Abdul Ado in the Portal

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
No you should read that as Ado wants to start. We ain't benching Brooks.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
The last 2 years were not counted towards eligibility due to Covid. But Ado was getting into Ontario Harper territory. Wasn’t he the one that played until he was eligible for AARP?
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,867
6,681
113
I swear I read a month ago or so that he wasnt coming back.
This is like announcing a full moon has arrived.
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,611
7,827
113
Not sure that we’ll ever know, but I’ll say again that Howland seemed to be a lot more convinced than fans were back in April that certain players wouldn’t be back. The numbers just weren’t adding up to be working towards bringing in 5-6 new faces all while we only knew of a couple guys for sure leaving the program
 

anon1787432961

Heisman
Mar 4, 2008
15,854
14,328
113
our starting 5 next year? I'm lost

I think it was on another post here.

DJ Jeffries
Tolu Smith
Iverson Molinar
Garrison Brooks
Deivon Smith?
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
The surprising part isn’t that he’s leaving. It’s that he’s continuing to play college ball.

It seems like he found a short list of schools that are stronger than MSU in whatever field he’s pursuing for his second PhD. Or, it could be that Dr. Ado has to finally complete his residency and the transfer portal was a requirement for his continued eligibility.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
I think it was on another post here.

DJ Jeffries
Tolu Smith
Iverson Molinar
Garrison Brooks
Deivon Smith?

Deivon Smith is gone. The kid we just picked up in the portal from NC State could be the starting PG, or we may see Molinar start at the point with Fountain or Matthews starting at the three.
 

anon1787432961

Heisman
Mar 4, 2008
15,854
14,328
113
Deivon Smith is gone. The kid we just picked up in the portal from NC State could be the starting PG, or we may see Molinar start at the point with Fountain or Matthews starting at the three.

So its a combination of the below...

Shakeel Moore
DJ Jeffries
Tolu Smith
Iverson Molinar
Garrison Brooks
Derek Fountain
Cameron Matthews
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,611
7,827
113
I realize that I should let it go, but the more I see that roster, the more baffled I get about Stewart leaving. I would’ve liked our chances just starting with Tolu, Iverson, and DJ. Then you give Cam and Fountain another year of development while bringing in guys that can start on day 1 like Jeffries and Brooks? That might’ve been an SEC title contender

All’s obviously not lost now, but I just feel like Stewart coming back would’ve been the best decision for all involved. Wasn’t mine to make though
 
Aug 15, 2006
1,924
555
113
As some have mentioned, DJ's decision to go pro could have been family needs and/or bad advice from an agent. Whatever it is, it's done. Sucks, because the lineup with DJ would have been phenomenal. Still very strong, just unsure about the chemistry.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
If Fountain’s game grows as much this offseason as he he did during this past season then he is going to be a player. I love his length and he has a little Winsome Frazier in him. He’s got some dawg in him.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Stewart was rated only 4 spots from the 1st round. It only takes one team willing to move him up into late first round for it to be the right decision for him.
 

Lettucexxxx

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2012
4,562
1,047
113
I realize that I should let it go, but the more I see that roster, the more baffled I get about Stewart leaving. I would’ve liked our chances just starting with Tolu, Iverson, and DJ. Then you give Cam and Fountain another year of development while bringing in guys that can start on day 1 like Jeffries and Brooks? That might’ve been an SEC title contender

All’s obviously not lost now, but I just feel like Stewart coming back would’ve been the best decision for all involved. Wasn’t mine to make though

DJ leaving is just so typical MSU. It really is.
It was obvious to even the most casual MSU fan that this was going to happen.

The second we might actually separate ourselves from our own self...we look in the mirror, while simultaneously shitting on our own feet. Great, transfers. Wow.

Do we still know if Ben can coach or recruit? All’s I know is that something volatile happens every year with this dude. I’m trying to see the forest through the trees but year after year my mind gets stuck on the stumps.

Year 7, are we? Cant keep our best players on the roster long enough to build any sort of chemistry or recruiting momentum. Same 20 win team without the glue.

College BBall is tanking so badly.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,867
6,681
113
Do we still know if Ben can coach or recruit? All’s I know is that something volatile happens every year with this dude.
Take a look at college basketball. Transfers are at an all time high yet again. It's like 15 years in a row, and this year is especially rough since everyone is immediately eligible.

Teams all over are losing bench players, role players, and starters.

Each season coaches now have to recruit high schoolers, transfers, and their own current players.
 

anon1787432961

Heisman
Mar 4, 2008
15,854
14,328
113
DJ leaving is just so typical MSU. It really is.
It was obvious to even the most casual MSU fan that this was going to happen.

The second we might actually separate ourselves from our own self...we look in the mirror, while simultaneously shitting on our own feet. Great, transfers. Wow.

Do we still know if Ben can coach or recruit? All’s I know is that something volatile happens every year with this dude. I’m trying to see the forest through the trees but year after year my mind gets stuck on the stumps.

Year 7, are we? Cant keep our best players on the roster long enough to build any sort of chemistry or recruiting momentum. Same 20 win team without the glue.

College BBall is tanking so badly.

Have you even seen the transfers we got? Total team upgrade. I'm sure we will be listed among the top schools that benefited from the transfer portal.

DJ Jeffries alone will be one of the best players we've ever had.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,126
1,684
113
Have you even seen the transfers we got? Total team upgrade. I'm sure we will be listed among the top schools that benefited from the transfer portal.

DJ Jeffries alone will be one of the best players we've ever had.

He is one of the highest recruits. Idk if he is the best players. He never blew anybody away at Memphis. He lost playing time then got some back. Let’s hope he excels at State and realizes his full potential.
 

fishwater99

Freshman
Jun 4, 2007
14,073
54
48
Have you even seen the transfers we got? Total team upgrade. I'm sure we will be listed among the top schools that benefited from the transfer portal.

DJ Jeffries alone will be one of the best players we've ever had.

That's a bold Statement...

The Renardo Sidney Show was the highest recruit ever, DJ is up there. DJ will be good, but not the best player ever for sure.
I'll take Dampier, Malone, Howell or Dontae Jones for best player ever.
 

anon1787432961

Heisman
Mar 4, 2008
15,854
14,328
113
That's a bold Statement...

The Renardo Sidney Show was the highest recruit ever, DJ is up there. DJ will be good, but not the best player ever for sure.
I'll take Dampier, Malone, Howell or Dontae Jones for best player ever.

Agreed. I'm guessing top 20 with a chance to be top 10. We will see.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
He will be behind (and this in no particular order) 1. Bailey Howell 2, Jeff Malone 3. Darryl Wilson 4. Erick Dampier 5. Dontae 6. Lawrence Roberts 7. Timmy Bowers 8. Varnado 9. J-Money 10. Q Spoon 11. Mario Austin 12. Derrick Zimmerman

Cant see him passing any of these, and I’m probably missing some before 1996 that I never really watched but he has a chance to be in the discussion in that 13-15 range.
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,611
7,827
113
If true, then it makes complete sense. Even mid 2nd round picks typically end up with guaranteed 2-way contracts worth a decent amount of money these days, so I’d completely understand the decision at that point.

I just have a bad feeling that he has just as much if not greater chance of not getting picked at all as he does of going just outside the 1st round. I’m usually one that feels like a kid should go pro the minute he has a chance to make some cash, but this is a unique case for me where I think DJ could’ve made a ton of money for himself by coming back, having an all-SEC type season, and locking himself into the 1st round. I get it though... he has a chance to make more money than he’s ever seen, and someone told him that he’s ready, so here we are
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,401
31,587
113
Yeah. I'm not really liking much what college sports is becoming. A new random team of free agents every year with little continuity from year to year.
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,611
7,827
113
You’re not at all wrong, but I guess the only thing I can say is that this crap has to be getting beyond frustrating for everybody. Even the blue bloods, and I don’t think it’s just an MSU thing

My wife is a diehard Memphis fan which made things a little interesting during the NIT, and right after they wiped the floor with us, she started getting all kinds of texts/calls about how excited everyone was for next year. Within 48 hours, four kids including Jeffries announce their intent to transfer, and they’re all like WTF? Memphis will be fine, mind you, but I legit felt like they had a chance to be Top 10 level next year, and I don’t at all anymore because half their team has ditched them.

I’ll say again that college basketball has a huge problem. The expansion of the NBA’s g league along with overseas leagues are part of the problem, but this damn portal is a nuclear disaster to the game. The NCAA had to shut that crap down, but in all likelihood, that just means that they’ll either do nothing or somehow actually make it easier to ditch your team in the coming years
 
Aug 15, 2006
1,924
555
113
What site?

I saw him mentioned on one page as 44th overall where they have him as a SG/SF. He is too small to play SF in the NBA and needs better ball skills to play SG. This one on the official NBA website has no mention of DJ at all within the all candidates of the first two rounds. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-lottery-simulation-and-full-2-round-results

I am a huge DJ fan and want him to have a great career, but he needs another year plus of developing the skills to play pro. His athleticism is off the charts, but his ball control needs a lot of work.
 
Aug 15, 2006
1,924
555
113
Renaldo was #3 highest recruit for MSU. Monta Ellis and Malik Newman are 1/2.
It's truly amazing the number of high recruits MSU has had to end up as duds; Vernon Goodridge, Schnider Herald, Walter Sharpe, and even Nick Weatherspoon (#6 overall) as his exit from MSU is a head scratcher.
 

maroonmania

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2008
11,347
1,116
113
I realize that I should let it go, but the more I see that roster, the more baffled I get about Stewart leaving. I would’ve liked our chances just starting with Tolu, Iverson, and DJ. Then you give Cam and Fountain another year of development while bringing in guys that can start on day 1 like Jeffries and Brooks? That might’ve been an SEC title contender

All’s obviously not lost now, but I just feel like Stewart coming back would’ve been the best decision for all involved. Wasn’t mine to make though

Yep, DJ's whole situation is just puzzling. Abandons the chance to be the alpha dog on a VERY good team to go pro when there is a good chance he doesn't even get drafted by the NBA. Don't understand why a guy would be agreeable to redshirting as a FR if he was that eager to exit school for pro ball somewhere. Not that he would have been ever expected to use it, but DJ still had 3 more years of eligibility left given this past year didn't count. Just crazy when we can't get a guy like DJ to come back while a place like Bama gets all their big dogs to come back and parlays that into an SEC championship and a pretty good run in the NCAA tournament. We always seem to be locked into what could have been. Still think we will have a good team but not what we would have had with DJ back. Just lose too much offensive firepower with him jumping ship.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,867
6,681
113
Renaldo was #3 highest recruit for MSU. Monta Ellis and Malik Newman are 1/2.
It's truly amazing the number of high recruits MSU has had to end up as duds; Vernon Goodridge, Schnider Herald, Walter Sharpe, and even Nick Weatherspoon (#6 overall) as his exit from MSU is a head scratcher.

Cant forget the at one time top recruit in the nation- John Riek!
Him paired with the other at one time top recruit- Renardo Sidney.

That combo in the paint together...oof. That woulda been the highest rated post tandem in college history and the most overrated post tandem in college history. They were on the team together for a year even.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
  3. 03 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again