Welcome to Jackson

Lettucexxxx

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2012
4,562
1,047
113
 

was21

Senior
May 29, 2007
10,003
636
113
doubtful he'll be there that long...not Jackson but JSU
 
Last edited:

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,061
2,814
113
Was that after he stole the pizza? He's a better actor than Peyton and Saban, BTW.
 

DoomSlayer

Senior
Jan 13, 2018
1,053
436
83
I remember in the spring of 1997 when I was a freshman in high school we went to a band competition in Jackson and stopped at the mall first. One of the buses got broken into and a lot of valuable instruments were stolen. The bus driver saw it happen and the band director was like "Why didn't you do something?!" The bus driver just looked at him, took a long drag off his cigarette and said "They pay me to drive the bus, not to be Batman."
 

SirBarksalot

Junior
May 28, 2007
2,994
284
83
I remember in the spring of 1997 when I was a freshman in high school we went to a band competition in Jackson and stopped at the mall first.."

Assuming NorthPark Mall?

real Jackson OG’s remember shopping at Jackson Mall. Is Orange Julius still there?
Then the rise of Metrocenter. Talk about a swift rise/hard fall...
 

DoomSlayer

Senior
Jan 13, 2018
1,053
436
83
I'm not sure. I just remember the band director saying later on that we ended up at the wrong mall, that we were supposed to go to a different one.
 

SirBarksalot

Junior
May 28, 2007
2,994
284
83
I'm not sure. I just remember the band director saying later on that we ended up at the wrong mall, that we were supposed to go to a different one.

Hah...you my son, had to have been at Metrocenter.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,511
31,745
113
Probably because he hasn't bought a house yet. There are a lot of real nice ones in NW Jackson alongside Hanging Moss Rd.
 

SirBarksalot

Junior
May 28, 2007
2,994
284
83
Real Jackhole OGs remember Meadowbrook Mall.

Of course, but it was more of a “shopping center”, not really a mall.
Used to go to the theater there quite often.
Had some interesting Saturday matinees, with something like Godzilla movies...good times.

Before I actually moved there, I remember going shopping at a downtown Jackson department store (must have been McRaes) that was on 3 or more floors...and the old (Sears I think) which became the library.
Coming from Tupelo, I felt like I was in the Big City.
Jackson was nice back then.
 
Last edited:

MagicDawg

Senior
Nov 11, 2010
1,001
975
113
McRae's Meadowbrook was a large standalone department store. Excellent. Much of our Christmas shopping happened there.
I remember seeing movies at DeVille and at Ellis Isle. When Meadowbrook Cinema 6 came around it was stunning. 6 theaters in the same building?
I remember getting back-to-school clothes and stuff at Jackson Mall (JCPenney, etc.) when I was a kid. The place seemed gigantic. I do remember Orange Julius.
Metrocenter - that bubble elevator looked like Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. The place was massive and important -- like, take a field trip to go see it important.
Northpark was the new upscale place when it opened and while it really took over quick, I can remember weekends in my youth where you could go to both malls and walk around in the same day/evening and see people you knew everywhere.
Those days are long gone. Sad.
 

SirBarksalot

Junior
May 28, 2007
2,994
284
83
I remember seeing movies at DeVille and at Ellis Isle
I saw the first StarWars at Deville. It was a friggin palace of a theater...HUGE. I think some mom dropped off 4-6 of us 10yr old kids ...who does that any more?
DeVille was also the Rocky Horror place.
Can’t remember who, but someone (older) told me they were at DeVille to see The Exorcist when JPD came in and confiscated the film...not sure if that’s true.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/41927

Sorry to derail OP.
 
Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,954
1,781
113
Piccadilly every Sunday after church for the first 18 years of my existence. We lived off Baily Avenue, on Glendale.
 

Dawg1979

Redshirt
Jun 23, 2015
1,546
0
0
McRae's Meadowbrook was a large standalone department store. Excellent. Much of our Christmas shopping happened there.
I remember seeing movies at DeVille and at Ellis Isle. When Meadowbrook Cinema 6 came around it was stunning. 6 theaters in the same building?
I remember getting back-to-school clothes and stuff at Jackson Mall (JCPenney, etc.) when I was a kid. The place seemed gigantic. I do remember Orange Julius.
Metrocenter - that bubble elevator looked like Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. The place was massive and important -- like, take a field trip to go see it important.
Northpark was the new upscale place when it opened and while it really took over quick, I can remember weekends in my youth where you could go to both malls and walk around in the same day/evening and see people you knew everywhere.
Those days are long gone. Sad.


Same here. grew up south of Jackson. was like going to NYC or something as a kid. the question, after the movie on Ellis, did you eat at PoFolks? hot damn that place was great as a 10 yr old.
 

WrapItDog

Senior
Aug 23, 2012
4,336
791
113
Deion “Coach Prime” Sanders offered a reward for the return of his stolen items. The thief tried to claim the reward by filling out the form, including phone number. They got him, and Deion got his stuff back.”
 

Villagedawg

All-Conference
Nov 16, 2005
2,528
2,632
113
I think OJ is gone, but last I was there you could still get Luke warm liver and onions at Piccadilly. The play area at Penny’s is long gone.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor