Alright - let’s settle this..

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
Grayton, Watercolor, Seaside or Rosemary? Other?

Where does SPS vacation at if they’re headed to 30A and why?
 

basedawg

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
1,037
813
113
Not sure you could go wrong for any of the four listed. We stay in the seaside area thanks to dawgstudent for recommending a condo to me years ago.
 

stateu1

All-Conference
Mar 21, 2016
3,159
1,191
113
Grayton, Watercolor, Seaside or Rosemary? Other?

Where does SPS vacation at if they’re headed to 30A and why?

We like the eastern end of Scenic 98. Far enough from Destin proper and far enough away from the swankiness of 30A.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,159
9,504
113
Grayton, Watercolor, Seaside or Rosemary? Other?

Where does SPS vacation at if they’re headed to 30A and why?

Rosemary / Seacrest area. You can park your car and never get back in it if you like. Plenty of walking distance eating. You can find everything from a flat for 2 to a huge multi-family house.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,937
11,383
113
Grayton Beach State Park. You essentially have one mile of private beach in the middle of all the madness.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,967
714
113
Stay in Blue Mountain Beach and use each for certain reasons. We bike through each in the morning and go to each to eat but enjoy Blue Mountain for the location the most.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,687
12,205
113
I have a friend that has a house in Grayton so we stay there every now and then. We have also rented a townhome in Gulf Place before and liked it. Ideally I like being in the Grayton Area because you can bike everywhere if you’d like.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Grayton if you want a little more quiet and either seaside or rosemary if you’d rather be closer to things.

I personally am not a 30-a fan, especially if you’re coming from the west. Pass a lot of good beaches/towns on the way to 30-a... Pensacola, FWB, Destin
 

DawgInThe256

All-Conference
Feb 18, 2011
1,572
1,408
83
Haven't stayed in Grayton, although I agree Grayton Beach State Park is a good place to get away for a day. We've stayed in the other 3 as well as Watersound, all of which are good.

Seaside seems to be the busiest area, although during Covid they've made the town square pedestrian only which is a big improvement. I would definitely stay more toward the back, as the town square area can be really noisy at night. They've implemented online ordering at most of the Airstream trailer food trucks, so you can just order from your phone and walk up from the beach to grab lunch.

We've also found that for any of these areas, renting beach chairs is worth it. As I mentioned, it's quieter the further back you stay. You don't want a half mile hike with chairs, umbrellas, and coolers.
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
I'm a Grayton guy myself. Although the water can be a little hit or miss. Borago is so good. So is Black Bear Coffee.
 

atomic dawg

Junior
Apr 4, 2019
262
235
43
It's the female's version of a "Yeti" sticker .

I miss when 30A wasnt a "thing". I had relatives that lived in Pensacola back in the 70s and 80s. We'd go visit them in the summer and ride down to that area. Sometimes we'd get a motel and stay a night or two. It was minimal traffic. No condos or gated communities. A few mom and pop motels and restaurants scattered along the way. Miles of beaches where you hardly saw anybody. And now... its very "wine thirty" and artisanal.

That being said, I dont think you can go wrong with any of them.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,687
12,205
113
I miss when 30A wasnt a "thing". I had relatives that lived in Pensacola back in the 70s and 80s. We'd go visit them in the summer and ride down to that area. Sometimes we'd get a motel and stay a night or two. It was minimal traffic. No condos or gated communities. A few mom and pop motels and restaurants scattered along the way. Miles of beaches where you hardly saw anybody. And now... its very "wine thirty" and artisanal.

That being said, I dont think you can go wrong with any of them.
I’m in a little different situation than most. I can drive to Opal Beach in between Navarre and Pensacola any time I want to and experience a beach that is not crowded. I like going to 30A and bar hopping on a bike. We go to Grayton and there are times we don’t set foot on the beach, but again that’s because we have access to one all of the time. We also go to islands and beaches in Santa Rosa sound instead of Crab Island or the other packed boater destinations.
 

fishwater99

Freshman
Jun 4, 2007
14,073
54
48
Blue Mountain or Grayton. Be sure to drop by the Grayton Beer Brew Pub, owned by A River City boy.
Also AJ's has some good night life and great steaks..
 

MedDawg

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
5,552
1,109
113
Which one’s closest to Flora-Bama?

Phoenix X in Perdido Beach, FL (Not close to 30A). Right next door to the Flora-Bama. I've considered staying there for a weekend just to stumble in and out to my condo.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,193
5,731
113
Grayton, Watercolor, Seaside or Rosemary? Other?

Where does SPS vacation at if they’re headed to 30A and why?

Number of douche bags per acre seems to be much lower in Grayton compared to others you listed. I like the area that I'm not sure if it's Sea Grove or Sea Crest, but down by Cafe 30A.

But I generally agree that if you're coming from Mississippi or otherwise west, going to 30A isn't worth the extra driving. You can get as nice or nicer beaches starting basically from Perdido Key and going east, and you can find stuff busier or less busy. And as far as I can tell from my limited visits, the crowd at Seaside is no longer distinguishable from Destin.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,159
9,504
113
Anybody else like collecting 30A stickers and sticking them on the oldest beaters you can find at the Madison Walmart? You know, just to make Botox lady in the Range Rover re-think her choices...
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,937
11,383
113
Phoenix X in Perdido Beach, FL (Not close to 30A). Right next door to the Flora-Bama. I've considered staying there for a weekend just to stumble in and out to my condo.

I've stayed at Phoenix X. Happened to have some folding chairs in the truck and ended up sitting on the top deck of the parking garage overlooking the Bama and watched the festivities several nights. You could literally spit on the drunks. If memory serves me though Phoenix X is on the Alabama side.
 

TimberBeast

Senior
Aug 23, 2012
1,142
566
113
We were in Rosemary back in June and it was as miserable as the last time we were there a couple years before. If you want to be surrounded by 20,000 people in a small space that’s the place to go. Now that was in June so right now would obviously not be as bad. I would stay West of Seaside for sure. We had been going to Rosemary for the last 20+ years and it’s just nowhere near the same as it used to be.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,937
11,383
113
I thought you people went to Orange Beach.
I do, own a spot there thinking it would be my retirement spot but it's getting pretty crowded. Too many people in too small of a space. The infrastructure isn't keeping up with the growth.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
I find the quality of the grey poupon at Grayton to be much finer. Thats merely a personal preference, but really, if you don't enjoy the finer things why bother ??
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,243
2,188
113
I am just glad to see none of y'all mentioned my spots, and lets keep it that way. I go to the beach to be away from people. Your sunscreen chases off all the fish.
 

Watchdog999

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2020
22
0
0
Naturewalk in Seagrove Beach right next to Watercolor and Seaside :: 5 minute golf cart ride :: ride bikes to either or Grayton Beach also and eat at Grayton Seafood Company
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,243
2,188
113
I’m in a little different situation than most. I can drive to Opal Beach in between Navarre and Pensacola any time I want to and experience a beach that is not crowded. I like going to 30A and bar hopping on a bike. We go to Grayton and there are times we don’t set foot on the beach, but again that’s because we have access to one all of the time. We also go to islands and beaches in Santa Rosa sound instead of Crab Island or the other packed boater destinations.

Shhhh, don't tell anybody about the miles and miles of open beach there.

Otherwise 17ers will ruin my fishing.
 

PapaDawg

Senior
Nov 19, 2014
823
762
93
We like to stay at The Pearl in Rosemary Beach during April. Less people, great food, and cold drinks. We have at least one meal at Cafe Tango and make a day trip to Destin and spend few hours at AJ’s Bimini Bar!
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar