Any word on our starting Qb?

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Maybe I missed it sorry if so but it's gotta be Costello right? He's had lots of time to recover from the concussion and whatever the hell is wrong with his arm. Not sure he's had enough time to recover from his horrendous decision making and lack of any foot speed whatsoever but at least he can throw the ball farther than 5 yards. More game 1 KJ please.

 

bruiser.sixpack

Redshirt
Aug 13, 2009
7,346
0
0
Might not be able to hold onto both Texas QBs. Both UT-Austin QB recruits decommitted, so they will go hard after a 4 star QB from the State of Texas.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Nobody dares cross the Pirate in recruiting. Texas is a scared bunch of cucks. They'll go after the starter at Tijuana HS before they go after Leach's Qbs.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
My guess would be Robertson will supplant Rogers but I think Leach will redshirt him the first year and then allow a competition and I expect him to be pretty good
 

bruiser.sixpack

Redshirt
Aug 13, 2009
7,346
0
0
My guess would be Robertson will supplant Rogers but I think Leach will redshirt him the first year and then allow a competition and I expect him to be pretty good

If Robertson comes to State, he will be the starter. He is having an unbelievable year, averaging over 380 yards a game passing. And unlike our current QBs, Robertson is actually averaging positive yards running the ball, I think like 8 yards rushing per game.****
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Rogers had a nice game but he needs to throw it down the field more. Like 12-15 times more. He attempted one pass over 15 yards and it went for a touchdown. It was a beautiful pass too. He seems very reluctant to trust any throw over 6 yards and I realize that's the easiest pass the defense is giving him but we have to stretch the field vertically. It's not a choice. The offense doesn't work if you don't challenge the back 3 quadrants of the defense. Still though it was a greatly improved performance from him. His offensive line had a big part in that as well so kudos to them too.
 

Hump4Hoops

Redshirt
May 1, 2010
6,611
13
38
What you're describing is what Costello tried to do

but, surprise surprise, throwing into triple coverage often results in interceptions.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
No it's not. That's just poor decision making and tunnel vision on Costello's part. Not every receiver is in heavy coverage. The defense doesn't have 18 guys.
 

BigDawg0074

Senior
Oct 12, 2016
1,367
718
113
The Costello thing was a fun thought but I have zero confidence in him throwing more TDs than INTs. I think he’s finished as a Bulldog starter barring an injury to Will Rogers.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
If you're not going to you can't run the Air Raid.
You need to learn how (and when) to pick your battles. You've chosen the day after the best game we've played all year since LSU, and you're trying to clown on things that don't even make sense. It's best to be objective, and call things as they are, rather than just picking a side and towing that line.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
This thread wasn't started today. Tenure and the Clown shows brought it back up as a pie in the face style towards me but we still lost so idk I guess they just really love 40 dump of passes instead of winning games.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
If he keeps hitting those underneath passes of 6-8 yards the the D will begin to play up opening those longer throws. Just take what the D gives you and the rest will take care of itself.
 

Dawg1976

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2012
8,391
2,921
113
I'm guessing Costello is done with football due to his concussion history. He might serve as a backup the last couple of games but not expecting much more than that.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
I know its difficult, but try to remember that was his second start at QB in the SEC. Last year he was playing at Brandon High. He improved quite a bit game one to game two. I think he is doing good considering that and no spring ball
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,708
19,596
113
Rogers had a nice game but he needs to throw it down the field more. Like 12-15 times more. He attempted one pass over 15 yards and it went for a touchdown. It was a beautiful pass too. He seems very reluctant to trust any throw over 6 yards and I realize that's the easiest pass the defense is giving him but we have to stretch the field vertically. It's not a choice. The offense doesn't work if you don't challenge the back 3 quadrants of the defense. Still though it was a greatly improved performance from him. His offensive line had a big part in that as well so kudos to them too.

It depends on coverage. Ga went man coverage two times and the TD you talked about was one of them. Best pass all season. You take what they give you. Why take chance down field when there is a guy wide open every play five yards down field.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Yup. He had a nice game and I said so in this thread already. I was pleased with Rogers performance and his ability to get the ball out quickly and for the most part avoid the pressure. Moving forward I'd like to see him challenge the defense vertically more. He tried it one time vs UGA and it was a beautiful td. He was hot. Shoulda tried it more and we win. I put that on Leach not him.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation