About that Malzahn Buyout

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
Cant imagine caring that much about football but cant imagine having 22 mil to burn either.
 

MaroonOldCrow

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
588
482
63
Not confirmed who it is, but the suspicion is that you'll see iPhone 12's marketed more aggressively.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Well I thinks it’s clear that after RockKickinSandPoundinSOB got banned here, he decided to take his big donations to Auburn**
 

Forrest4Moore

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2011
610
169
43
Can you spell it out? Not inside the iPhone or Auburn circle.

More than likely neither of the ones mentioned in this thread. Apple CEO Tim Cook is an Auburn Grad, but isn’t invested in the program to that level. The Yellawood guy is, but it’s more known here in Birmingham that the Harbert family makes more of the athletic decisions. They’re the richest family in Alabama. Probably close to $5Billion, and obsessive Auburn folk.
 
Last edited:

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,902
6,737
113
I cant imagine having the mindest that paying $22mm to a coach I want fired is well spent money.

$22 million to go towards improving technology in public schools? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards research for increasing crop production in arid countries? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards funding scholarships in perpetuity to help reduce burdensome student debt? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to fund increased health initiatives, education, and access in rural areas? Nah 17 that.


Instead, give it all to a guy that you don't want to coach a college football team.




Its his money and obviously he can spend it how he sees fit.
Doesn't mean itll make sense to others though. College football is structurally 17ed up.

I hope to accumulate 5% of that buyout, someday. That'd be sweet.
 

Maroonthirteen

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
1,975
0
0
I cant imagine having the mindest that paying $22mm to a coach I want fired is well spent money.

$22 million to go towards improving technology in public schools? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards research for increasing crop production in arid countries? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards funding scholarships in perpetuity to help reduce burdensome student debt? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to fund increased health initiatives, education, and access in rural areas? Nah 17 that.


Instead, give it all to a guy that you don't want to coach a college football team.




Its his money and obviously he can spend it how he sees fit.
Doesn't mean itll make sense to others though. College football is structurally 17ed up.

I hope to accumulate 5% of that buyout, someday. That'd be sweet.

.... money down the toliet. The odds of them replicating what Alabama and Saban are doing... are very very low. Hell, I'll predict they still don't win over 50% v Bama over the next 10 years. Then they'll fire the next guy and repeat.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,902
6,737
113
.... money down the toliet. The odds of them replicating what Alabama and Saban are doing... are very very low. Hell, I'll predict they still don't win over 50% v Bama over the next 10 years. Then they'll fire the next guy and repeat.

For sure.

And this is really Auburn(as well as college football in general) creating the situation in the first place. Dont create such large buyouts. Dont pay so much money in the first place to the head coach.
The counter argument is that Auburn needs to keep up with Bama, UGA, LSU, etc. Well sure they do for facilities and assistant coaches- but they are already a top tier coaching location, so where the 17 will Gus go? The odds of Auburn losing him to someone else are low just because the contract buyout is $10mm max for example. Like what the 17- a $22mm buyout?!?! Why? Why in the hell is that even a thing?

Actual money is being thrown around like a bunch of 6 year olds playing monopoly. Its insane.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,130
10,677
113
Paying $21.5M out of his own pocket to buy out a college football coach’s contract would really go against Tim Cook’s public persona.

Im not saying he didn’t do it. Just if he did then reality may be different than perception.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,130
10,677
113
Yeah, this right here ^. Y’all know what BL Harbert calls $21.5M? .....Last week’s profits.
 

MaroonOldCrow

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
588
482
63
Paying $21.5M out of his own pocket to buy out a college football coach’s contract would really go against Tim Cook’s public persona.

Im not saying he didn’t do it. Just if he did then reality may be different than perception.


I agree with you; I was just passing along speculation from the guy that told me there was a single buyout payer. I do know he knows multiple people in their administration and associated with their football program, which is where the single payer information came from. The Cook idea was just his personal guess. He did tell me a few weeks ago that Gus was gone, then followed up early last week before we played them (I was giving him crap about them losing to us and firing Gus) that it didn't matter if we won or not, Auburn began contacting potential replacements after the USCe game and the final decision to let Gus go was made immediately after the Iron Bowl.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,903
17,205
113
I’m sure he’s given more than that

$22 million to go towards improving technology in public schools? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards research for increasing crop production in arid countries? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards funding scholarships in perpetuity to help reduce burdensome student debt? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to fund increased health initiatives, education, and access in rural areas? Nah 17 that.
.
To those causes via taxes. Not his fault those elected officials piss away more than that daily. How much have you donated to those causes on top of what you pay in taxes?
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,068
2,816
113
Does it come with any sort of charging device? They can be charged on a charging pad (I think), but do they expect you to used your previous charger? I've got an 8 Plus and I'll probably hang on it until it's no longer serviceable.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,068
2,816
113
More than likely neither of the ones mentioned in this thread. Apple CEO Tim Cook is an Auburn Grad, but isn’t invested in the program to that level. The Yellawood guy is, but it’s more known here in Birmingham that the Harbert family makes more of the athletic decisions. They’re the richest family in Alabama. Probably close to $5Billion, and obsessive Auburn folk.

$5 Billion is more than Trump's net worth (mentioned in the fall as about $4 Billion). That's unthinkably well off.

Will Malzahn get it all at once or in yearly payments? He might hope for all at once because taxes for the rich will rise next year.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,068
2,816
113
Agree. I can't even imagine paying an active coach $5M/year, but we're doing it. College football is out of hand.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,068
2,816
113
If I had any association with Auburn University or their athletic program I'd be upset.
 

Chesusdog

All-American
May 2, 2006
5,134
5,557
113
Does it come with any sort of charging device? They can be charged on a charging pad (I think), but do they expect you to used your previous charger? I've got an 8 Plus and I'll probably hang on it until it's no longer serviceable.

You can buy them separately.
 
Sep 25, 2013
1,627
0
0
I cant imagine having the mindest that paying $22mm to a coach I want fired is well spent money.

$22 million to go towards improving technology in public schools? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards research for increasing crop production in arid countries? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to go towards funding scholarships in perpetuity to help reduce burdensome student debt? Nah 17 that.
$22 million to fund increased health initiatives, education, and access in rural areas? Nah 17 that.


Instead, give it all to a guy that you don't want to coach a college football team.




Its his money and obviously he can spend it how he sees fit.
Doesn't mean itll make sense to others though. College football is structurally 17ed up.

I hope to accumulate 5% of that buyout, someday. That'd be sweet.

Dick Cross said on the radio the other day that they rarely get the buyout money from boosters. They get the money to hire a new coach from boosters and use money in their normal budget to fire the old coach. I don’t know if it’s true but they have made enough ****** hires at ole miss that he should be an expert on what it takes to get rid of one.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,068
2,816
113
Dick Cross said on the radio the other day that they rarely get the buyout money from boosters. They get the money to hire a new coach from boosters and use money in their normal budget to fire the old coach. I don’t know if it’s true but they have made enough ****** hires at ole miss that he should be an expert on what it takes to get rid of one.

Presumably he means income from TV, the conference, ticket sales, etc., and not taxpayer funding for a state university.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,559
31,819
113
I doubt if even Auburn had $10,000,000 sitting around in the regular budget to make the down payment on the buyout that is due in 30 days. They could fund the remaining $10,000,000 over 4 years from the regular budget though.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Recruiting 2028 4-star RB Zaiden Jernigan talks Mississippi State visit
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football 2027 Mississippi State commit Julian "Juju" McDonald shuts down recruitment
  5. 05 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State