2 point conversion after 2nd touchdown against Ohio St

Kirk is God

Junior
Oct 21, 2025
211
301
63
SIAP….

I am curious to know why Kirk went for 2 after that touchdown to make it a 17 point game? If you miss you’re down 19, and now a field goal and two touchdowns and two-2 point conversion just ties the game. If you kick the 1 you’re only down 18, and the aforementioned situation now wins you the game.

I know this is splitting hairs because the game was pretty much out of reach.
 

Jonesy5960

Heisman
Feb 1, 2023
6,657
13,728
113
SIAP….

I am curious to know why Kirk went for 2 after that touchdown to make it a 17 point game? If you miss you’re down 19, and now a field goal and two touchdowns and two-2 point conversion just ties the game. If you kick the 1 you’re only down 18, and the aforementioned situation now wins you the game.

I know this is splitting hairs because the game was pretty much out of reach.

But why show your hand? Save it for later when they don’t know what you might run
I think you're probably putting more thought into it than Kirk did given the score.
 

DukeSlater

All-American
Jul 2, 2023
2,233
5,043
113
Because you are down 25 points and you got to do it sometime. My question is why the throw to the OT. Thank god they had 12 guys on the field for a do over.
A similar pass play to the tackle eligible worked perfectly @ Penn State several years ago. I like the concept, but the execution was horrible. But it didn't count, so it gives them some game tape to fix it for the next time.
 

Outbackbowl2017

All-Conference
Dec 4, 2016
1,795
2,932
113
KF showing fans he’s trying to be “aggressive” going for two while playing a qb that is risk averse in HB that only came out due to injury. Yes, Heck led the team down the field to score a td but it was basically garbage time. I just wish Iowa could be more dynamic on offense but the old captain won’t allow it by playing to not lose the game with his conservative style of play. KF 1.0
 

Demger

Senior
Jul 17, 2020
540
771
93
I'd rather have a team have aggressive play calls during drives that could lead to 6. An aggressive play call to a lineman for a 2 pt. conversion is not what I call aggressive.
 

LetsGoHawks83

All-American
Mar 20, 2015
3,408
6,765
113
KF showing fans he’s trying to be “aggressive” going for two while playing a qb that is risk averse in HB that only came out due to injury. Yes, Heck led the team down the field to score a td but it was basically garbage time. I just wish Iowa could be more dynamic on offense but the old captain won’t allow it by playing to not lose the game with his conservative style of play. KF 1.0

I don't think Kirk does anything to "show the fans".... And he shouldn't.

I would have liked to do an onside kick after the TD. Down 3 scores with 8ish mins left. What do you have to lose? Who cares if you setup a short field for OSU and they tack on a pointless touchdown?
 

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,236
7,417
113
I don't think Kirk does anything to "show the fans".... And he shouldn't.

I would have liked to do an onside kick after the TD. Down 3 scores with 8ish mins left. What do you have to lose? Who cares if you setup a short field for OSU and they tack on a pointless touchdown?
I don't think Kirk does anything to "show the fans".... And he shouldn't.

I would have liked to do an onside kick after the TD. Down 3 scores with 8ish mins left. What do you have to lose? Who cares if you setup a short field for OSU and they tack on a pointless touchdown?
🤷‍♂️
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rambler Hawk

Kirk is God

Junior
Oct 21, 2025
211
301
63
I don't think Kirk does anything to "show the fans".... And he shouldn't.

I would have liked to do an onside kick after the TD. Down 3 scores with 8ish mins left. What do you have to lose? Who cares if you setup a short field for OSU and they tack on a pointless touchdown?
I’m 50/50 on the onside kick there. Maybe try to get a stop because there’s 8 min left and then if you score again then try onside. Percentages are so low on onside kicks. I’ll try Kirk to make the right decision there.
 

DukeSlater

All-American
Jul 2, 2023
2,233
5,043
113
KF showing fans he’s trying to be “aggressive” going for two while playing a qb that is risk averse in HB that only came out due to injury. Yes, Heck led the team down the field to score a td but it was basically garbage time. I just wish Iowa could be more dynamic on offense but the old captain won’t allow it by playing to not lose the game with his conservative style of play. KF 1.0
"Garbage time"? LOL

Ohio State's only loss this season was a game in which it led 23-3 entering the fourth quarter. No way in hell was Ohio State playing soft or playing reserves. That 75-yard TD drive Hecklinski directed was the most impressive QB play I've seen from a Hawkeye since Nate Stanley and Iowa's demolition of Ohio State nine years ago. Every single pass was delivered quickly and accurately with a tight spiral. The 2-pt. conversion pass was an impeccable display of timing and placement that was NFL quality. By contrast, Brown missed wide open receivers all day, and his passes were so wobbly that they even reviewed one to see if it was tipped. Nope. Just another wounded duck from KF's favorite game manager.

Even the Press-Citizen reluctantly admitted that OSU had its starting defense in there. Remember kids' day? Heck outplayed Brown by a million miles, but it didn't matter, cuz KF--as usual--had his heart set on Brown, the ultimate game manager. Why do you think KF kept insisting that what happened last year--Brown losing the Indiana game--would have NO impact on this year's QB decision. The only player that statement helped was Brown. Hecklinski moved past him after that Indiana game failure, and Heck finished the season as the backup. You'd think that would have given HIM the edge this season. But no. Hell no. It was Brown all the way. Hecklinski is a playmaker. Brown is a caretaker who committed two huge turnovers vs. Ohio State. Take those two TOs away, and it's a whole different game.

Everybody knows KF has whiffed on every QB decision he's ever made, including Brad Banks, who went on to be the Heisman runner-up, a shock to KF. So why would this year be different?
 

MeetTheFerentzes

All-American
Sep 6, 2022
2,717
5,354
113
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Basketball Cooper Koch, Kael Combs talk at Big Ten Media Days
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Basketball Ben McCollum talks at Big Ten Media Days
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Washington's starters as recruits
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Throwback Thursday: Looking back at Iowa's starters as recruits
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Olympics Iowa and Ukraine women's wrestling reunite ahead of U23 Worlds