Teams
Teams
Fan Sites
Forums
Shows
College
College Football News
College Football Player Rankings
College Football Schedule
College Football Scores
College Football Rankings
College Football Playoff
College Basketball News
Women's Sports
NIL
NIL News
NIL Valuation
NIL Deals
Sports Business
Transfer Portal
Transfer Portal News
NCAA Transfer Portal
Transfer Portal Rankings
Transfer Portal Team Rankings
Recruiting
Football Recruiting
Basketball Recruiting
Database
Team Rankings
Player Rankings
Industry Comparison
Commitments
Recruiting Prediction Machine
High School
High School News
Schools
Rankings
Scores
Draft
NFL Draft
NFL Draft News
Draft By Stars
College Draft History
NBA Draft
NBA Draft News
Pro
NFL
NASCAR
NBA
Sports Predictions
About
About
On3 App
Advertise
Press
FAQ
Contact
Log in
Register
Toggle sidebar
Teams
CFB Schedule
AP Poll
HSFB Rankings
NIL Valuations
Team Recruiting Rankings
Search
New posts
Toggle sidebar
Menu
Install the app
Install
Projecting potential conference realignment if the college sports bill's 20-team caps becomes law
College football's Best and Worst of September: Teams, players, coaches, games, moments & more
Heisman officials see no good options if the 24-team playoff wipes out December's window
Charles Barkley reveals 'weakness' of Auburn: 'We spend so much time worrying about what's happening in Tuscaloosa'
ESPN updates FPI rankings for each Big Ten football team after Week 4
Reply to thread
Forums
West Virginia
Mountaineer Message Board
Pipe Dream or Reality
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Message
<blockquote data-quote="WVUALLEN" data-source="post: 131390086" data-attributes="member: 1112294"><p><a href="https://fishduck.com/2020/03/demise-of-the-pac-12-could-bring-rise-of-the-big16/">https://fishduck.com/2020/03/demise-of-the-pac-12-could-bring-rise-of-the-big16/</a></p><p></p><p><span style="font-size: 22px"><strong>Demise of the Pac-12 Could Bring Rise of the Big16</strong></span></p><p></p><p>A recent article in <a href="https://theathletic.com/1652568/2020/03/04/big-12-conference-expansion-pac-12-targets-use-oregon-washington-arizona-arizona-state-ucla/"><em>The Athletic by</em> <strong>Andy Staples</strong></a> outlines why the time is now for the <strong>Big 12</strong> to raid the <strong>Pac-12</strong> to create the <strong>Big 16</strong>.</p><p></p><p>My initial reaction to the thought of the Pac-12 disbanding was utter shock. The traditionalist in me hates this. I want to preserve the conference, west coast pride, the alliance to the Rose-Bowl, the Civil War, and other rivalry games.</p><p></p><p>But after careful consideration, would it really be that bad?</p><p></p><p>It was just ten years ago when new Pac-12 commissioner <strong>Larry Scott</strong> made a power-play to raid the Big 12 of six of its members to create the <strong>Pac-16</strong>. Oregon would now be playing <strong>Texas</strong> and <strong>Oklahoma</strong> (<em>the crown jewels of the maneuver</em>) regularly as conference foes. The league would arguably have been the most imposing in the country, the king of college football.</p><p></p><p>Of course, it didn’t happen, Larry Scott fumbled it away as he didn’t have a contingent plan for Texas insisting on having the <strong>Longhorn Network</strong>. We fast forward to today and the Pac-12 has been transformed from the predator to the prey.</p><p></p><p>But the thing is, as the prey, as the loser, after we all simultaneously take one gigantic swallow of pride, we get the poor man’s version of essentially the same thing we lost out on a decade ago. And along with it, the strength, the cash, and the prosperity of being in the most powerful conference in college football.</p><p></p><p>Not a bad consolation prize.</p><p></p><p><span style="font-size: 15px"><strong><strong>The Big 16 Alignment</strong></strong></span></p><p>Per Staples, the obvious brand name picks from the Pac-12 would be <strong>USC, UCLA, Oregon</strong>, and <strong>Washington,</strong> while the not so obvious are <strong>Arizona</strong> and <strong>Arizona State (<em>over Cal and Stanford</em>)</strong>. I believe he’s correct in his assertion.</p><p></p><p>The Big 16 would logically breakdown into East and West divisions. I mean, no way would poor <strong>West Virginia</strong> be expected to fly to the west coast multiple times a year. I would also presume that the eastern division would like to keep the Texas and Oklahoma schools together.</p><p></p><p><em><strong>West:</strong> Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Kansas, Kansas State.</em></p><p></p><p><em><strong>East</strong>: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, West Virginia.</em></p><p></p><p><strong>Where Would the Uninvited Go?</strong>: The Pac-12’s realignment losers would probably join a turbo-charged <strong>Mountain West</strong> or band together to start a new conference while stealing away the best of the Mountain West (<em><strong>Boise State, San Diego State</strong>, etc.</em>).</p><p></p><p>In which it would be right there with the <strong>AAC</strong> as the best non-Power-4 Conference (<em>yes, Power-4</em>). With the inevitability of an expanded College Football Playoff to eight teams, which would guarantee a bid from a non-Power-4 conference, it could seemingly provide an easier path to the playoff then remaining in a Power conference.</p><p></p><p>Ask yourself this: <em>Would it be easier for Oregon State to qualify for the CFP by winning or securing an at-large in the Big-16? Or by being the highest-rated qualifying non-Power-4 school?</em></p><p></p><p>Seeing as how they haven’t won an outright conference championship since 1956 (or partial since 2000), I say the non-Power route.</p><p></p><p><strong>Not playing WSU, Cal, Stanford</strong>: This would be the major pain point. <em>(With Utah and Colorado being such new additions to the Pac-12, we won’t consider them a big deal.)</em> If the Civil War were to continue every year it would leave the Ducks with only two remaining non-conference foes. Presumably one of them would be home game against a cream-puff, and the other against a Power-4 team.</p><p></p><p>This would leave little wiggle room to slide these traditional rivals in, on even an occasional basis.</p><p></p><p><strong>The Rose Bowl: </strong>Shouldn’t be a worry. I can’t imagine the Rose Bowl not aligning itself with the new Big 16 in place of the old Pac-12.</p><p></p><p><strong>A Funny Thought: </strong>Poor Colorado. They jumped ship from the Big 12 ten years ago and now could be on the outside looking in regards to being in a Power conference. Well, we all know what they say about paybacks.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="WVUALLEN, post: 131390086, member: 1112294"] [URL]https://fishduck.com/2020/03/demise-of-the-pac-12-could-bring-rise-of-the-big16/[/URL] [SIZE=6][B]Demise of the Pac-12 Could Bring Rise of the Big16[/B][/SIZE] A recent article in [URL='https://theathletic.com/1652568/2020/03/04/big-12-conference-expansion-pac-12-targets-use-oregon-washington-arizona-arizona-state-ucla/'][I]The Athletic by[/I] [B]Andy Staples[/B][/URL] outlines why the time is now for the [B]Big 12[/B] to raid the [B]Pac-12[/B] to create the [B]Big 16[/B]. My initial reaction to the thought of the Pac-12 disbanding was utter shock. The traditionalist in me hates this. I want to preserve the conference, west coast pride, the alliance to the Rose-Bowl, the Civil War, and other rivalry games. But after careful consideration, would it really be that bad? It was just ten years ago when new Pac-12 commissioner [B]Larry Scott[/B] made a power-play to raid the Big 12 of six of its members to create the [B]Pac-16[/B]. Oregon would now be playing [B]Texas[/B] and [B]Oklahoma[/B] ([I]the crown jewels of the maneuver[/I]) regularly as conference foes. The league would arguably have been the most imposing in the country, the king of college football. Of course, it didn’t happen, Larry Scott fumbled it away as he didn’t have a contingent plan for Texas insisting on having the [B]Longhorn Network[/B]. We fast forward to today and the Pac-12 has been transformed from the predator to the prey. But the thing is, as the prey, as the loser, after we all simultaneously take one gigantic swallow of pride, we get the poor man’s version of essentially the same thing we lost out on a decade ago. And along with it, the strength, the cash, and the prosperity of being in the most powerful conference in college football. Not a bad consolation prize. [SIZE=4][B][B]The Big 16 Alignment[/B][/B][/SIZE] Per Staples, the obvious brand name picks from the Pac-12 would be [B]USC, UCLA, Oregon[/B], and [B]Washington,[/B] while the not so obvious are [B]Arizona[/B] and [B]Arizona State ([I]over Cal and Stanford[/I])[/B]. I believe he’s correct in his assertion. The Big 16 would logically breakdown into East and West divisions. I mean, no way would poor [B]West Virginia[/B] be expected to fly to the west coast multiple times a year. I would also presume that the eastern division would like to keep the Texas and Oklahoma schools together. [I][B]West:[/B] Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Kansas, Kansas State.[/I] [I][B]East[/B]: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, West Virginia.[/I] [B]Where Would the Uninvited Go?[/B]: The Pac-12’s realignment losers would probably join a turbo-charged [B]Mountain West[/B] or band together to start a new conference while stealing away the best of the Mountain West ([I][B]Boise State, San Diego State[/B], etc.[/I]). In which it would be right there with the [B]AAC[/B] as the best non-Power-4 Conference ([I]yes, Power-4[/I]). With the inevitability of an expanded College Football Playoff to eight teams, which would guarantee a bid from a non-Power-4 conference, it could seemingly provide an easier path to the playoff then remaining in a Power conference. Ask yourself this: [I]Would it be easier for Oregon State to qualify for the CFP by winning or securing an at-large in the Big-16? Or by being the highest-rated qualifying non-Power-4 school?[/I] Seeing as how they haven’t won an outright conference championship since 1956 (or partial since 2000), I say the non-Power route. [B]Not playing WSU, Cal, Stanford[/B]: This would be the major pain point. [I](With Utah and Colorado being such new additions to the Pac-12, we won’t consider them a big deal.)[/I] If the Civil War were to continue every year it would leave the Ducks with only two remaining non-conference foes. Presumably one of them would be home game against a cream-puff, and the other against a Power-4 team. This would leave little wiggle room to slide these traditional rivals in, on even an occasional basis. [B]The Rose Bowl: [/B]Shouldn’t be a worry. I can’t imagine the Rose Bowl not aligning itself with the new Big 16 in place of the old Pac-12. [B]A Funny Thought: [/B]Poor Colorado. They jumped ship from the Big 12 ten years ago and now could be on the outside looking in regards to being in a Power conference. Well, we all know what they say about paybacks. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Name
Post reply
×
Disable Video Player
On3
Latest
01
On3 Football
Projecting potential conference realignment if the college sports bill's 20-team caps becomes law
02
On3 Football
College football's Best and Worst of September: Teams, players, coaches, games, moments & more
03
On3 Football
Heisman officials see no good options if the 24-team playoff wipes out December's window
04
On3 Football
Charles Barkley reveals 'weakness' of Auburn: 'We spend so much time worrying about what's happening in Tuscaloosa'
05
On3 Football
ESPN updates FPI rankings for each Big Ten football team after Week 4
Forums
West Virginia
Mountaineer Message Board
Pipe Dream or Reality
Top
Bottom