained about the band not being in uniform. Good Lord some of you people suck at understanding context. The board is being chastised for comments that are made after home games that weren't made after this one and only home game this season.

And I'm not dismissing the kid died.....it sucks that he did, but this whole STUPID thing is about BAND UNIFORMS, which the kid WAS NOT WEARING. There was probably about 70,000 people at Kinnick Stadium dressed approximately the same as this kid. It sucks that he died, but it doesn't have anything at all to do with band uniforms,
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
Yes, a many many bands have gone to synthetic fiber uniforms but they are still meant for colder weather not hot summers.

Carrying instruments and marching in the heat is far harder than sitting in the stands with cold beer
I don't know where you're getting that I'm not aware and never have seen it, I specifically stated that I have occasionally been a part of them. This post was made on the Tuesday after the first home game, and nobody since the game ended Saturday has complained about the band not being in uniform. Good Lord some of you people suck at understanding context. The board is being chastised for comments that are made after home games that weren't made after this one and only home game this season.

And I'm not dismissing the kid died.....it sucks that he did, but this whole STUPID thing is about BAND UNIFORMS, which the kid WAS NOT WEARING. There was probably about 70,000 people at Kinnick Stadium dressed approximately the same as this kid. It sucks that he died, but it doesn't have anything at all to do with band uniforms,
This whole thread was started because of people do complain about the band not wearing uniforms in this heat. You may not have heard them or even read about it but it does happen every year and was a reoccurring topic on this message board. Go to any HS game and you will hear idiots saying it. My kid was in the band and every year we had to deal with stupid people saying it. My wife was a band booster president and even had people showing up at meeting angry about it.

The post was about a kid dying and bringing up the point that should end that argument of wearing band uniforms in this heat. It didn't. Why?

You say he wasn't wearing a uniform so his death had nothing to do with uniforms. Duh, but how do you miss it would have been worse with one on? I am not sure who is dumber, you or me for arguing with an idiot.
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
Yes, a many many bands have gone to synthetic fiber uniforms but they are still meant for colder weather not hot summers.

Carrying instruments and marching in the heat is far harder than sitting in the stands with cold beer

This whole thread was started because of people do complain about the band not wearing uniforms in this heat. You may not have heard them or even read about it but it does happen every year and was a reoccurring topic on this message board. Go to any HS game and you will hear idiots saying it. My kid was in the band and every year we had to deal with stupid people saying it. My wife was a band booster president and even had people showing up at meeting angry about it.

The post was about a kid dying and bringing up the point that should end that argument of wearing band uniforms in this heat. It didn't. Why?

You say he wasn't wearing a uniform so his death had nothing to do with uniforms. Duh, but how do you miss it would have been worse with one on? I am not sure who is dumber, you or me for arguing with an idiot.
I can't stop dammit!! I am the idiot...

Spectator comparison to Band members is not even close. Fans are never marching and carrying instruments for hours before the game, marching at halftime and playing during the game. Hauling all that equipment, playing, marching creates more heat. Uniforms in the summer are dangerous and should never be worn in the heat.

Now your point of that kid dying still has nothing to do with uniforms since he wasn't even wearing one right? Wrong!!! It has everything to do with uniforms as the uniforms would create even more heat and would kill more and more kids. How is that you can not get that point?
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,892
2,809
113
Carrying instruments and marching in the heat is far harder than sitting in the stands with cold beer

This whole thread was started because of people do complain about the band not wearing uniforms in this heat. You may not have heard them or even read about it but it does happen every year and was a reoccurring topic on this message board. Go to any HS game and you will hear idiots saying it. My kid was in the band and every year we had to deal with stupid people saying it. My wife was a band booster president and even had people showing up at meeting angry about it.

The post was about a kid dying and bringing up the point that should end that argument of wearing band uniforms in this heat. It didn't. Why?

You say he wasn't wearing a uniform so his death had nothing to do with uniforms. Duh, but how do you miss it would have been worse with one on? I am not sure who is dumber, you or me for arguing with an idiot.

You haven't read a damn word I've said in this thread. You tell me I may not have heard them or read about it while quoting me saying "I don't know where you're getting that I'm not aware and never have seen it, I specifically stated that I have occasionally been a part of them."


I can't stop dammit!! I am the idiot...

Spectator comparison to Band members is not even close. Fans are never marching and carrying instruments for hours before the game, marching at halftime and playing during the game. Hauling all that equipment, playing, marching creates more heat. Uniforms in the summer are dangerous and should never be worn in the heat.

Now your point of that kid dying still has nothing to do with uniforms since he wasn't even wearing one right? Wrong!!! It has everything to do with uniforms as the uniforms would create even more heat and would kill more and more kids. How is that you can not get that point?
I was in band, I wore wool uniforms in August heat. I know what it's like. I know it's a good thing we don't wear them when it's 95 degrees. When it's 75 degrees at night and we're still not wearing them I reserve the right to have an opinion about it.

Again, it sucks the kid died, but his death had nothing to do with a band uniform. If he'd worn a parka over a hoodie and ski pants, he probably would have died too, but that's not what he was wearing.

For God's sake I AM NOT ARGUING THAT THE BAND SHOULD WEAR UNIFORMS IN 95 DEGREE WEATHER. I'm just saying nobody was complaining about it, and yall felt the need to come get onto us for what nobody complained about. It's like coming on and saying see that's why somebody doesn't get more carries as a running back who didn't freakin' play. You're saying "yeah, see, I told you", to NOBODY.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor