AAC > Big East

7th Cir. Cat

Redshirt
Jul 25, 2006
2,171
9
23
I was hoping Memphis would make the tourney. Their two last second losses against Houston look pretty good now.
 

NU Houston

Senior
Apr 12, 2010
6,542
522
113
I wonder if any of Sampson's players go to class.
Do Baylor's players go to class? Arkansas's? Oregon State's? The generalization you're making could be applied to lots of schools in this tourney, I bet.

I honestly don't know how many of the UH players take their studies seriously. However, I do know that their best player, Quintin Grimes, came from an academically strong high school in the Houston suburb where I live. He seems like a good kid.
 

Catreporter

Senior
Sep 4, 2007
5,059
580
113
Do Baylor's players go to class? Arkansas's? Oregon State's? The generalization you're making could be applied to lots of schools in this tourney, I bet.

I honestly don't know how many of the UH players take their studies seriously. However, I do know that their best player, Quintin Grimes, came from an academically strong high school in the Houston suburb where I live. He seems like a good kid.
Glad to hear it. I was just referencing Sampson's previous stint at Indiana where half the team was flunking out.
 
Jan 25, 2005
3,341
233
52
Glad to hear it. I was just referencing Sampson's previous stint at Indiana where half the team was flunking out.
Was half the team flunking out or were there recruiting violations for phone calls to recruits that forced him to step down? I don't recall the academic issues.
 

Catreporter

Senior
Sep 4, 2007
5,059
580
113
Was half the team flunking out or were there recruiting violations for phone calls to recruits that forced him to step down? I don't recall the academic issues.
There were a bunch of his players who were flunking out in addition to the phone call problem. That's why Indiana was so bad under Crean's first two seasons after Sampson left.
 

Purple Pile Driver

All-Conference
May 14, 2014
29,031
4,222
113
An athletic scholarship is no more than an opportunity to attend that school at no cost. If a player doesn’t use the opportunity of a lifetime to get a meaningful degree. It’s usually on them. If they elect to get a degree in basket weaving or never graduate, shame on them. The problem I have is when programs intentionally steer kids to BS classes to keep them eligible. If the program does what they are supposed to do and player doesn’t graduate, oh well. Maybe parents and/or players will notice and the player will take their talents elsewhere.
 
Wildcat Report

Latest

  1. 01 Wildcat Report 'The atmosphere was unbelievable': Visiting prospects rave about the new Ryan Field
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting WR Darion Moseley backs off pledge to Arkansas, has Big Ten and SEC schools on his list
  3. 03 Wildcat Report Notebook: Braun looks to keep focus on Ball State after big Penn State win
  4. 04 On3 Football David Braun on Big Ten not receiving same respect as SEC in AP Poll: 'Check the receipts'
  5. 05 Wildcat Report The 3-2-1 after Northwestern's demolition of Penn State