PGA Tour’s changing model comes into focus
The PGA Tour’s plan for major change around the 2028 season is coming into focus. In a meeting at the Truist Championship in Charlotte two weeks ago, the tour presented players with the concept of a plan that would include two tiers, or “tracks,” as CEO
Brian Rolapp mentioned earlier this year.
In the plan presented to players, according to sources with knowledge of the meeting, the first track would include 23 elevated tournaments: 16 regular season PGA Tour events, three FedExCup Playoff events and then four majors. The regular-season tournaments would be expected to have 120-man fields under the plan, the people said.
Included in that first track are expected to be at least three new markets. Rolapp has talked at length about the need to hit bigger markets, and sources said Boston, Philadelphia, Denver, Nashville and San Francisco have been under consideration. SBJ last week reported on additional interest from the tour in the Seattle market.
Meanwhile, the PGA Tour is still in the process of mapping out its 2027 schedule. As of Tuesday, 13 tournaments (majors included) have had their dates confirmed for the 2027 season through the PGA Championship in May. Aside from exiting Hawaii altogether, the calendar looks mostly similar to 2026.
The biggest potential change could come to the tour’s Florida swing. Currently, no dates have been confirmed for the Arnold Palmer Invitational, Cadillac Championship, Cognizant Classic or Valspar Championship, all tournaments in Florida in the spring.