OT: Best time zone for sports

MS-halfstep

Sophomore
Jun 27, 2015
378
176
43
Has gotta be pacific right? I mean I got March madness starting at 9am. NFL night games are over before 10 and you're not dead the next day at work. College football games in the morning at 9am and go all day.

Eastern time zone has gotta be the worst. The one year I in my life I lived in the ET was enough for a lifetime.
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,687
24,540
113
Eastern is the worst. No question. Which is ironic considering its media markets.

The only problem with Pacific is when you’ve got some things to do that day. You don’t have that Saturday morning to check some boxes. Also, Monday Night Football starts at 5pm.

I’ll go Mountain.
 
Nov 16, 2012
2,481
2
0
I think central....I get up on Saturday and screw around in the shop or yard- maybe have a late brunch. Set the dvr for early game then settle down around noon. I zip thru the first dvr hr unless I doze off. By 4 The day is over so might as well watch games until 11.

Sunday is for anything but nfl
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
I’m not gonna feel sorry for Boston, but a few of the bosox World Series games didn’t end until after the 2am hour EST.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,884
6,689
113
Central 1st, then Mountaon 2nd.

Games starting at 9am conflict with too many things. Unable to do a lot of general watching on Saturdays with that schedule.

I like Central for the overall start times on various days. I would like Mountain's overall end times on various days.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
Has gotta be pacific right? I mean I got March madness starting at 9am. NFL night games are over before 10 and you're not dead the next day at work. College football games in the morning at 9am and go all day.

Eastern time zone has gotta be the worst. The one year I in my life I lived in the ET was enough for a lifetime.

I've been living in the Eastern time zone since 1998, and it really sucks for watching sports in my opinion. For example, Monday night football STARTS at 8:30 PM.

Football, like all other sports, was meant to be played during daylight hours.

I agree with you . . . Pacific time zone would be the best by far. College football beginning at 9 AM and being finished around 9 PM? NFL games starting at 10 AM and ending around 8:30 PM?

I'll take it.

Maybe we'll move out there when we retire, and I can watch football while I'm eating breakfast.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,966
714
113
Give me Central all day. As you move west, there are way to many things I like to watch that start while people are still at work.

With Central, I get the morning to accomplish something. The games all hit "prime" times. And everything I give a **** about is over by the time I want to go to bed.
 
Aug 15, 2006
1,924
555
113
Should add an age poll with all these "it's too late to watch..." responses...lol

Have lived in Eastern time zone (NC and KY) since 1995, so much better than Central in everything. Sunsets at 9pm are awesome. West Coast is a different animal, unless you have lived there (did in 1993-94), you have no idea.

Sounds like some of the old farts here need to take naps before they watch sports.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
Should add an age poll with all these "it's too late to watch..." responses...lol

Have lived in Eastern time zone (NC and KY) since 1995, so much better than Central in everything. Sunsets at 9pm are awesome. West Coast is a different animal, unless you have lived there (did in 1993-94), you have no idea.

Sounds like some of the old farts here need to take naps before they watch sports.

View attachment 19764
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,177
5,721
113
Should add an age poll with all these "it's too late to watch..." responses...lol

Have lived in Eastern time zone (NC and KY) since 1995, so much better than Central in everything. Sunsets at 9pm are awesome. West Coast is a different animal, unless you have lived there (did in 1993-94), you have no idea.

Sounds like some of the old farts here need to take naps before they watch sports.

I stayed at a holiday in last night and I can tell you that's not a matter of which time zone you're in.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
Should add an age poll with all these "it's too late to watch..." responses...lol

Have lived in Eastern time zone (NC and KY) since 1995, so much better than Central in everything. Sunsets at 9pm are awesome. West Coast is a different animal, unless you have lived there (did in 1993-94), you have no idea.

Sounds like some of the old farts here need to take naps before they watch sports.


54 years old . . . and (most nights) I can't hardly hold my eyes open past 9-9:30 PM.

However, I get up everyday around 5:30 AM. Obviously, I'm more of a morning person.
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,575
9,668
113
I’ve lived in Eastern for the last 7 years and I’m moving to Pacific next week. Can’t wait. I’d probably go Mountain as best with Pacific close behind. There are going to be some days where basketball or baseball will start while I’m still working or at the gym, but I hate not having basketball start until 9pm. I’d also rather football go all day starting at 9am than have to wait for it. I feel like I never get anything done until the State game is over
 

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,922
1,742
113
When I lived in coastal CA, we'd put the ribs on and turn on NASCAR at 9:00 AM, they'd be ready for lunch at the end of the race. Then you have your whole day ahead of you.
 

msualohadog

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
632
931
93
Gotta admit, I was stationed with the military in Hawaii in the 90s and I was used to waking up early. Football and coffee at 6am while the wife slept. She'd wake up with the kiddos around 10 and we would go to the beach!
 

MS-halfstep

Sophomore
Jun 27, 2015
378
176
43
Some of 5pm starts were a bit annoying when I was commuting to the office, but since working from home it's a non-event now. Mountain time would be good for that I imagine, but never lived in MT zone.

I will admit that I'll sacrifice some of the early kickoff CFB games if I have errands to run, but it's nice to have the option to roll out of bed and the games are starting.
 

Snave

Freshman
Aug 22, 2012
277
76
28
Agree with the Hawaii time zone as being perfect for sports. Got an entire evening free after all events including UFC.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,282
24,398
113
I remember being in Hawaii when the BCS bowls were on. We were eating lunch and watching the “late” game.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,514
16,253
113
Pacific. I have a friend that says he watches MNF then eats dinner. It took me an hour for my brain to unmelt.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,282
24,398
113
Remember when MNF on ABC didn’t start until 8 pm central? It would be midnight sometimes before a good would be over if it went to overtime.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,406
8,834
113
Has gotta be pacific right? I mean I got March madness starting at 9am. NFL night games are over before 10 and you're not dead the next day at work. College football games in the morning at 9am and go all day.

Eastern time zone has gotta be the worst. The one year I in my life I lived in the ET was enough for a lifetime.

Military people stationed in Alaska love it for watching football.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running