We do this a lot...New Orleans

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,306
6,696
113
I’ll be there for the next 5-6 days on St Charles. I tried the gumbo shop a couple weeks ago after seeing it talked about all the time on her. Let’s see what you guys got for me. Looking to eat lunch on/close to st charles and 90. Not interested in Dirty Mike’s soup kitchen under 90
 

FQDawg

Senior
May 1, 2006
3,076
618
113
Go eat lunch at High Hat Cafe on Freret Street. It's probably the one place I make sure to hit every time I go back.
 

ArcherSPS

Junior
Aug 22, 2012
3,637
244
63
Liuzza’s by the Track, Parkway Poorboys, Blue Giant, Barrel Proof, Turkey and the Wolf, Union Ramen, Cochon Butcher,
 
Last edited:

BeardoMSU

Redshirt
Jul 9, 2013
788
0
0
Cochon is amazing. Parasols is hands down my favorite poboy place/dive bar. Another good bar to chill at with good food is Tracy's on Magazine.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,306
6,696
113
My friend who lives in the area said Superior and the restaurant at the Pontchartrain Hotel.
Mr Ed’s seafood is right down the block, and it is probably my favorite gumbo from anywhere. I may just eat it all weekend
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,160
5,711
113
My friend who lives in the area said Superior and the restaurant at the Pontchartrain Hotel.
Mr Ed’s seafood is right down the block, and it is probably my favorite gumbo from anywhere. I may just eat it all weekend

So by Superior, do you mean Superior Grill? Or Superior Seafood?

I accidently sent somebody to Superior Grill onetime because I sent them to Superior on St. Charles. And I guess Superior Grill was first, but I while is fine and I get going there if you live in New Orleans and want mexican, I just can't see recommending it to anybody visiting New Orleans.
 

atomic dawg

Junior
Apr 4, 2019
262
235
43
The only thing worth getting at Superior Grill is the margarita during happy hour.

I saw someone mention Parasol's up the thread... I'll second that. Joey K's and Rum House are just a couple of blocks further down Magazine. Both are worth checking out.

Cochon Butcher is definitely worth a visit though.
 

fishwater99

Freshman
Jun 4, 2007
14,073
54
48
The only thing worth getting at Superior Grill is the margarita during happy hour.

I saw someone mention Parasol's up the thread... I'll second that. Joey K's and Rum House are just a couple of blocks further down Magazine. Both are worth checking out.

Cochon Butcher is definitely worth a visit though.


Superior grill used to be a very Happening Happy Hour spot.

Joey K's is great neighborhood food.
 

Junction John

Redshirt
Oct 22, 2014
3,249
0
0
I'd go to Camellia Grill if you are in the area. It's out Carrolton, right by the river. Breakfast there is the truth.
 

SWFLDawg

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
158
0
16
We were just in NOLA for spring break,spent 4 nights in the Garden District, made sure we ate in places we'd never been

Cafe Reconcile in Central City, great gumbo and catfish po boy, but best part - good cause
Coquette on Magazine, amazing 5 course meal with wine pairings
Bearcat for breakfast in Freret District
Cafe Abyssinia on Magazine for Ethiopian and Imperial Wood pecker sno balls next door

Favorite po boys - Radosta's in old Metairie italian beef po boy with onion rings
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,160
5,711
113
I’m guessing seafood. I don’t intend on ever getting Mexican while here

If you don't know, definitely do Superior Seafood. I just made the recommendation and forgot to specify, and then they went to superior grill and were like "why did you recommend slightly above average mexican food in new orleans?" Not sure if they just googled or asked somebody or just drove down St. Charles and stopped at the first one they saw. It's the same ownership group and Superior Grill was first. I would have never given Superior Seafood a try if I had been to Superior Grill first. Superior Seafood is only like ten years old I think (and was a Copelands before that; possibly the original Copelands?) but to me it feels like it's an old school new orleans restaurant.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,678
12,381
113
I'll 2nd "Cafe Reconcile", never had anything bad from there. I was at a fund raiser first time I had their food and it was top shelf. It was mostly non restaurant menu items from their catering menu and was as good as I've had. I also heard some of their graduates speak once and sounds like a great program. In a nutshell they take inner city kids and train them in the food and hospitality business. It starts w/ the basics of how to interview, fill out paperwork, dress, etc. They advance to waiting tables, host/hostess, front of house service, line cooks, dessert/pastry training, etc, etc. They train at the Cafe as well as the catered events they do and upon "graduation" they are assisted w/ finding jobs. A lot of the well known NOLA restaurants support the cause financially as well as hiring their grads. Its about 3 blocks off St Charles between Baronne and Rampart
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State QB Kamario Taylor named Davey O'Brien National QB of the Week
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "No Panic": Mississippi State S Jardin Gilbert on experience and adaptability on defense
  3. 03 Rivals Football Recruiting How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch