OT: Windows more or less just forced out an update

SwampDawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2008
2,193
122
63
Get a Mac.

Tell me more. I have been frustrated with Windows 10 for years, and this morning I had to hit the "on" button to get things started. Then I got a message "flashing boot block" whatever in hell that means, and then "HP Bios Update," again, whatever in hell that means. My real question though and I know this displays my true ignorance, if I got a Mac what kind of problems would I have transferring my data from HP Windows 10 to a Mac. I would get somebody like the Geek squad to do it.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,127
9,464
113
If you got a Mac and are a PC guy you would have problems getting it to do basic things. It's so user friendly that it's hard to figure out how to use it...
 

tribaldawg

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2012
502
173
43
Agreed. Get a Mac. There is an adjustment period but once you figure it out the Mac is great. I have never had a virus and it works great when I need to go back and forth with information from my IPhone.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,121
10,655
113
All that was HP's fault.. not Microsoft. If you buy a PC (desktop or laptop) from somebody like Dell, HP or Lenovo the first thing you should do is reinstall Windows.

Rid yourself immediately of all the crap they load on your system before it ships.

The best option is build yourself a PC.. second best option is buy a pre-built.. but never.. EVER.. use their software.
 

thatsbaseball

All-American
May 29, 2007
18,376
7,424
113
I've not done that but I got a question. Is there a simple way to identify the crap programs they installed that I am not using and can I uninstall them individually ?...I've got a Lenovo laptop about 10 months old. Thanks in advance.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,121
10,655
113
Not really. All that stuff wraps up so deep in the operating system there's no way mortal man can remove all traces. You'd have to be a PC god.

Take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
 

SwampDawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2008
2,193
122
63
But what about my question regarding transferring my data from my HP computer to a Mac computer? How much of a task would that be for a Geek squad guy or equivalent?
 

WilCoDawg

All-Conference
Sep 6, 2012
5,264
3,654
113
Chinese hackers, yeah? Imagine that. They’re pretty much virus experts no matter if it’s biological or digital.
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,127
9,464
113
Agreed. But they exist, so reach out if your company needs a security program that can mitigate your risk of losing stuff to them. #spsclassifieds
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,004
2,780
113
Even worse than spam callers who try to get you to buy an extended warranty for your car. At least they are relatively harmless but irritating. Hackers do a lot of damage for basically no reason other than they enjoy screwing things up.
 

Dawg1976

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2012
8,374
2,902
113
No Windows for me. Chromebook. But I'm retired and simply don't have the need for a Windows type machine at this point.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,015
10,171
113
If you got a Mac and are a PC guy you would have problems getting it to do basic things. It's so user friendly that it's hard to figure out how to use it...

Most PC folks just can't get the Mac OS. Not even the novice. I have no explanation.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?