Pooper,
It's going to get a lot worse. OSB and plywood are sold by the MSF (1000 Square Feet) at the wholesale level. To get a per sheet price you multiply the MSF price by .032 (4*8= 32 sf).
So $31/sheet is $968.75/MSF.
Currently 7/16 OSB is 990/MSF by the truckload at the mill before freight. It will then be marked up by a big two step distributor or broker and sold to a small lumber yard or by a big lumber dealer/box store and sold to builders or do it yourself customers.
The $31/sheet price you have is probably working off old inventory costs, because today you would pay more than that for a truckload before freight, if you were a big enough buyer to have contracts even allowing you to buy. Effectively, retail/builder pricing is usually going to lag wholesale by 30-120 days depending on the situation.
Wholesale pricing in the Southeast can be seen in this chart.
View attachment 19615
Dorn is right.. Everything is booked up into the summer. A new mill is coming online in Canada in Q3, but that's not going to help much at all.
Here is a text from a friend of mine that works for a big OSB producer and distributor.
View attachment 19616
$1350/msf for a unit of 7/16 OSB to a lumberyard in East Tx. That's $43.20 per sheet wholesale. If they marked it up 15%, it would be over $50 per sheet retail.
It's going to keep going up. Lowe's and HD and local lumberyards that are part of buying groups may have old contracts that are keeping prices low for now, but it will continue to rise.
I knew $40/sheet was possible. But it is stupid. Now I am wondering if it will get to$50. For reference 5-6 years ago I was selling truckloads at $165/msf or about $5.25 a sheet wholesale.
I contracted on my new build in September and locked in the price. Currently same model/same neighborhood/same lot is up 21% and we just broke ground. Once spring demand hits, prices will climb. I may have 30% equity on a new build from a semi custom builder before I move in... Usually new builds are like new cars, you lose a little at first.
It's just gotten silly.