OT: The Mandalorian.

drummerdawg

Redshirt
Mar 14, 2013
334
31
28
Agreed. Already shown Ahsoka and Boba and mentioned Thrawn. They are setting things up to bring in more Jedi and I'm anxious to see if they show Luke in his prime. Still not sure how I'd feel about that though.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
This is my favorite show that's still going right now, and I think it's the best Star Wars thing to happen since the original trilogy. In hindsight I would've loved to see what Favreau could do with the sequel movies that just came out, it likely would have been a far more coherent story than what we actually got.

The new episode that came out today was incredible, maybe their best ever. Definitely a holy crap episode with how a certain character was portrayed. And Mando is such a cool character and I'm amazed at how the actor is able to show emotion so well while constantly wearing a helmet that hides his face.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
Agreed. Already shown Ahsoka and Boba and mentioned Thrawn. They are setting things up to bring in more Jedi and I'm anxious to see if they show Luke in his prime. Still not sure how I'd feel about that though.

Yeah they are clearly teasing another Jedi showing up at some point (probably in the season finale) and I'm fascinated to see who it is. I tend to think it probably won't be Luke though. Maybe Ezra from the Rebels animated series? There's an internet theory that maybe Mace Windu has actually been alive this whole time but that seems unlikely too.
 

drummerdawg

Redshirt
Mar 14, 2013
334
31
28
Yeah they are clearly teasing another Jedi showing up at some point (probably in the season finale) and I'm fascinated to see who it is. I tend to think it probably won't be Luke though. Maybe Ezra from the Rebels animated series? There's an internet theory that maybe Mace Windu has actually been alive this whole time but that seems unlikely too.

Probably Ezra. I'm not a big fan of bringing characters back from the dead.....Maul, Boba, Palpatine, etc. But in a way I think they owe it to Luke and the fans to get a glimpse of him in his prime. Need something to get sequel Luke out of our minds. I will always hate RJ and KK for what they did.
 

Trojanbulldog19

All-American
Aug 25, 2014
10,139
5,923
113
He is the best thing in a long time to happen to Disney with the Mandolorian and the MCU. One of the smartest things he did was bring in Dave Filoni from clone wars. Those shows filled in a lot of holes from the prequels. This two know Star Wars cannon. If yall haven’t watched clone wars snd rebels definitely need to. Loved what they did with Boba in this this episode
 

Crucifictorious

Freshman
Jan 31, 2012
513
52
28
Don't forget to blame JJ. His not having a complete story already laid out is why RJ was able to just wing it. Daisy admitted that JJ for years kept telling her different things about Rey's parents up until she got the last script.
 

FQDawg

Senior
May 1, 2006
3,076
618
113
Don't forget to blame JJ. His not having a complete story already laid out is why RJ was able to just wing it. Daisy admitted that JJ for years kept telling her different things about Rey's parents up until she got the last script.

I don't disagree with this but I think the main blame lies with Lucasfilm as a whole. How you can go into it knowing that you're going to make three movies and not at least plan a coherent overarching story for the entire trilogy is beyond me.

It's one thing you have to give Marvel credit for. Once they were a couple of movies in and realized they'd be able to do a larger narrative, they did a really good job of having each subsequent movie tie into the larger whole. Even to the point of parting ways with some directors who wanted to tell their own stories (specifically thinking of Edgar Wright on the first Ant Man but I think there were a couple more instances as well).
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,342
24,543
113
Episode 8 ruined the trilogy because it completely threw out the story arc so then they get JJ to come back and do 9 without a real clear enemy. So let’s bring the emperor back from the dead and the movie starts out “Oh by the way, Palpatine is back.” So disjointed.


And yes it’s lucasfilms fault. They should have hashed the whole thing out before they dove off into the story.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,552
16,349
113
It's the best SW product since the original trilogy. And the story is getting better.
 

00Dawg

Senior
Nov 10, 2009
3,318
575
93
Love the series. Didn't enjoy last night's episode as much. *spoilers ahead

I love that they brought Boba back, but from the moment Mando took off his jetpack (which you can see later was a poorly-written explanation for him not being able to intervene at the stone), most of the fighting setup felt off (oh and how did Boba track them?).
First you've got a steady trickle of incompetent stormtroopers from the first ship just for Fennec to kill for a few minutes, then when Mando arrives to save her, suddenly they all remember to use their blasters, and become crack shots, but only at shooting places where he is protected by Beskar.
Then Boba's re-arrival in armor scene just didn't feel impactful enough, possibly because of the wide open setting, but also just in the small details. I will admit the knee rockets were cool, and the way he took down both transports at the end was, too.

Anyway, the episode felt like a missed opportunity for even cooler things. I'm going to blame first-time-Mandalorian-director Robert Rodriguez and just hope that style of action doesn't happen again.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,129
1,699
113
The first season was just okay to me. This season has been great. Really good action, good characters and good story. I would agree about the last episode being odd in how they explained some things. Other than that episode it has been great though.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,342
24,543
113
You can get lost in details with any show if you sit and think about it.

It’s in pretty much every Star Wars film/show that somebody is sent to look for someone on some random planet and they happen to land very near wherever the person is. It’s a whole planet and they land 20 miles from whoever they’re looking for.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,552
16,349
113
If you're just now complaining about the aim of Stormtroopers, I don't know if SW is for you.
 
Jan 1, 2020
525
0
0
Agreed. Already shown Ahsoka and Boba and mentioned Thrawn. They are setting things up to bring in more Jedi and I'm anxious to see if they show Luke in his prime. Still not sure how I'd feel about that though.

You have to feel better about it than those 3 Abortion films 7,8, and 9 where they completely ruined Luke’s character.
 

00Dawg

Senior
Nov 10, 2009
3,318
575
93
I admit I chuckled at that one.

Thank you.
Look, I know stormtroopers can be cannon fodder or precisely shoot up Jawas as needed, but the let-me-run-straight-at-you-and-then-freeze-without-firing-at-point-blank-range was just too much in yesterday's episode.
 

notoriousD_O_G

Redshirt
Apr 1, 2013
2,710
0
0
The last 3 or 4 episodes have been some of the very best starr wars content ever. Cant wait to see how the rest of this season plays out
 

hdogg

Senior
Nov 21, 2014
1,210
791
113
Thank you.
Look, I know stormtroopers can be cannon fodder or precisely shoot up Jawas as needed, but the let-me-run-straight-at-you-and-then-freeze-without-firing-at-point-blank-range was just too much in yesterday's episode.

My 10 year old said the same thing, unsolicited. At the time I just told him to watch the movie, but am laughing at reading this.
 

Dawgology

Redshirt
Sep 15, 2011
828
1
0
My money is on Ezra too. If Thrawn is alive then Ezra is too in theory.

I don't know that Ezra will show up in the Mandalorian. I think he is being set up as the McGuffin for the new Ashoka Tano series that will spin off of this. It's going to be Tano vs. Thrawn int he search for Ezra.

No...I'm really hoping that it will be Luke. It lines up with him starting up his Jedi Academy. I feel like they will tease him but never show him and leave it as a cliff hangar leading into Season 3. I mean...we ALL know who they need to cast as Luke....Sebastian Stan. This would also help bring a lot of the Star Wars fans that Disney lost with Episode 8 back into the fold.

Also, I know that this past episode was supposed to be about an hour long but the Covid shutdowns killed a lot of this season. That's why we are getting shorter episodes with weird scenes and pacing sometimes.
 

CochiseCowbell

Heisman
Oct 29, 2012
15,694
14,555
113
Not to mention Mando left the child & the high ground TWICE!

I agree this season is better than the first. Best SW stuff in a while. I liked Rogue One, though.
 

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
18,102
4,177
113
Episode 8 ruined the trilogy because it completely threw out the story arc so then they get JJ to come back and do 9 without a real clear enemy. So let’s bring the emperor back from the dead and the movie starts out “Oh by the way, Palpatine is back.” So disjointed.


And yes it’s lucasfilms fault. They should have hashed the whole thing out before they dove off into the story.

The 7-9 trilogy had the opposite problem of the prequel trilogy. The prequels were a coherent story nobody was really asking for. The sequels were incoherent stories people were wanting.
 

Maroonbulldog

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
345
47
28
I really like the format even meaning shorter viewing times. They get in. Tell the story. And wrap it up without a lot of unnecessary filler. That’s a problem w most shows today. Quality is sacrificed to fit a specific time slot.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
If you're just now complaining about the aim of Stormtroopers, I don't know if SW is for you.

What’s funny is they even did a whole bit about it at the end of Season 1, with the two speeder troopers that were guarding the city having target practice where neither one could hit the piece of shrapnel from like 5 feet away, then missed the IG droid from point blank range right after.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
The 7-9 trilogy had the opposite problem of the prequel trilogy. The prequels were a coherent story nobody was really asking for. The sequels were incoherent stories people were wanting.

7-9 was just a complete redo of A New Hope through ROTJ, with the only deviation being that the writers set out to make everyone who watched them feel like they were on drugs.
 

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
18,102
4,177
113
What I was getting at is that people wanted to know what happened after since there was a lot to be told about what our heroes did after toppling the empire. Nobody really wanted to know about how Vader became Vader because we already knew enough from the backstory in V and VI.

Overall the sequels were disappointing and a lot of that has to do with JJ Abrams's ability to write an incredible start to a story but no ability to finish it coherently. Lucas would have delivered better sequel movies even if they would have had cheesy dialogue.
 

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
18,102
4,177
113
I hope we get a few episodes without The Child. I'd like to see development of Mando outside of being a caretaker.

My long-game theory is that The Child is sacrificed to create Snoke.
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,652
7,913
113
I’m not sure whose feelings you hurt, but they were indeed awful. Poe was the only even remotely likeable character from the new cast, they butchered the memories of Luke, Leia, and Solo, and don’t even get me started on angst-driven super brat Kylo Ren. I saw them all once, and I’ll now forget they were ever made.

Now, all that said, Rogue One was fantastic, and I actually liked Solo too. I think it was just released at a time when too much Star Wars content was coming out too quickly
 

Crucifictorious

Freshman
Jan 31, 2012
513
52
28
Agreed on Solo. It holds up on multiple viewings. There are flaws for sure, but they were amplified because of Last Jedi fatigue. Rogue One is the best of the lot, hands down. Of course, I say the best Star Wars movie they've released lately is the final 4 episodes of Clone Wars.
 

Crucifictorious

Freshman
Jan 31, 2012
513
52
28
Its going to be hilarious when all of these women and children have bought baby yoda toys and shirts and backpacks and what have you and Grogu ends up turning to the dark side and killing a bunch of our heroes. You saw how he went HAM on those stormtroopers. He's gonna turn into a Sith lord.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,193
5,731
113
This is my favorite show that's still going right now, and I think it's the best Star Wars thing to happen since the original trilogy. In hindsight I would've loved to see what Favreau could do with the sequel movies that just came out, it likely would have been a far more coherent story than what we actually got.

The new episode that came out today was incredible, maybe their best ever. Definitely a holy crap episode with how a certain character was portrayed. And Mando is such a cool character and I'm amazed at how the actor is able to show emotion so well while constantly wearing a helmet that hides his face.

This came at a really good time for Disney. They had really hurt the value of the Star Wars IP after paying a **** ton for it. Amazing the amount of good source material that was out there for them to borrow (plus they could take pretty much any good story and repackage it into the Star Wars universe) for them to ignore and instead do what they did.
 

Trojanbulldog19

All-American
Aug 25, 2014
10,139
5,923
113
I have a feeling he becomes like many of the force users that are in canon but not really Jedi or with. His attachment to Mando may keep him from becoming Jedi. Instead may end up with the dark saber and leader of mandalor or something of course that might have some issues with Bo Katan.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation