Stafford to the Rams.

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
On paper I believe they did, but this team would have won a Super Bowl 2 years ago if they can mustard together 14 points. Detroit may have won the trade asset wise but the Rams made themselves serious Super Bowl LVI contenders. Probably doubled their odds of returning to the SB next year. Still hafta go through Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady next year but if I’m a Rams fan I’m feeling pretty good. Plus a 1st round pick is still a first round pick, but you’re likely looking at picks in the 20-25th range.
 

Bulldog from Birth

All-Conference
Jan 23, 2007
2,555
1,164
113
Goff in 2016 was the last 1st round pick they made. Pretty wild. Won’t have one until 2024 unless they trade back in at sons point before then.
 

msstate7

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2008
10,388
10
38
On paper I believe they did, but this team would have won a Super Bowl 2 years ago if they can mustard together 14 points. Detroit may have won the trade asset wise but the Rams made themselves serious Super Bowl LVI contenders. Probably doubled their odds of returning to the SB next year. Still hafta go through Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady next year but if I’m a Rams fan I’m feeling pretty good. Plus a 1st round pick is still a first round pick, but you’re likely looking at picks in the 20-25th range.

Better hope SF doesn't land Watson
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,562
102
They won the trade but they still need to win with the picks. Jury is still out on that. They need to make like Belichick & the Patriots and maximize them.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
Thing is though how do we know? I haven’t looked up sites that rank these types of things but I’m betting he on average has had a bottom 3rd offensive line for his whole career. He’s had one ultimate weapon in his entire NFL career, Megatron, and he was so disgusted with that franchise that he retired while still in his prime, a franchise ran so 17n bad that Barry Sanders did that exact thing. Think about that, team so horribly ran that you’ve had the best player in the league at 2 positions walk away with thousands of yards never realized. He hasn’t had much of a running game if any most of his career.

Then think about the coaches that he has had to endure. Matt Patricia is the laughing stock of the league, if he didn’t come from the pats I don’t know that he could have landed a job coaching 8th grade 7 on 7 somewhere in South Dakota. I actually liked Jim Caldwell who should have kept his job. Jim Schwartz was a joke as well. Oh, and Stafford is tied with John Elway for 7th overall in 4th Qtr comebacks in NFL history. 1 more than Russel Wilson and Jared Goff combined. And yes I know Stafford has played more games than those two, but he has played 5 years fewer than Elway.

Now compare that to Jared Goff. He has an offensive genius in a head coach. Has had Todd Gurley for most of his career. Very Solid OL, Goff on average has been sacked only about 23 times a season. For comparison Dak was sacked 52 times 3 years ago. Goff also has had one of the top 5-6 WR units his whole career.​
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
It’s a big risk for the Rams, kinda Super Bowl or bust honestly. Otherwise this didn’t make much sense.

For Stafford it’s a much better situation than the black hole that is the Lions. The Rams are excellent defensively and have some weapons on offense. If Stafford can be an improvement from Goff then they are a contender next year.

I don’t recall seeing a young QB fade as quickly as Goff has. Two time pro bowler and has been flat out bad since that awful showing in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. And his new team probably isn’t going to do much to turn his career trajectory around.
 

Upyurs

Redshirt
Nov 24, 2017
453
0
0
This is nuts. No way Stafford is worth one first round pick much less 2 plus another 3rd round. Other than Mahommes, I’m not sure there is another player in the NFL worth this type deal. Gotta be something I’m missing. Huge salary cap savings?
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0

Ironically Goff and Wentz were picked 1 and 2 in the same draft and neither are the best QB from their class.

I’ve never been THAT high on Wentz other than his second year before he got hurt. But the fact that they inserted Nick Foles two years in a row and didn’t miss a beat wasn’t a ringing endorsement of Wentz. Goff looked like a really good QB for a couple of years and then just immediately started sucking. It’s like Belichick broke him in that Super Bowl.
 
Last edited:

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,523
16,273
113
This has to put the clamps on a Watson trade. Houston’s going to say “look at what Goff was worth” and expect even more for him. I’m not sure a team could stomach to give up much more.
 

msudawg200

Junior
Feb 1, 2012
572
333
63
Gotta remember the salary cap impacts as well. Stafford’s deal is team friendly. Goff is overpaid. Both have multiple years left. The Rams had to add more to the deal just to get Detroit to take Goff in return and clear his deal from their salary cap.
 

Upyurs

Redshirt
Nov 24, 2017
453
0
0
This has to put the clamps on a Watson trade. Houston’s going to say “look at what Goff was worth” and expect even more for him. I’m not sure a team could stomach to give up much more.

Think your misunderstanding the trade. Apparently Goff was only worth getting rid of. Rams had to give 2 first rounders and another pick just to get someone to take him.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,523
16,273
113
That’s one perspective. Reality is that the trade as set precedence. Regardless if it was a salary cap off load.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
On paper I believe they did, but this team would have won a Super Bowl 2 years ago if they can mustard together 14 points. Detroit may have won the trade asset wise but the Rams made themselves serious Super Bowl LVI contenders. Probably doubled their odds of returning to the SB next year. Still hafta go through Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady next year but if I’m a Rams fan I’m feeling pretty good. Plus a 1st round pick is still a first round pick, but you’re likely looking at picks in the 20-25th range.

This move should help them ketchup to the rest of the NFC West in terms of QB play.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
This has to put the clamps on a Watson trade. Houston’s going to say “look at what Goff was worth” and expect even more for him. I’m not sure a team could stomach to give up much more.

I sure as hell hope the Rams made this same offer to Houston for Watson and got turned down before offering it for Stafford. If they didn’t, its next level idiotic.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,523
16,273
113
Yeah. That's what I meant. Point being, giving up that much capital for a non-elite, older quarterback sets the bar super high for what the Texas THINK they should get for Watson. Secondly, I think the Rams were the perfect team to do it because they are in salary cap hell. They needed to offload Goff to clear cap just as much as they wanted Stafford.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
They did give up a lot for him but Stafford will be able to put them in a different league than Goff. Goff is not very good period regardless of stats.. Stafford will be special with that team around him. I never understood why Barry Sanders didn't leave Detroit. He might have been great with an offensive line.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Goff average QBR over the past 4 years: 57.1
Stafford average QBR over same period: 61.5

Rams essentially decided that a +4.4 QBR margin was worth two first round picks and one third rounder.

Obviously Stafford is better, but I don’t think he’s worth anywhere near that. Especially considering his age and the fact that injuries have started to catch up with him over each of the past two seasons. There’s an extremely high likelihood that this blows up in the Rams’ face. Even after the trade, they still have the 2nd worst starting QB in their division...and could end up with the worst one depending on what SF does with Garropolo over the offseason.
 
Last edited:

SteelCurtain74

All-Conference
Oct 28, 2019
2,108
3,200
113
Crazy piece of info: After Jared Goff's trade, every QB taken in the 2016 NFL Draft has been cut, traded, or benched ... except one: Dak Prescott. That list includes Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Hackenburg, Cardale Jones, Jeff Driskel, Brandon Allen, Connor Cook, Jacoby Brissett, Kevin Hogan, Nate Sudfeld, Cody Kessler and Brandon Doughtery.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama