OT: Trail Cameras

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,261
6,497
113
I live on a 3 acre lot in a older subdivision that has all 2.5 to 3 acre lots and we have a group of deer and other wildlife that walks through our neighborhood. My wife has mentioned she would like to put up a trail cam to capture that activity. I am getting her one for Christmas. I definitely want one that is HD capable, works well at night and is of course waterproof. I have been looking but there are so many out there at all price points. So any suggestions on what brands and models the pack has experience with.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,327
24,522
113
We use Covert cameras. They’re expensive but take good pictures and we have the cellular remote type and get the pictures real time.
 

cowbell88

All-Conference
Jan 11, 2009
3,369
1,098
113
I have 5 cameras at the moment. 3 Wildgame innovation, 1 Muddy, 1 Moultrie.

Wildgame take good day and night pictures, Muddy is ok. These are old style that don’t send images to cloud or phone.

Moultrie is on Verizon network and sends images to cloud. Moultrie has an free app that you use to view pictures. I like the cloud option, because my phone is not dinging all through the night. I think picture quality is good. It doesn’t have great signal strength where it’s at, so there is a delay in the upload.

Think the next one I get will be a solar powered cell cam. I’ve picked up Spy Point several times in stores.
 

MaxwellSmart

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
2,614
1,048
113
Most of today's cameras will do a pretty good job. I've used Moultrie for about 5 years with no issues. One of mine is only 4 mp and at the range they shoot, the pix look as good as some of the new more expensive models. Just decide if you want the cell plan or SD card only.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,439
8,868
113
I use the cheap Wildgames, Primos and Tascos, they all work great. For your purposes I'd get one with a cell plan - like the aforementioned Covert - pulling the card often to check for pics would be a PITA.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,729
12,496
113
You don't have to spend much $$ at all to get a good picture for what you want it for. I too live in a residential area on a wooded lot and just wanted to see what was eating all my bird seed and scraps (apple cores, pineapple skins, old veggies, etc) Mine was given to me because it was so "old and outdated". Doesn't have an app, doesn't store pics for you, I just walk outside in the back yard and get the card and download it. Pictures, night and day, are color and excellent. I've got deer, fox (red & gray), coons, opossums, squirrels, rabbits, daily. I've had a hawk swoop in to try to catch a squirrel and what I think was a bobcat but didn't get a complete picture, only a leg, so could have been a small dog. The only complaint I have is the battery life but I bought some "C" size rechargeable ones and fixed that.
 

engie

Sophomore
May 29, 2011
10,763
106
63
Tactacam Reveal if you can find one. $99 and sends pics to your phone for a few dollars a month. I’ve got 4 and love them. Have been less glitchy than my spypoint stuff. I’m pretty addicted to the cell cam game now.
 

PartTimeGenius

Redshirt
Aug 28, 2018
424
3
18
Best cameras available are Reconyx. I don't have the $$ for those, so I go budget route. I currently have 13 or 14 cameras out on our property. 1/2 Moultrie 1/2 Wildgame Innovation. All $75 or less and several are 4+ years old.
Budget friendly option for camera+wireless transmitting would be Wildgame Innovation plus the Spypoint transmitter.

Camera:https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...-mp-19wgiutrrxtrm14mptch/19wgiutrrxtrm14mptch

Transmitter: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...23k89NNkgfnyqBfldhe2jvTjC9gzaK7xoCwTEQAvD_BwE

Sorry for the long links :/
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Recruiting 2028 4-star RB Zaiden Jernigan talks Mississippi State visit
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football 2027 Mississippi State commit Julian "Juju" McDonald shuts down recruitment
  3. 03 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State MBK Assistants speak on size and length added to 26-27 squad
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Go make the play": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby on Defense and responding to Alabama game