Mark Mitchell Officially Enters Portal

ScWildcat3

All-Conference
Sep 27, 2005
891
1,369
93
Because numerous other players, including SEC players, entered the portal last spring in anticipation of legal action resulting from the 5-for-5 rule that EVERYONE knew was coming.

I'd pay good money to see you make that argument in front of a judge.
Be an easy win. How can someone who legally at the time can’t play anymore be in a portal for guys who have eligibility. Can’t just argue it was in anticipation. The same argument could be made that the 22 kids were anticipating everyone getting 5 years so no need to enter portal at that time. NCAA can’t win the stuff they got now so this would be easy. So punish the kids who went about it the right way and not the kids who tried to circumvent the system. Also the TRO gives a new portal window and it’s only an SEC rule so antitrust would shoot that down in a heartbeat
 

HipTer

Senior
Apr 11, 2012
1,135
933
113
Because numerous other players, including SEC players, entered the portal last spring in anticipation of legal action resulting from the 5-for-5 rule that EVERYONE knew was coming.

I'd pay good money to see you make that argument in front of a judge.
I think his argument is much better from a legal perspective than trying to argue what "EVERYONE knew."
 
  • Like
Reactions: *Fox2Monk*
Jun 22, 2023
185
410
63
Which players transferred between two SEC schools, were not in the portal by the SEC's April deadline, and were still able to play the immediate season?
Exactly what the other guy said. If my eligibility were up, I probably wouldn’t have entered the portal. Some did and kudos to them, but at the time, it wasn’t truly an option so can’t really hold that against someone.
 

Lameguy

Senior
Mar 20, 2026
215
444
63
Because numerous other players, including SEC players, entered the portal last spring in anticipation of legal action resulting from the 5-for-5 rule that EVERYONE knew was coming.

I'd pay good money to see you make that argument in front of a judge.
If the courts are going to override the ncaa and give an extra year of eligibility then doesn’t it make sense that they would also override the portal rule?
 
Oct 23, 2025
488
633
93
Exactly what the other guy said. If my eligibility were up, I probably wouldn’t have entered the portal. Some did and kudos to them, but at the time, it wasn’t truly an option so can’t really hold that against someone.
Entering the portal was an option. Lots of seniors did it. You can't argue it wasn't an option. And you absolutely can hold players accountable for not following the SEC transfer rules. Ignorance is not a valid legal argument.
 
  • Like
Reactions: *Fox2Monk*

ScWildcat3

All-Conference
Sep 27, 2005
891
1,369
93
Entering the portal was an option. Lots of seniors did it. You can't argue it wasn't an option. And you absolutely can hold players accountable for not following the SEC transfer rules. Ignorance is not a valid legal argument.
It technically wasn’t an option. How do you enter a portal with 0 eligibility? And how do you enroll and take a scholarship for a sport you have 0 eligibility? Some entered but how does the ncaa approve a kids portal entry with 0 eligibility? If they are acknowledging it then they are acknowledging They think you should get another year correct?
 
Jun 22, 2023
185
410
63
Entering the portal was an option. Lots of seniors did it. You can't argue it wasn't an option. And you absolutely can hold players accountable for not following the SEC transfer rules. Ignorance is not a valid legal argument.
Agree to disagree. I think we will find that it’s going to be difficult to enforce when rules have dramatically changed since then. But you may be right as well. Time will tell and we can revisit either way.
 

Lameguy

Senior
Mar 20, 2026
215
444
63
Entering the portal was an option. Lots of seniors did it. You can't argue it wasn't an option. And you absolutely can hold players accountable for not following the SEC transfer rules. Ignorance is not a valid legal argument.
TarHeel boy, you‘re out of your lane here, if the ncaa wins the appeal those seniors that entered the portal will be ineligible just like the ones who didn’t. So what’s your point.
 
  • Like
Reactions: *Fox2Monk*
Oct 23, 2025
488
633
93
If the courts are going to override the ncaa and give an extra year of eligibility then doesn’t it make sense that they would also override the portal rule?
The judge in the Colorado case they granted the TRO to all 2022 players clarified that she was not altering any transfer rules. Under her case all rules remained in effect.

That ruling was Stayed today, which shows how quickly these TRO's can be overturned.

Now the Kentucky case against the NCAA that temporarily granted Mitchell eligibility today, also briefly reopened the portal for the litigants. But it did not alter or overrule the current SEC interconference transfer rules.


What it basically boils down to is Mitchell will have a better chance at eligibility at a non SEC school. There's also the possibility he is ruled ineligible at any school he picks since the NCAA is appealing. It's up to Mitchell to decide which situation he feels best about. If Kentucky is offering the most NIL money, I'd tell him to commit to UK. Since there is a non-zero chance he never gets to play this coming season, take the best NIL package you can get. You still get paid even if you never play.
 

ScWildcat3

All-Conference
Sep 27, 2005
891
1,369
93
The judge in the Colorado case they granted the TRO to all 2022 players clarified that she was not altering any transfer rules. Under her case all rules remained in effect.

That ruling was Stayed today, which shows how quickly these TRO's can be overturned.

Now the Kentucky case against the NCAA that temporarily granted Mitchell eligibility today, also briefly reopened the portal for the litigants. But it did not alter or overrule the current SEC interconference transfer rules.


What it basically boils down to is Mitchell will have a better chance at eligibility at a non SEC school. There's also the possibility he is ruled ineligible at any school he picks since the NCAA is appealing. It's up to Mitchell to decide which situation he feels best about. If Kentucky is offering the most NIL money, I'd tell him to commit to UK. Since there is a non-zero chance he never gets to play this coming season, take the best NIL package you can get. You still get paid even if you never play.
If he comes to uk the sec rule won’t matter. Sankey is bluffing like always.
 
Oct 23, 2025
488
633
93
It technically wasn’t an option. How do you enter a portal with 0 eligibility? And how do you enroll and take a scholarship for a sport you have 0 eligibility? Some entered but how does the ncaa approve a kids portal entry with 0 eligibility? If they are acknowledging it then they are acknowledging They think you should get another year correct?
There is no rule saying you have to have eligibility to enter the portal. Players with no eligibility left entered the portal in the spring of 2025 too.

So again, you're wrong. Mitchell had the option to enter the portal this past spring, he chose not to, and now that is a roadblock in his path towards eligibility if he picks UK.
 
Oct 23, 2025
488
633
93
Some entered but how does the ncaa approve a kids portal entry with 0 eligibility?
The NCAA doesn't "approve" portal entries.

The transfer portal is just an online database that players put their name into to signal they intend to transfer.

It really seems like you don't know a great deal about the subject we are discussing.
 
Oct 23, 2025
488
633
93
So if Mitchell plays at UK this season are you getting disbarred from the internet?
I'm not arguing he will or won't. I'm discussing the factual details of his case. But it does seem like at least a few posters here don't even know the absolute basics about the transfer portal and the different rules pertaining to it.
 
Oct 23, 2025
488
633
93
I know it what it is ,It's a law that restricts what you earn or basically your rights,I still don't understand why your so worried about it ,are you afraid he'll.light you up
In 4 career games against UNC Mark Mitchell is averaging 7.5 points and 6.5 rebounds.

I'm not worried about any of the players suing for eligibility. I'm just discussing the details of their cases. Mitchell is a unique case bc he has to overcome NCAA rules and SEC rules.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: kygrandpa

ScWildcat3

All-Conference
Sep 27, 2005
891
1,369
93
The NCAA doesn't "approve" portal entries.

The transfer portal is just an online database that players put their name into to signal they intend to transfer.

It really seems like you don't know a great deal about the subject we are discussing.
It makes it so NCAA coaches can contact you meaning you are a possible “student-athlete”. That means the ncaa acknowledges you can go to college basically.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kygrandpa

Lameguy

Senior
Mar 20, 2026
215
444
63
I'm not arguing he will or won't. I'm discussing the factual details of his case. But it does seem like at least a few posters here don't even know the absolute basics about the transfer portal and the different rules pertaining to it.
Put out all the facts that you want, basically we’re in uncharted water, everything is still to be determine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: *Fox2Monk*

Mike-D

Heisman
Jul 14, 2001
50,439
75,603
113
The only way the SEC or NCAA as a whole can stop Mitchell to Kentucky would be through the legal channels now that Judge Edwards made his decision. They need a court ruling. They can't stop him otherwise just because they don't like the idea of these kids coming back.

My thing is, why would a court rule against it?

Covid kids got an extra year. Now you've got the 5 for 5 rule. Only 1 class got left out, right? Wouldn't make much sense to me, but I don't really know anything other than what I've read on the boards.
 
Oct 23, 2025
488
633
93
It makes it so NCAA coaches can contact you meaning you are a possible “student-athlete”. That means the ncaa acknowledges you can go to college basically.
No, the individual athletes determine if they want coaches contacting them. They can click "Do Not Contact" if they don't want it to happen.

Again, you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

Players with no eligibility have been entering the portal in the spring for multiple years now. The NCAA doesn't "approve" anything with portal entries.
 

Lameguy

Senior
Mar 20, 2026
215
444
63
No, the individual athletes determine if they want coaches contacting them. They can click "Do Not Contact" if they don't want it to happen.

Again, you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

Players with no eligibility have been entering the portal in the spring for multiple years now. The NCAA doesn't "approve" anything with portal entries.
The Ky case reopened the portal today, so unless it gets overturned then I would assume the SEC doesn’t have a leg to stand on.
 
Last edited:

ScWildcat3

All-Conference
Sep 27, 2005
891
1,369
93
No, the individual athletes determine if they want coaches contacting them. They can click "Do Not Contact" if they don't want it to happen.

Again, you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

Players with no eligibility have been entering the portal in the spring for multiple years now. The NCAA doesn't "approve" anything with portal entries.
All do not contact does is make the teams talk to the agents. Again as a perspective athlete. If they are out of eligibility like ncaa claims then the coaches should be punished for taking commits from ineligible players.
 
  • Like
Reactions: *Fox2Monk*

wildcatdon

Heisman
Oct 17, 2012
10,597
13,571
113
The judge in the Colorado case they granted the TRO to all 2022 players clarified that she was not altering any transfer rules. Under her case all rules remained in effect.

That ruling was Stayed today, which shows how quickly these TRO's can be overturned.

Now the Kentucky case against the NCAA that temporarily granted Mitchell eligibility today, also briefly reopened the portal for the litigants. But it did not alter or overrule the current SEC interconference transfer rules.


What it basically boils down to is Mitchell will have a better chance at eligibility at a non SEC school. There's also the possibility he is ruled ineligible at any school he picks since the NCAA is appealing. It's up to Mitchell to decide which situation he feels best about. If Kentucky is offering the most NIL money, I'd tell him to commit to UK. Since there is a non-zero chance he never gets to play this coming season, take the best NIL package you can get. You still get paid even if you never play.
Boy this north carolina boy sure doesnt want to see Mitchell play for us. Why dont you go back to your team's board?
 
Jul 24, 2026
311
391
63
No, the individual athletes determine if they want coaches contacting them. They can click "Do Not Contact" if they don't want it to happen.

Again, you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

Players with no eligibility have been entering the portal in the spring for multiple years now. The NCAA doesn't "approve" anything with portal entries.
@jedwar
 

Dward13

All-Conference
Feb 5, 2008
10,320
1,754
72
I guess you can summon a mod but the guy is not breaking one single rule.

He’s filling the devil’s advocate role and doing it pretty respectfully. Some of this stuff i’m curious about and have thought could be a problem myself.

Sure does seem like there’s still quite a few hurdles potentially for Mitchell to be able to play.

That said the ncaa has lost so many of the court rulings the last few years…I feel pretty confident all of these kids are eventually going to be allowed to play.

Honestly UNC kind of opened this can of worms back in the early/mid 2010’s when they were threatening legal action against the ncaa if they were punished for the afam scam. It showed the ncaa was terrified of a lawsuit. Seems they were smart to be afraid as we’re seeing how that would play out now.
 

*Fox2Monk*

Heisman
Jun 10, 2009
47,168
86,316
113
My thing is, why would a court rule against it?

Covid kids got an extra year. Now you've got the 5 for 5 rule. Only 1 class got left out, right? Wouldn't make much sense to me, but I don't really know anything other than what I've read on the boards.
It makes zero sense to grant eligibility to every class since this has been legal, but this one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mike-D
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Kenny Minchey has 'best week of practice' amid 'elite camp' -- but 'growing pains' are inevitable
  2. 02 KSR WATCH: Will Stein, Kentucky Coordinators Recap Scrimmage 2
  3. 03 KSR Kentucky Reserve RB Tovani Mizell Suffers Another Season-Ending Injury
  4. 04 KSR Alex Afari no longer practicing with Kentucky Football
  5. 05 KSR Mark Mitchell has applied to UK admissions office, per Matt Jones